Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Funding studies (APU)? 2011/6/18 17:27
I'm currently in the US as an international student, but I'm seriously considering transferring to Ritsumeikan APU in Beppu. The biggest issue I feel I could have is money. My parents are funding my education, and are able to pay for it just fine, but it's on a month-to-month basis. They're willing to take out a loan for all the enrollment fees and payments, but after that it's a tight budget. I'm worried that I'll need a financial guarantee like I was asked to study in the US - I was only able to accomplish that because my home state in Mexico has an agreement with the school I'm currently attending and guarantees the necessary amount if we are unable to pay for it (which we never have). For Japan, I've read that proof of parent support to cover your expenses in the future is sufficient. Is that true? Would I be able to do this without having all the funds in the bank from the get-go?

Also, I'd love to hear from people with any experience at APU (if there are any). Anything at all, but I'm specifically wondering about the scholarship system. I studied in the US from 5th-8th grade, in Canada through all of high school, and I'm a Mexican citizen only. I currently have A's in all my classes in college save for one B (3.9 GPA), with a 3.6 GPA in high school plus honor roll and NHS throughout, and on the Dean's List now. I'm only listing all of this because I'm wondering what my chances could be at a high scholarship/tuition reduction? If I'm accepted, I can't exactly pay sticker price.

Sorry if it's too much information or if there's an obvious question up there, but I want to know exactly how this will go before making such a big decision to transfer!
by jesscz  

Wouldn't bother 2011/6/20 10:32
Personally, I wouldn't bother trying to study in japan unless you have an objective that can only be fulfilled by attending a college in japan like you want to learn Japanese or something along those lines.

There are financial aids for international students but it doesn't compare to how much you can get from a university in the states. Plus, the yen is expensive right now.
Secondly, getting a degree in the states has more value than one in japan unless you plan on finding a job in Japan, IMO.
by Buttmunch (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2011/6/20 11:01
I'm already considering all the pros, cons, and personal reasons for studying in Japan. I'm not really looking for advice on whether I should apply or not, but about actually applying should I decide to.

And actually, I don't get any sort of financial aid at all in the US, since I'm here as an international student. I have no scholarship opportunities at my college in comparison to what APU offers.
by jesscz rate this post as useful

scholarships 2011/6/20 19:42
there are scholarships available but they're extremely competitive. i don't want to sound racist but the east asian students are like terminators - they tend to absorb every single available scholarship and leave no chance for anyone else to get one.

if you can't afford the sticker price for at least 1 year i'd say immigration won't even give you a visa - they'll deny your application.

yes your parents do need to be able to support you, and when you first arrive in japan you're not allowed to work. immigration does expect that you will defray some of your costs by working part time, however the tuition rates are far higher than what most people can pay by themselves simply through part time work.

initially you'll need to show enough money for tuition at the school (first term+entrance expenses) plus around 400,000yen for initial living costs for the first 3 months you're in japan without being able to work.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread