Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Yakushima planning 2012/6/4 06:37
Hello people,

I'm going to Yakushima this summer for 2 days and, after reading a lot about the trails, I'm still not sure about what to do.
I'd like to see the Jomonsugi and Mononoke Hime no mori, and also Yakusugi Land if there's time.
I will land in the island a Monday at 11am and leave a Wednesday at midday, going all alone and using public transport.
Do you think doing both Shiratani unsuikyo and Arakawa trails is viable? How would you organize it time wise? And where'd be the best place to settle?

Thanks!
by aitan (guest)  

Re: Yakushima planning 2012/6/4 09:54
Do you think doing both Shiratani unsuikyo and Arakawa trails is viable?

If you look at a hiking map, you can see that you could actually combine the two into a single tour. But be warned that the connecting trail between the Arakawa trail and Shiratani seems to be very tiring and time-consuming - although judging from just the distance it does not seem to be that long. Only if you are an exceptionally fit hiker, can hike at a fast pace and are able to figure out the transportation issues, should you to attempt combining the Jomonsugi and Shiratani into a single day:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4653.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Yakushima planning 2012/6/5 01:13
Thanks for your answer.
I already considered combining both trails in one day, but I'm not an experienced hiker and I'm afraid I can't complete it on time.
I was thinking on starting the Shiratani trail once I arrive to Miyanoura at 11h, leave the Arakawa one for the day after, and if I have time, Yakusugi the day after before I leave the island at midday (12h).
Another option could be start the Shiratani trail the first day and continue to Jumonsugi, but sleeping in one of the huts, to come back to Ando the next day.
Anyone tried this? Are the huts a good option to stay?
by aitan (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread