Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Travelling in July 2011/3/14 18:08
I have read as many threads as possible and I have also read the generic thread that provides information on the diasaster.
I am a little worried as I will be staying in Shinagawa for two weeks in July.
However at the moment it is perceived that the blackouts will last until late April.

Is it still ok to travel in July?
Or is it best to cancel ?

I will be in Japan from July 2 - July 16

Thank you for any help
by Pawleh  

... 2011/3/14 18:37
However at the moment it is perceived that the blackouts will last until late April.

That is new to me. I was not aware of any announcement. They do not seem to have announced even the schedule for tomorrow's outages.

Is it still ok to travel in July?

I would call it highly likely. Many parts of Japan are ok to travel even now.

Or is it best to cancel ?

Certainly not now. I would wait a few more weeks to see how everything develops.
by Uji rate this post as useful

. 2011/3/14 19:30
We meant to travel Japan in August (Aomori, Akita, Tokio).
Yesterday I had a phonecall with my sister and her boyfriend who both are physicists.
I asked them for their opinion.
They advised against traveling Japan.
Firstly one can not know whether to trust the information provided on radioactive contaminiation.
Secondly you cannot feel the danger, but it can be in the air, in the food, in the water.
Thirdly one does have only one health.

Nevertheless, we will wait what will bring the next few weeks before cancelling our trip. And if we keep the flight bookings we will certainly prefer to travel the southern half of Japan.
by Tokaido 2007 rate this post as useful

July 2011/3/14 19:57
I have flight and hotels booked in Tokyo and Kyoto for 8th to 23th July and I for sure will not change my plans to travel to Japan.
It is a lot of time till July, they will surely get back to normal before that.
by DDoS rate this post as useful

Thank you 2011/3/15 05:58
Thank you for all of the information

Uji, I believe I read it on The Japan Times website, I also heard it briefly on one of the news channels in the UK, but it may be incorrect, I just want to stay a specific thanks to you as you've helped me a lot over the past few weeks.

Thanks again everyone.
For now, I won't cancel, there is still a good 3 1/2 months left until we leave.
by Pawleh rate this post as useful

reply to this thread