Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Yakushima in October 2012/7/14 12:57

I am dying to visit Yakushima, but deter by many reports saying "it rains 365 days a year".
I dislike the idea of "hiking in the rain"

Upon doing more research I notice that October is supposed to be a better month, weather wise. Could anyone please confirm this.

I would really appreciate any feedback, especially from any member who has been there during the month of October.
by liem (guest)  

Re: Yakushima in October 2012/7/14 13:29
Indeed, October is the driest month relatively speaking, especially mid October. Along the coast, mid October records "only" around 33% rainy days. The interior is always more prone to rain than the coast, though.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Yakushima in October 2012/7/16 03:45
I've been there at several different times of year. There have always been a few days of rain and a few days without rain, but you don't get to pick, you just have to be prepared. I use a gore-tex windbreaker which is a bit more comfortable than a waterproof rain jacket, and have some waterproof chaps that can slip over my boots if I need them. I also carry a small umbrella when it isn't raining enough for the full gear.

If you're climbing Miyanoura-dake, the peak area has a lot of low growth bamboo which holds water even when it's not raining and you can get soaked while walking through it if you don't have the rain gear. If you are just heading to Yakusugi-lando, an umbrella or rain jacket can get you around the short trails in that area.

It's just like the Black Cuillens on the Isle of Skye - if you're afraid of rain, then stick to the roads at the bottom. If you want to do the traverse, then get ready to get your feet wet.
by Anaguma (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yakushima in October 2012/7/16 13:26
Anaguma,
I'm wondering if you could comment on what Yakushima is like in January. I have read and seen photos of snow, and that some areas would require crampons in order to hike through.

If you had only one chance to visit Yakushima and it was during January, would you recommend going? Would it be significantly better to visit in mid-late December?

Aaron
by Aaron (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yakushima in October 2012/7/21 10:27

Uji-san, Anaguma-san, thank you for your information.

I would not mind to get my feet wet, but dislike the idea of having to hike so many hours in the rain.
So October should be,hopefully I would experience a clear day when I am there.
by liem (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread