Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Beppu - mud baths, sand baths and hells 2013/1/18 14:41
I will have less than 24 hours in Beppu and so would like to book these things in advance - is that possible?
Am arriving at my hotel around 7/7.30pm in the evening so would like to have a mud or sand bath that night. Then the next day would like to do the Beppu hells tour (to see all of them - I see that it takes around 2 and a half hours) and also have the sand or mud bath that I didn't have the night before. I need to be leaving by late afternoon to get the train to Kyoto.
Does anyone know how I can book these things in advance of my arrival?
Many thanks
by juliefakename (guest)  

Re: Beppu - mud baths, sand baths and hells 2013/1/18 22:32

Those places you want to visit , virtually just pay and walk in.
I doubt if there is such a thing as "reservation" for them.
by liem (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Beppu - mud baths, sand baths and hells 2013/1/19 00:08
There will be a morning and an afternoon tour of the "Hells", but one of the nine hells went independant, and is not on the tour. When I went, the tour bus was only half full, and I can tell you that the tour went on, even when it started to rain. The hells tour met at the train station, and I paid for it at the attractions des. I went in the afternoon, and there was also a stop at a bathhouse, but I wanted to just get back to my hotel, and didn't go.

My hotel had a floor with mens and womens hot spring baths, massage chairs, a 100 yen store, a a gaming arcade area. I was satisfied with what the hotel had, and didn't bother to go to a mud or sand bath. I was a little bothered that some of the fathers brought their daughters into the men's bath with them. I was not expecting this.

I went in late March, which means that families with children were vacationing. Japanese schools end in March, and start back up in early April. My guess is that if the tours are only half full, then the mud and sand baths are also half full, and this is between school sessons. You should be OK.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: Beppu - mud baths, sand baths and hells 2013/1/19 10:21

You probably could do mud bath upon your arrival at Hoyo land. They close 22:00 ( Monday 20:00) . Alternatively do this the next day after the hells visit.

Do sand bath last @ Beppu Beach Sand Bath , which is just one station from Beppu station.

I did all those in a day visit: took a bus from station to hells, and bus again to Hoyo land ( you may need taxi for this trip) .Last, bus to the station, and train for Beppu Beach Sand Bath which is only 1 stop, few minutes from Beppu station.
by liem (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Beppu - mud baths, sand baths and hells 2013/1/19 13:36
You should be easily able to see all the hells in a few hours - in fact, 3 are next door neighbors and you can see almost half of them within 30 minutes.
If you can squeeze it in, try and see the Takasakiyama Monkey Park also - it is very cheap and quite an experience.
It's too bad you don't have more time. There is a lot more in Beppu. At any rate, if you want a good preview of the hells, see

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2NNi8MLcXM

and if you want to see the official guide to what you can do, take a look at
http://www.city.beppu.oita.jp/02kankou/english/01info/02shisetsu/index...

by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread