Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How long is Philosopher's Path? 2011/6/27 03:51
My friend and I are planning on going to Kyoto during the cherry blossom season and would love to see the philosopher's path. We are planning ahead to get a general idea of how much time we will have to sight see and do workshops, so I was wondering if anyone could tell me the average amount of time that we should set aside to walk the Philosopher's Path and take the side trips to see the temples along the way. If anyone can help, we would greatly appreciate it.
by ShdwBound  

not long 2011/6/27 13:00
It took me about 30 minutes (walking pace)
by himcia rate this post as useful

the rest 2011/6/27 13:02
the shrines are the begin and at the end of the path. I recommend a whole day (counting Nanzenji, Ginkakuji etc) or at least a half.
by himcia rate this post as useful

.... 2011/6/27 13:21
It depends on individuals but we spent a full day starting at the silver pavilion at opening time. There are temples all along the path up Nanzen-ji and in my view those in between are definitely worth stopping to look at too, some provide great views across Kyoto like Eikan-do with beautiful blossom of their own, and others like Honen-in are mossy and tranquil. A few snacks, a purchase or two and lunch meant we needed the full day. I can't recommend it highly enough, especially if you manage to luck into the peak of the blossom for your visit as we did.
by Toni (guest) rate this post as useful

30 mins to an hour 2011/6/27 13:34
I have only been in summer and the path is relatively free of traffic then. I'd say if you kind of just go straight through it's likely 30 mins but during that time of year with more foot traffic and photo taking it would be longer.

I don't think the silver pavilion is really worth spending hours at, but certainly a great place to visit in Kyoto. Nanzenji is great at the end of the day. I have never been in, but I have gotten there around 6 or 7 both times I did the walk and it is a nice reflective place to sit in the little park area and around the aqueduct. In fact, it is one of my favorite temples even though I have never made it in.
by amfenrick rate this post as useful

It's our favourite... 2011/6/27 13:55
Well we have done that walk each trip to Kyoto, except our last (last week) because it was too hot. Silver Pavillion is significant to lovers of architecture, I havent really appreciated it as much as Japanese friends have, however the walk through the grounds is spectacular, I'd allow maybe 3/4 hour for that, and the incense from the kiosk there is our favourite (the tea is also really good). There are then a few touristy shops outside the temple and along the path, maybe 20 minutes or so into the walk there is a nice ramen restuarant if you are hungry. If you are not stopping for a snack, I suppose the walk would take 3/4 hour or a little more, then ryoanji takes a fair while because it is so big, though at the moment we generally climb the gate and visit the aquaduct area, but even that is maybe a half hour. All up I'd allow an easy 3 - 4 hours.
by Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

minimum half day 2011/6/27 14:13
Starting at Ginkakuji, then visiting Honen-in, Eikando and Nanzenji, with a final look in at Tenjuan (at the entrance to Nanzenji) with fuel stops is easily a very long half day or more. Your feet and legs and hips will be very tired by the end of all that. Keage subway station is always a relief after the walk, but very worth it in Cherry Blossoms season: absolutely breath-taking if your timing is right.
We have walked it in early March and November, and were disappointed as it looks a bit straggly without blossoms, and bare branch trees, but the time we went with the full blossoms happening was amazing.
Enjoy!!
by fmj rate this post as useful

Hmm... 2011/6/29 13:21
If you ONLY want to walk the path, then I'd say 40 minutes - 1 hour (with picture time).

If you want to walk the path AND visit the temples and shrines along the way, give yourself half a day. You can see Ginkakuji, Honen-in, Eikando, Nanzenji, etc. in half a day. That should give you plenty of time to see the sites without having to rush.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

reply to this thread