Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Moraiyu 2012/5/25 00:37
I try to google translate jalan.net for accommodations in Fukuchi Onsen. As you know some Japanese words are not translated. I am curious to this term 'Moraiyu'. I think it is something to do with visit to other onsen while you are a guest at one of the onsens here? Can anyone please elaborate on what does Moraiyu mean?

Thanks,
Mel
by Melanie Putra  

Re: Moraiyu 2012/5/25 13:58
"Google translate" accuracy rate about 90“.
http://bit.ly/JgLOb5
by DF (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Moraiyu 2012/5/25 14:24
Hi Mel

I'm a native Japanese. "Moraiyu" basically means "to take a bath of another family with favor of the family" Before your taking the bath, the family member will usually say, "Use this bathroom freely just as a your bathroom because you are my guest today." It comes from the usage of old days when some people having no bathroom in their own house want to take a bath anywhere. "Moraiyu is a kind of hospitality for another person.
by dosanko100 rate this post as useful

Re: Moraiyu 2012/5/26 02:20
Ummm.... So in the case of Onsen Village like Fukuchi, what is the concept of Moraiyu in relation to guests? Does it mean guests can also visit other Onsen to bath? How does it work? How many onsens can you visit?
by Melanie Putra rate this post as useful

Re: Moraiyu 2012/5/26 03:59
Hiya again, Mel

Yes! You're exactly right!
In addition to taking a (outdoor) bath of Fukuchi Onsen Village, guests can also visit another distant (outdoor) bath "with no extra charge" (just as the bath of the Fukuchi village). It seems to me that this extra bath will be specified later by the village staffs. You can go to the extra bath by walk with wearing traditional Japanese clothes (yukata).

The "free" service is a kind of hospitality for all people visiting the Fukuchi village having almost no spot around there except these two outdoor baths (it automatically means that the number of outdoor baths you can take is two).

The Fukuchi village says that this free service will be expired on Novermber 30, 2012, so don't miss a chance.
If you visit the Fukuchi village on December 1, you will have to pay extra charge for it.

BTW,
onsen = spa (indoor or outdoor)
Fukuchi is a place name.

Re: Moraiyu 2012/5/28 18:58
I went to Kinosaki Onsen a few years ago. There are 6-7 bath houses, which, if you stay in one of the local lodgings, you can visit for free as many times as you like. Similar system to this or no?

Re: Moraiyu 2012/5/28 19:09
This "Moraiyu" program that they are currently having in Fukuchi is, yes, in essence the same as what you experienced in Kinosaki, and it is often called "Yu-meguri" (visiting around hot springs/onsen), meaning visiting the baths of inns other than the one you are staying at. In this case, it is free of extra charge, so it comes with even more sense of hospitality.
The original meaning of "moraiyu" is as explained as dosanko100.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Moraiyu 2012/6/8 04:07
It will expire 30th Nov 2012... Is it due to winter period? I am visiting on the 17th Apr, 2013. Will Moraiyu be available again in Apr?

Also, is Moraiyu only limited to Fukuji Onsen? How about Hirayu Onsen or Shin Hotaka?

I am still undecided which of these Onsen Village to stay at...

Tq,
Mel

Re: Moraiyu 2012/6/8 16:26
Hiya again

Is it due to winter period? I am visiting on the 17th Apr, 2013. Will Moraiyu be available again in Apr?

Nothing has been announced yet about what will happen in the winter period, so nobody here (even people living in Japan) knows if Moraiyu will be available in April 2013. The Web site only says, "we will stop the Moraiyu service temporarily on the end of November."

Also, is Moraiyu only limited to Fukuji Onsen? How about Hirayu Onsen or Shin Hotaka?

As far as my searching for google, a free extra service similar to Moraiyu does not exist in Hirayu Onsen or Shin Hotaka Onsen. I wasn't able to identify similar free services there.

I am still undecided which of these Onsen Village to stay at...

A small inn (called Sasaya) of Shirahone Onsen (in Matsumoto) seems to provide a Moraiyu service, but this is uncertain information confirmed yet by me (Only one blog page written by a person visiting the Sasaya inn two years ago says that he was able to visit another inn (Awanoyu) with no extra charge)

Sasaya (a Shirahone Onsen inn)
http://www.shirahone.org/facilities-list/inn/konashinoyu/
Awanoyu (another Shirahone Onsen inn)
http://www.shirahone.org/facilities-list/inn/awanoyu-ryokan/
In Awanoyu, men and women use the same outdoor bath (called kon-yoku, or mixed bathing).

Do you prefer an onsen village offering a similar Moraiyu service rather than an onsen village offering no Moraiyu service?

Re: Moraiyu 2012/6/8 16:37
just to correct a typo of my last answer.

wrong:
uncertain information confirmed yet by me

correct
uncertain information NOT confirmed yet by me

Re: Moraiyu 2012/6/8 20:32
I guess a place offering Moraiyu is more attractive due to added activity, But I am only deciding between Hirayu, Fukichi and Shin Hotaka... Since I will be traveling from Matsumoto to Takayama it is easy to do a stop-over. Now just considering which of the 3 should I stay at... Main factors are beautiful settings, convenience...

Re: Moraiyu 2012/6/9 10:34
The specific concept of "Moraiyu" might not be offered at many other onsen towns, but in most towns it is possible to visit the baths of other ryokan (or the town's public baths, if there are any) for an admission fee (typically between 300 and 1500 yen) during daytime.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread