Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Extending a JR Kansai Wide Area Pass 2012/7/17 06:53
I plan to go from Shin-Osaka Station to Kanazawa Station on the last day that my JR Kansai Wide Area Pass is active.

I plan to board a Thunderbird Limited Express train bound towards Kanazawa and take a unreserved seat. The JR Kansai Wide area pass will allow me to get on the train and ride it as far as Tsuruga, but not all the way to Kanazawa.

I am willing to pay to just stay in the same seat, but my question is: how much will it cost me? Here are unreserved seat fees:
Shin-Osaka -- Tsuruga = 3990 yen
Tsuruga -- Kanazawa = 3990 yen
Shin-Osaka -- Kanazawa = 6930 yen

Will I pay a seperate ticket fee of 3990 yen, or will I be able to pay just the extra 2940 yen to extend my trip?

Can this trick of extending the range by paying the cost difference also be used to pay for a shinkansen extension from Shin-Osaka to Hiroshima?

My guess is that the answer is that I will need to have a separate ticket for the additional leg of the journey, but I thought I would ask the question.

If it is possible to pay to extend my journey, should I visit the ticketing counter at Shin-Osaka station before I get on the train, or, should I pay the ticketing conductor on the train?
by ebaychucky311  

Re: Extending a JR Kansai Wide Area Pass 2012/7/17 14:19
I am willing to pay to just stay in the same seat

That cannot be guaranteed because you can take only non-reservation space with this Pass.

My guess is that the answer is that I will need to have a separate ticket for the additional leg of the journey.

I presume itfs a correct answer.

should I visit the ticketing counter at Shin-Osaka station before I get on the train, or, should I pay the ticketing conductor on the train?

I suppose you can do the latter. However, regardless of whether you pay for your pass outside or inside Japan, it seems you will have to visit a JR-West office at least once to get the Pass, which can be your chance to confirm about your questions.
- http://www.jr-odekake.net/en/jwrp/kansai_wide.html

Please note that in Shin-Osaka there are also offices of JR-Central, which is using its orange JR icon and operating Shinkansen between Shin-Osaka and Tokyo.
When you have to wait, be sure that the queue leads to a designated office of JR-West, which is using its blue JR icon.
- http://www.japanrailpass.net/images/logo/jr_05.gif

Each of the fees you have listed consists of a base fare and a Shinkansen charge.

A JR regular non-reservation express ticket is valid for two consecutive calendar days.
If there is a vacant seat to be reserved, you can once (but only once) switch from a non-reservation ride to a ride with reservation by paying for the gap (even on the train), but you cannot vice versa. A gap in the charges varies from 310 yen to 710 yen.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Extending a JR Kansai Wide Area Pass 2012/7/17 15:53
-Will I pay a seperate ticket fee of 3990 yen, or will I be able to pay just the extra 2940 yen to extend my trip?
You need to pay 3990yen.

-Can this trick of extending the range by paying the cost difference also be used to pay for a shinkansen extension from Shin-Osaka to Hiroshima?
Yes, it can. You need to pay the fare for Okayama - Hiroshima.

-My guess is that the answer is that I will need to have a separate ticket for the additional leg of the journey, but I thought I would ask the question.
Your guess it right.

-If it is possible to pay to extend my journey, should I visit the ticketing counter at Shin-Osaka station before I get on the train, or, should I pay the ticketing conductor on the train?
Both ways works and the fare is the same at the ticket counter or on the train.

by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Extending a JR Kansai Wide Area Pass 2012/7/18 00:51
Thank You, for your replies. I will probably wait until after I pass Tsuruga Station, and just pay the ticketing agent on the train.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread