Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

heavy snow in Takayama and Shirakawa-go? 2011/3/20 19:14
Travelling the end of March. Wondering if hiking boots are enough for my kids or if I need the heavy snow boots still. Anyone know the actual walking conditions there?
by lab (guest)  

... 2011/3/20 21:14
Unless you go immediately after a big snowfall, it is usually not necessary to bring snow boots, although too low shoes come with an increased risk of some snow entering the shoes, which can result it wet feet. But generally, the walking trails are tramped down and don't have deep snow and can usually be walked fine without special shoes. Only if you want to get off the trails, will you be in trouble without snow shoes. Only after or a big snowfall, snow can accumulate enough so that snow shoes are recommended. There might also be water pools from melted snow along the trails, which are more conveniently crossed by snow shoes. But I don't think it is worth bringing special shoes just for a day in Shirakawago.

If you stay overnight, note that many minshuku lend snow shoes to staying guests.

Also, if you go in normal shoes, be careful about slippery trails.

The current snow depth is around 1.5 meters in Shirakawago, while there is almost no snow in Takayama.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread