Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Budget/spending money, 2 weeks in Tokyo 2011/6/26 22:00
I've got a two week trip planned to Tokyo in the coming weeks and I was hoping to get opinions/pointers from people with experience with traveling in Japan/Tokyo.
My flights and accommodation are booked. I have 70000yen for food and sightseeing (two weeks).
I'm usually good at living on a budget and have a good idea on how to go about this while staying in Japan .
I was wondering if anyone has any additional tips for living on this much money?

I'm eighteen and traveling alone (this might be useful information, I'm not sure.) I'm looking forward to a day trip to Kusatsu Onsen! From what I can tell, I can easily get a bus to and from Shinjuku Station (which is only a few minutes away from my hotel.)
by Comte (guest)  

Food 2011/6/27 17:09
Are you staying at hostel or hotel? You can save lots of money at a hostel. I loved Toco Heritage Hostel ( not hotel). It was renovated out of a 100 year old house. Very atmospheric but had wonderful new shower and toilet facilities ( warm toilet seats hehe).

Also they have a kitchen so you can bring food in. I found that at night is the best time to shop, they slash prices in grocery stores so you can get such a great deal! I got 14 pack of gyzoyas for about .60 cents each pack. I bought three! And they had fresh meals ( like soba or sushi or so on) that were 80% off! Same thing with 'bento' style boxes that had rice, sushi, egg, or meat patty or veggies...

What kind of things are you thinking of doing? Probably you'll drop some cash on transport for the train/metro. A lot of attractions like museums are pretty well priced ( ie zoo is like $6-7 I think;p)
by Min (guest) rate this post as useful

transport 2011/6/27 17:15
At Y5000 per day depends how far you want to go and what you like to see? Temples and Gardens are around Y300-Y500 entry and some are free. If you want to go further out of Tokyo like Hakone Kamakura etc often taking a train that will take longer to get there is cheaper, or sometimes you can get a tourist specific ticket at a discount.

I can budget and I've been to Japan many times-I could eat/transport/visit musuems gardens and temples on this budget but you haven't left any money for all the cool things you'll find along the way- maybe I just like to shop?
by Jojo (guest) rate this post as useful

Taco Heritage Gostel 2011/6/27 18:48
Hi Min,

I read your post above and is kinda interested to stay at the hostel for my trip to Tokyo next year. I am wondering if you have their email so that i can make some querries to them as i could not find their homepage and bookings are only able to book through other website.

Thanks.
by kooks rate this post as useful

Hey 2011/6/27 19:38
Dude, check out hostelworld . com it's full of hostels in tokyo :)
by Damon (guest) rate this post as useful

ehhhhhhhh 2011/6/28 00:05
Disappointing replies about hostels! Like I said, I've already booked! ;P
I'm staying at 'Hotel Sunroute Higashi Shinjuku'.
I think I'll go with spending some days exploring peacefully, not spending much money, and others spending a bit more on the cool things.
by Comte (guest) rate this post as useful

budget 2011/6/28 03:49
Comte, there are LOTS of cheap food places everywhere.
Many are concentrated by a train/ subway station. Some have photos and prices of dishes in the windows (usually a big bowl of rice or noodles, with meat, vegetables etc..). Others have realistic wax models of their various dishes, including full meals with several courses. Again there are prices by each one.

I am one of these tourists that don' t buy much stuff. Clothes don't fit Western people and really interesting souvenirs are too big or /and expensive.
My buddy and I seldom spend more than Y 5000 each for food, local transit etc.
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

Were going as well 2011/6/30 06:46
Hey, I know how you feel. Me and my partner are also visiting tokyo for 2 weeks in a few days. We've also booked one hotel for the duration. The info I have is purely from research and not yet experience, so it maybe helpful. Alot of other websites and books have advised us to eat 'set meals' or "setto" as they can cost about 500yen. If you start buying bits singularly it'll rack up the bill. Also department store restaurants are meant to be cheaper as well, so they maybe worth a try. Me and my partner have sorted out and itinerary to try and get the most out of our trip, but it seems we have a much higher budget than yourself. It would be worth researching cost of places you want to visit, so you can decide on which places are worth visiting and cost effective. I would definitely advise you to decide on an itinerary and plot out were you want to visit, so you get more out of your trip. Hope it helps!
by Rebbecca (guest) rate this post as useful

? 2011/6/30 08:24
"Clothes don't fit Western people..."

that's rather a gross generalization. i've bought clothes that fit perfectly.
by jin (guest) rate this post as useful

why 'Hotel Sunroute Higashi Shinjuku'? 2011/6/30 09:58
Am searching for 7-day stay near center of city up to $75/night with room Internet.
Curious why you chose 'Hotel Sunroute Higashi Shinjuku'? It appears to be over $100/night? (but singles sold out in July)
by TravelPhotographer rate this post as useful

reply to this thread