Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

ATM help 2011/3/30 04:20
I finally have decided to go-leaving March 31st.
Based upon uncertainty, I will be landing at Narita without any yen. I know exchange rates are usually higher at airports but I don't know how well ATMs (citibank) are working in Tokyo.
Should I just get $200 at airport and pay the fees? Suggestions?
by karenb348 (guest)  

Retes 2011/3/30 09:42
Unless your number one priority is to line up at a foreign exchange counter on arrival, it is highly recommended to have yen at hand for immediate usages at Japanese airports e.g., for public transportation from airport to downtown, vendor drink machines etc

Many post offices or 711 accept foreign ATM cards, commonly without charge. Few ATM allow foreign card holders to draw daily max limited cash in yen. For your safety, after verifying with your bank, it is recommended to carry a few ten thousand yen preferably, rather than major foreign currencies, especially for passengers arriving on late evening or early morning flights.

Welcome to Japan.
by Donaldl rate this post as useful

Exchange Rates 2011/3/30 10:12
Exchange rates at Japanese airports are not bad, unlike in the abysmal rates you get at US airports. If you decided to change money at a US airport, do only a bare minimum. However, I have never done this as the exchange desk at Narita is right outside of customs. I usually arrive in the early evening.

I was in Narita two days after the earthquake and some ATMs at the airport were down, but some were working, so it just involved a bit of wandering. I assume they are all up now, but that's a guess. (Maybe a more recent visitor can confirm?) In town, ATMs were fine, but a few were inside of stores that had limited their hours so they weren't as convenient as they normally are. (Citibank works with ATMs at 7-11s and Japan Post offices.)

If you want to get a ton of money at the airport (via either exchange or ATM) to be safe, theft is not a major problem in Japan. Your biggest worry in carrying wads of cash would be if you were prone to misplacing things. :-)
by Guest (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2011/3/30 12:17
I find the exchange rates at Japanese airports to be a good deal especially when compared to the rip off rates given in the USA.

by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

Citibank ATM right inside terminal 2011/3/30 12:25
There is a Citibank ATM right inside the terminal. If I remember correctly, turn right as you come out of customs and it's about 20 feet or so away (on the wall opposite of the escalator you take to get to the trains)

(I actually used this on my second trip in order to avoid additional exchange fees from the counters)

Citibank also has branches throughout Tokyo. I had no problems withdrawing whenever I needed more cash. However, do call them before you fly out to let them know you are going and the length of your stay. This will prevent them from flagging or blocking your account for potential fraud.

(should do this with all credit cards you plan to use).
by Tensai (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread