Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

New Years Eve&Day question 2012/11/12 11:27
For a foreigner travelling alone, what is there to do?

Apart from the shrine, countdown, hatsumode and the kohaku uta gassen show that we love "so0o0o much" haha pardon the sarcasm :p

any clubs or bars open for new years eve event in Osaka? And new years day, what should he do? Anything open during the day and the following Jan2&3?

This is just for a friend who will be unfortunately spending Dec 31 and Jan 1 alone and wanted some suggestion. Me and the J-wifey have to go back to Hokkaido to be with her family and I already asked him to come but he said he'd stay in Osaka and ride it out.

thanks

MeerKatz
by MeerKatz (guest)  

Re: New Years Eve&Day question 2012/11/12 16:55
I don't live near Osaka so I don't know how helpful my answer will be, but I know that at least in Tokyo in Roppongi there are several clubs open for New Years parties on New Years Eve/into the day. I would think Osaka also has something like that, for example if there is a club or bar foreigners generally hang out at it might have a higher chance of being open.

Also, I just checked the schedule for Universal Studios Osaka... they don't have 2013's schedule up yet, but it looks like they are open from 9AM-5PM December 31st... so he may have some luck checking park hours for the 2nd or 3rd if he'd like to see a theme park.

Beyond that it might depend on what kind of things your friend enjoys... for example, if he doesn't mind temples and shrines most of them will be open New Years Day and after, and if he doesn't want the hatsumode crowds, temples especially are almost deserted I've noticed, so it might be a good chance. Does he like hiking-type stuff? Many trails never close even for winter, so if he likes walking around or hiking, there are some places around Osaka or a little ways out.

Anyway, I stay with a Japanese family for New Years too, so my answer isn't very helpful, sorry ^^; Good luck finding some stuff for your friend!
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: New Years Eve&Day question 2012/11/13 12:41
thanks for your reply scarreddragon.

No he isn't into the hiking stuff and doesn't like to go to shrines and touristy spots by himself haha. He's into clubbing and bars and all that young single male stuff hehe.

Oh well i'm sure we'll figure something out for him. It's only a couple of days without us, I'm sure he'll survive the New years exodus hehe
by MeerKatz (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread