Is it safe to visit Okinawa?

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is it safe to visit Okinawa? 2012/11/20 11:56
Hi - I have visited Japan many times and I know it is very safe. However, my wife and I are a mixed Asian and Caucasian couple. We are Americans and we are concerned that we may experience some negative interactions on Okinawa, because of stereotypes associated with the military bases/personnel. No offense intented, we are just wondering how we will be perceived and if we can have a fun trip on the island and do the normal tourist stuff.
by Onepath (guest)  

Re: Is it safe to visit Okinawa? 2012/11/20 14:35
I had no problems a few years ago. Be kind and respectful and you should be fine. Tensions are a bit higher around the military bases themselves (and no wonder, really), but there is no reason to go around those unless you are military personnel, so that shouldn't be a problem.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Is it safe to visit Okinawa? 2012/12/9 14:04
We spent 12 days there last month. We are Australian and the locals thought we were from the US. We loved Okinawa and the locals are very friendly and helpful. I did notice a slight difference at the American village but in saying that there was no rudeness at anytime. We stayed 2 nights at the Vessel hotel at the American village and they were just lovely to us.
by Spookywalnut rate this post as useful

Re: Is it safe to visit Okinawa? 2012/12/10 12:16
Thank you so much for the responses!
by Onepath (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread

Anything we can improve?  Let us know
We strive to keep Japan Guide up-to-date and accurate, and we're always looking for ways to improve. If you have any updates, suggestions, corrections or opinions, please let us know:
Thank you for your feedback.