Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Travel and Flight 2013/1/27 13:20
Hi everybody !!!
You know I will travel to Japan and I am nervous because will be my first time in a intercontinental flight. I wanna know how is the flight between America (USA) and Tokyo: How many hours? turbulences? best airline? tips to waist time in flight .....

Thanks and goodbye.
by VaanStev  

Re: Travel and Flight 2013/1/27 18:15
The duration of a flight between the US and Tokyo depends highly on from where you are departing. New York to Tokyo takes longer than California - Tokyo. As for best airline, I would recommend a Japanese airline and not one of the US airlines although with codeshares it might sometimes be difficult to know which airline you are actually flying with when you book the ticket. There is a world of difference in the service.
As for wasting/killing time, most airlines provide films to watch and with the better airlines you have a choice of plenty of films, games and TV programs that you can watch/pause/rewind/forward/etc at your own leisure. Personally I rely very much on my Kindle and a set of new ebooks. :-)
by Jim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Travel and Flight 2013/1/27 22:44
The flight between Chicago and Tokyo is 13 hours and the return 11:30. I always fly JAL as that and ANA are much better than the US carriers which operate that route.

The flight to Japan is a day flight, leaving at 11am and arriving at 2pm local time. the return is a night flight, leaving at 11am and arriving at 9am the same day.

JAL has movies on demand and a pretty good entertainment system. They mount 2 cameras, front-facing and down-facing, so you can see where you're going even if you're sitting in the middle portion of the aircraft. The service is very good and you get at least 2 meals each way.

When it comes to turbulence, it depends on the flight, if there are storms etc, but the aircraft will change altitude to avoid it. There usually isn't any turbulence and I don't remember any instance where it was very noticeable.

If you've flown before, it's much the same, for the exception of the duration. Just plan ahead and enjoy the anticipation of arrival in Japan!
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

reply to this thread