Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

14-15 days itinerary and JR Pass advice 2012/10/12 20:58
Hi everyone!

I've been reading this forum and thanks to the questions posted here I've almost decided what I want to visit in my 14-15 days in Japan.

It will be my first time in Japan and my travel period will probably be August 2013, although I'm still trying to convince my boss to give me some holidays on April so I can be there during the cherry blossom.

I would like to stay 6-7 days in Tokyo and then travel to Kyoto and dedicate 3/4 days to Kyoto, 1 day to Nara, 1/2 day/s to Hiroshima and Miyajima (with a night here, if I can afford it!).

What do you think? Too much time in Kyoto?

As for Tokyo, I've seen the three most popular day trips are Nikko, Kamakura and Hakone. Which one do you suggest to me?

I think Hakone is the one that suits me more because
1) I think I'm gonna see enought temples and shrines in Kyoto!
2) I love NATURE! So if you want to suggest me another day trip that involves nature here I am.

JR pass question: I would like to activate a7 days pass for the second week (starting from the Shinkansen to Kyoto). Is that a good idea?

I'm sorry If I made some confusion in my post, but I'd like to set up a nice itinerary and I don't want to lose anything good!
by Serena (guest)  

Re: 14-15 days itinerary and JR Pass advice 2012/10/13 07:34
Hi Serena!

The allocation of days seems reasonable to me. You should also visit Osaka from Kyoto one day. If you can't afford to stay at Miyajima, catch the last ferry back to Hiroshima and stay there. The torii at night is beautiful.

As for daytrips from Tokyo, I'd probably go to Hakone and Kamakura. Though you would have seen a lot of temples in Kyoto, Kamakura has the Daibutsu, hiking trails, and a different feel to it. You can visit Yokohama while you're down that way too, perhaps on your way back to Tokyo.

Besides the hiking trails I just mentioned, you'd enjoy the nature at Arashiyama, on the outskirts of Kyoto. There's monkeys, a brilliant view and a bamboo grove.

Though I don't know the specific layout of your trip, the 7 day pass would be perfect if it covers Tokyo-Kyoto, Kyoto-Hiroshima/Miyajima, Hiroshima-Kyoto, Kyoto-Tokyo (you flying out of Narita? Even departing from kansai should justify the cost).
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: 14-15 days itinerary and JR Pass advice 2012/10/13 10:13
I just came back from a trip to Japan where I spent 3 days in Kyoto, 1 day in Nara (day trip from Kyoto) and 1 day in Hiroshima/Miyajima (peace memorial and itskushima shrine). The last ferry from Miyajima runs pretty late, so it's not completely necessary to stay there if you want to enjoy the torii gate at night (I saw it from late afternoon until 9:30pm). I stayed at the Granvia hotel next to Hiroshima station and found it to be very nice and convenient for the price ($130/night).

It's true you may be exhausted from all the temples/shrines in Kyoto, but Kamakura and Nikko offer something a bit different. Nikko's structures are more elaborately designed with intricate detail and colors compared to the majority of sights you will see in Kyoto. It's also nicely nested in a wooded area, so it really feels like you're in nature. There's also a very famous waterfall near there which can be reached by bus. I skipped Kamakura during a past trip, but decided to head there this time... I'm glad I finally made it as the daibutsu hiking trail was memorable. If you go, don't forget to try the purple sweet potato ice cream! It's all over the place for some reason and it's so good!

Have fun.
by Smithers rate this post as useful

Re: 14-15 days itinerary and JR Pass advice 2012/10/13 12:54
Hi Serena,

Like you, I also like nature. When I was in Tokyo, I visited Takaosan. For more information, look under 'View more sights in Outlying Areas of Tokyo'. If you happen to go, I hope that you will like it as much as I did.
by linda (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 14-15 days itinerary and JR Pass advice 2012/10/15 15:56
Thanks for the replies!

I'll take a look at Takaosan to see if it can be a good idea to go there, thanks.

Regarding the JR Pass, I can activate it when I leave Tokyo for Kyoto. In Tokyo I can use a Suica card, but the daily trips to Hakone and Kamakura won't be included so I'm gonna look for a budget way to get there !
by Serena (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 14-15 days itinerary and JR Pass advice 2012/10/16 05:42
the kamakura day-pass is not expensive at all and makes it very easy to travel from tokyo to kamakura. all trains are covered in karamkura for the day. I would do for sure!
by Daz88 rate this post as useful

Re: 14-15 days itinerary and JR Pass advice 2012/10/16 08:00
Have a look at the Hakone pass. It may suit your plan perfectly. http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2358_008.html

Takaosan is lovely, but I didn't suggest it because with 6 or 7 days in Tokyo and daytrips planned on at least 2 days (which take you to places with beautiful nature), I thought you'd probably need the other days for localised tourism in Tokyo itself. Up to you of course, but for me it was a 3rd visit thing to do.

Personally, I wouldn't purchase a Kamakura pass. The round trip one from Shinjuku is \1480, but takes longer on the Enoden rail. For only \860 each way (also from Shinjuku) you'll ride the JR trains and get there in just over an hour. It's covered by SUICA too, just preload your card. If you're going to go back and forth on the rail lines down there or want the scenic, slower route from Tokyo, then get a pass.
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread