Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Mmm... Be careful of molesters on trains? 2013/1/28 14:49
When I was in Sapporo recently, I saw there were many notices of a particular kind pasted in train stations, on trains & at bus stops. They were all saying the same thing - Chikan ha hanzai desu. (It is a criminial offence to molest women). I laughed when I first saw one because I had never seen one in the country I am borne in. There are 2 components to my question. First, isn't it common sense that molestation is a crime? To a tourist, it seems there are a lot of molestors in Japan...

To add on to that, why do so many Japanese women like to wear short skirts if there are so many erm, molestors around? It was minus 0 in Sapporo & I saw not a few Japanese women wearing short skirts. Aren't they inviting trouble??? No offence, I am just a curious Japan fan.
by janet (guest)  

Re: Mmm... Be careful of molesters on trains? 2013/1/28 15:12
First, isn't it common sense that molestation is a crime?

Yes, but these types of signs are meant as a deterrent more than anything. They alert potential molesters that people are watching, which will hopefully make them rethink committing the crime in the first place.

To a tourist, it seems there are a lot of molestors in Japan...

Yes these crimes do happen, but think of the signs like a "shoplifters will be procecuted" or "$100 fine for littering" signs. They don't necessarily mean everyone around them are shoplifting and littering.

To add on to that, why do so many Japanese women like to wear short skirts if there are so many erm, molestors around?

Fashion. And there really aren't that many molesters around that is has the power to make women not want to be fashionable.

It was minus 0 in Sapporo & I saw not a few Japanese women wearing short skirts.

Same can be said about the weather. Nothing stands in the way of fashion ;)

Aren't they inviting trouble???

Good luck with that argument.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

... 2013/1/28 15:15
I laughed when I first saw one because I had never seen one in the country I am borne in.

Which country were you born in?

First, isn't it common sense that molestation is a crime?

Sure, but reinforcing something can be sensible especially when people travel on public transport which can be jampacked and make it seem more "coincidental".

Just like "Shoplifters will be prosecuted", "Fine for littering is $x"

To a tourist, it seems there are a lot of molestors in Japan...

Because you were molested often or because you saw a few signs about it?

To add on to that, why do so many Japanese women like to wear short skirts if there are so many erm, molestors around?

Why shouldn't they?

Why do you carry a wallet with money in it if there are pickpockets?

Why do you own a car when car theft is high?

Why do you walk around the USA without a bullet-proof vest when gun-related violence is so high?

It was minus 0 in Sapporo & I saw not a few Japanese women wearing short skirts.

Nobody ever accused fashion of being sensible.

Also, it probably wasn't minus 0 wherever they ended up going for the evening.

Aren't they inviting trouble???

No, just like women who dress in appealing clothing when going out to nightclubs aren't inviting rape.

by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: Mmm... Be careful of molesters on trains? 2013/1/28 15:26
May I just add to the other poster.

Of course it is common sense that it is a crime, but many non-victims seem to take it lightly than it actually is. Molesting may affect the victim quite seriously causing PTSD etc., so the sign is a sort of a reminder suggesting that it is indeed a crime and not a prank.

Short skirts has very little to do with the potential of becoming a victim of train molesters. A great number of victims are very modest-looking girls wearing modest-sized clothing. Molesters even tend to avoid flashy-looking women. Perhaps they know the ones who find it difficult to speak up. And I don't mean that these victims are weak. You may be surprized at how you find your self freezing when you become a victim of anything.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Mmm... Be careful of molesters on trains? 2013/1/28 15:37
Those are some great additions, Uco. I agree completely.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread