Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo Skytree 2012/11/6 13:36
Hi!

May I know when is the best time of the day to visit Tokyo Skytree in November? I had planned to start queuing around 9am, but read from somewhere that the view might be better in the evening/dusk.

Thank you.
by me (guest)  

Re: Tokyo Skytree 2012/11/6 14:21
Although it's true, dusk views are very nice, you will be jostled about by other tourists wanting the same view, and that's after you have waited a few hours for the privilege. Your 9am first idea was better, even if the views may possibly not be so grand as the later, but at least you will likely not wait so long for it.
by Grace (guest) rate this post as useful

: Tokyo Skytree 2012/11/6 18:26
I live in Tokyo. But, I will not go to sky tree in next 2 years. Because, It is too crowd.
I am afraid that you will waste your precious time. How about going to Tokyo Tower Or Tokyo city hall(located in Shinjuku.) You do not have to pay any fee to climb up to top floor.
It is not crowd. So, you can go there at night.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo_Metropolitan_Government_Building
by anpan2 rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo Skytree 2012/11/6 22:55
Thank you for the replies, Grace and anpan2I

anpan2, I already have plans to visit Tokyo tower and TMG, just that since I would be in Tokyo, might as well see the massive Skytree too! Thank you again for your suggestions, I will think of a way out.
by me (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo Skytree 2012/11/6 23:20
Last week I went to Tokyo Skytree Town in the evening on a weekday: I smoothly purchased my tickets for the two observatories of the tower, waiting for less than one minute for each.
In contrast, later on the last Sunday, coupons were handed out for holders to come again during the designated time slit of 30 minutes on the same day; a coupon showing a time slit does not guarantee admission.

I had planned to start queuing around 9am

The normal business hours of Tokyo Skytree are from 8:00 to 22:00.

If you can allot only one specific day to visit Tokyo Skytree, I suppose queuing early in the morning can be a good choice.
In a weekend / on a holiday, queuing from around 9 am might be late.

If you can try your luck twice, it sounds nice to set the first trial on a weekday.
In the morning (around 10 am, for example) you will check the crowdedness. If coupons are being handed out, you will get one and come again during the designated time slit. If not, you will come again in the afternoon (around 4 pm, for example) and try to get admitted in the evening. If that fails, you will try your lack again on a later day.

Note that tickets for the upper observatory TEMBO GALLERIA are available only in the lower observatory TEMBO DECK; you can get one only when you get admitted to the lower.

By the way, have you cheeked the website? I must admit the official information on the website is not enough (especially in foreign languages), but you can confirm some basic things.
- http://www.tokyo-skytree.jp/en/

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Correction: typo 2012/11/6 23:24
Of course "lack" should have been spelled "luck."
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo Skytree 2012/11/7 05:49
The best time to go, IMO, is at 8am sharp. You'll be able to get tickets without queueing up. If you're lucky, you will see Mt. Fuji, too.
by Tokyonet (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo Skytree 2012/11/7 13:56
Hey omotenashi, out of interest, what day of the week and what time in the evening did you go? And was it crowded when you got to the top or did more people arrive after you did?
by Obak3 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo Skytree 2012/11/7 15:18
Well, it depends on what you want to see!!
If you go around dusk - you'll get to possibly see a great sunset and then awesome view of Tokyo lit up at night. Depending on how clear it is you maybe get some nice silhouettes of western mountains at sunset.

If you go early on a clear cold morning, you have the best and furthest views, before things get hazy and more polluted. There will be snow capped mountains including Fuji san. Views are always clearest in the winter time so it's a good time to try the Sky Tree, view distances will be shorter in Summer time. If you have flexibility, I would check the weather when you get up and if it is a nice day, head straight to the tower for early morning viewing. Obviously, on a weekday it won't be so busy as a weekend/holiday.
by Lady Kodaira rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo Skytree 2012/11/7 17:38
hello all, do you think it is better to book visit??? or go there on early morning and wait for the line???i am going to tokyo for 2 week from 22 december.
by robocoder rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo Skytree 2012/11/7 17:54
From what i read on their offical website :

Purchase (reserve) via "TOKYO SKYTREE Web Ticket (The link will be in Japanese only)" or at "TOBU Travel store fronts.

Other wise you have to queue on visiting days.

p/s : To other expert, pls correct me if im wrong.

Rgds
by MKFO rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo Skytree 2012/11/7 22:11
Booking in advance is more expensive.
And many November dates and a lot of the good times are booked already. They still hold tickets back for for day purchase though they only let people up depending on numbers up there.
by Lady Kodaira rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo Skytree 2013/1/12 18:22
I tried going to the skytree today. It's freaking horrible getting in. The skytree is not getting my \2000 for sure, unless they can make the wait a little bit more humane.

When you get there at the train station, go up four escalators to 4F (you'd expect 3 escalators, so I was in the wrong place even before getting in) and then walk around the whole complex (still on 4F) to be surprized by a line at a counter that gives out some kind of pre-ticket that gives you "permission" to wait 3.5 hours to get your real ticket, to get into the tower.

Another option is booking online. You'd expect it to be cheaper, but it actually more expensive, and it won't even get you to the 450m deck. Plus, this only works with Japanese credit cards. Therefor, utterly useless!

One more option is to book a guided or unguided tour that includes other useless stuff as well, costing \3800, and seems to be avaialble no less than 3 days in advance. Also doesn't get you up to the 450m deck, only to 350m.

Another option is to book the restaurant. You have to book no less than 31 days in advance. Useless for almost every tourist, if you ask me.

So, concluding, getting into the tower is either a freaking nightmare, or practically impossible. Or you must be rediculously lucky.
by thany rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo Skytree 2013/1/13 11:21
Another option is to book the restaurant. You have to book no less than 31 days in advance.

No, online reservations can be made from 31 days in advance, but they still seem so popular that they book out almost immediately. Alternatively, you can phone.

The Skytree remains extremely popular eight months after its opening. For an enjoyable visit, prepare in advance and go with the right expectations. Waiting times for accessing the tower can be minimal on regular weekdays, especially in the morning and evenings. When there are waiting times, they do not need to be spent in a queue. The well organized time slot system allows visitors to explore the Solamachi complex (or something else) during the waiting time.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo Skytree 2013/1/13 12:42
I planned for my visit to Sky Tree in Nov, as early as 8.30a.m (I touched down at 6am. ):-) there was already a moving queue at the ticketing counter, but it took me less than 15mins to reach the first viewing gallery. While it took some time waiting for elevators, it was still a pleasant experience overall. There were lots of people when I left the building.
by waisky (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread