Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kiyomizudera in spring: day or night? 2011/8/28 17:32
Hello! I will be visiting Japan in April next year (sorry if this question is too in advance. Just getting all the planning done). Here is my itinerary for one of the days (Friday) we will be spending in Kyoto:

Kinkakuji Temple  Ginkakuji Temple  Philosopherfs path  Heian Shrine  Maruyama Park  Yasaka Shrine  Higashiyama district  Kiyomizudera.

I'm worried it might be a little tight, even if I intend to go to Kinkakuji first thing in the morning (get there by 9am), and then Kizomizudera closes at 6pm. BUT I found that there is a special evening opening during early April. It might be too different (in a bad way?) from an afternoon experience though. I wanted to ask for other people's opinions.

What would be a better experience: visiting Kiyomizudera temple during the day (Say, 4.30-6pm) or in the evening for the Spring Illumination (6.30 onwards)? Assuming I can only do one.

Any comment is appreciated ^^
by Karen Y  

... 2011/8/28 18:45
If you can't see both, I recommend daytime when the temple can be seen under normal conditions. The light up is interesting with fancy lasers, but you will miss on the temple's normal state.
by Uji rate this post as useful

. 2011/8/28 21:15
I see. Yikes. I'll try budgeting my time then (or changing the itinerary a bit) to catch the temple during the day as much as possible.

Thanks again for the advice, Uji!
by Karen Y rate this post as useful

reply to this thread