Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan in 9 days for 2 weeks 2011/3/9 08:17
Hello,

I am going to Japan from Australia from the 18th of March 11 until 3rd of April.

I am going to see My Uncle with my Nan.

He lives in Nishinamoya (I think thats spelt right!)
Near Kobe and Osaka,
So we are going to these places,

and Kyoto, and Hiroshima.

Can anyone reccomend really good places to go in these Areas?

We are already going to Universal Studios!

Also would 3 pairs of clothes okay to take since I can wash them at my Apartment.

Also what is some really interesting foods to try for a person who has never been?

Also I know there is the bugject section...
But how much would you spend on food per day? especially if you are adventurous?

Any other interesting info you can tell me would be good!

Is the weather very humid? Because I notice the temps will be lowish when we go :S.

So is the hot weather a lot different to Tasmania, Australia?

Anything that gets answered would be awesome!

by TaytheAussie  

... 2011/3/9 10:02
Sounds like you will have a great time!

That area is known for Takoyaki (Octopus Balls) and Okonomiyaki (kind of like a savoury pancake). You should try both while you are there. Japan is full of many interesting foods, be sure to try a good variety if you can.
A good list here:-
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e620.html

Food budget you can spend anything from 1500 yen per day and up if you eat out for all meals, depends on what you wish to eat and where. 3000yen to 5000yen would be eating well.

Three pairs should be ok but I'd probably take four or five.

It will still be cool at night and not humid when you are there. Might be warm during the day but not hot really.

Enjoy your trip!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Thankyou 2011/3/9 11:20
Thanks for the info!

It will take me a week to pack I reckon! I wont be able to decide :S...

And yes I have heard of those foods that I will try. :).

Hopefully all goes to plan

Thanks, If anyone has any otherinfo, just post away!
by TaytheAussie rate this post as useful

Depachika and bakeries 2011/3/11 07:58
Hi, TaytheAussie,

But how much would you spend on food per day? especially if you are adventurous?

As you will stay in Japan for a long time, dining out to a nice restaurants everyday is not realistic. To see the food culture in Japan, the best way should be to visit a local family. If your uncle and Japanese aunt invite you for a dinner, it will of course a good chance. But this depends on the person.

Japanese department stores usually have large food floor in the basement, called Depachika. Depachika food is somewhat expensive as compared to local supermarkets, however, you can see many kinds of take-out foods, from appetizer to desserts. Even you can try free samples there. From Nishinomiya (umm, itfs very close to NishinAmiya), Umeda (near JR Osaka station) or San-no-miya (Kobe) have large department stores.

Bakeries might be an adventurous place. They sell breads fish eggs on top (Mentaiko bread) or sweat bean paste in it (An-pan) which might be a challenge for non-Japanese people. The breads in the bakery are around 150 yen.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Thankyou Frog 2011/3/11 10:57
Thankyou, that was great info!

Well My Uncle wants us to go and and try stuff a lot.

He works at the Wexford Tavern in Nishinamoya I think, and we will eat there a few nights I'm sure. :).

Yes I plan on trying stuff, but I also don't want to blow my budget on food! hehe.

by TaytheAussie rate this post as useful

reply to this thread