Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR Pass yes or no? 2012/8/3 11:39
I've been trying to use the hyperedia site but I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly. I'll be in Japan for 2 weeks and plan on hopping around place to place like so:

Tokyo, Yokosuka, Omiya, Takayma, Gero, Kyoto, Osaka, Nara, Mt Koya, Tokyo, Yokohama.

I wasn't sure if I should invest in a JR pass or not. And the hyperedia site made the whole train system look extremely scary.
by KayliaK  

Re: JR Pass yes or no? 2012/8/3 13:00
The simple rule is to buy JR Pass if you do A ROUND TRIP between Tokyo(or Airport in Tokyo) and Osaka,

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361.html
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2012/8/3 14:03
That rule applies to the 7-day JR Pass.

For your trip the 7-day JR Pass looks like a reasonable option. A 14-day JR Pass would not pay off.

Just make sure all your travel away from Tokyo is within 7-days. ie. Tokyo - Takayama - Gero - Kyoto - Osaka - Nara - Tokyo. If you can't fit this into 7 days (you probably can't) then individual tickets will probably be more cost effective. You could also consider using the bus for some sections if you wish to save money (eg Tokyo - Takayama by bus).

If you have any Hyperdia questions just ask away!

Enjoy your trip!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass yes or no? 2012/8/6 00:03
Maybe I didn't use the hyperdia site correctly, but if I did then it seemed like all the traveling done while we're there would make a 14 day JR pass beneficial.

I think I'm confused now. :/
by KayliaK rate this post as useful

... 2012/8/6 00:35
Which airport do you arrive and depart from?

Tokyo, Yokosuka = 1050 one way
Tokyo, Omiya = 540 one way
Tokyo - Takayama = 13540 (or 6500 by bus)
Takayama - Gero = 1580 non-reserved (or 910 by local train)
Gero - Kyoto = 7920
Kyoto - Osaka = 500
Osaka - Nara = 500
Nara - Shin-imamiya = 540 yen (rest of Mt Koya path is outside JR)
Shin-Imamiya - Tokyo = 13950
Tokyo - Yokohama = 450

Total = 42610

(assume return from Omiya,Yokosuka and Yokohama)

14 Day JR = 45100

I guess if you add transfer from Narita it gets closer, but you could take bus from Tokyo - Takayama and then individual is probably better.

Feel free to adjust above as required!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass yes or no? 2012/8/6 01:46
We'll probably cut Yokosuka out because my friend is just going to meet us at Yokohama. But when I was playing on the hyperdia site the time you were traveling seemed to make a difference in the cost? First thing in the morning was more expensive than traveling in the evening? And what price do you pay attention to? The total, the seat fee or the fare? It's all a little confusing. I was also factoring in the transfer to and from Narita Airport. This is kind of how I have itinerary going at the moment:

8/16 arrive Narita Airport 8:40pm
8/17 explore Tokyo
8/18 Tokyo to Yokohama and then back Tokyo
8/19 Tokyo to Omiya and then back to Tokyo
8/20 Tokyo to Takayama
8/21 Takayama to Gero and then back to Takayama
8/22 Takayama to Kyoto
8/23 Kyoto to Osaka and then back to Kyoto
8/24 Kyoto to Nara and then back to Kyoto
8/25 Kyoto to My Koya and then back to Kyoto
8/26 Kyoto to Tokyo
8/27-8/30 Explore Tokyo & Depart from Narita Airport 8:30pm

Thanks for the help I really appreciate it!
by KayliaK rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass yes or no? 2012/8/6 03:49
What does the total fare consist of?
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2018.html
by cc (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass yes or no? 2012/8/6 08:30
You can buy a 7-day Japan Rail Pass and use it from Aug. 20 to Aug. 26. JRP makes sense when you do inter-city long distance trips.

For your travel to/from Narita airport and around TOkyo, you can buy the NEX & Suica package (Narita express tickets and Suica prepaid card for local travel with good discount) when you arrive in Narita.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass yes or no? 2012/8/6 09:36
But when I was playing on the hyperdia site the time you were traveling seemed to make a difference in the cost? First thing in the morning was more expensive than traveling in the evening?

The time does not matter, the fare is calculated by the route and train type. Note that the JR pass doesn't cover non JR trains, so take that into consideration when pricing your trip. See this page for more info:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361.html

And what price do you pay attention to? The total, the seat fee or the fare?

The total
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread