Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 13 of 20: Posts 241 - 260 of 395
prev
1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 20
next

yippee!! we are going ahead 2011/4/7 08:14
Are you still planning on going: of course!
Original travel dates: 21Apr till 1May
Have you had to reschedule & to when: nope
What areas: Tokyo, Hakone, Kyoto & Nara
Concerns you have/had: aftershocks, radiation, water shortage, becoming a burden to the people of Tokyo and being insensitive for holidaying during this unfortunate period
Benefits of still going: Haven't had a family holiday for a long time. Make good a promise to our daughter long ago. And of course, enjoying the cool culture of Japan
Other key decision factors: none
If you're undecided, when will you decide: n/a
Where will you be updating us of your time, if at all: if we have a chance to
by SL Ong (guest) rate this post as useful

Yesss!!! 2011/4/7 12:48
Are you still planning on going: Yesss!!!

Original travel dates: 10~16 Apr

Have you had to reschedule & to when: No

What areas: Southern Hokkaido & Shimizu

Concerns you have/had: Nothing

Benefits of still going: First time to experience Hokkaido, as well as visiting family's friends. Also, I've planned this trip for 5 months! So excited to go! :)

Other key decision factors: Mom's concerned about radiation contamination in food and water because all her friends warned her not to go.

If you're undecided, when will you decide: N/A
by Ume (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2011/4/7 13:09
by lol (guest) rate this post as useful

Thank you (FCO) finally ... 2011/4/7 15:18
Thanks for that link - just checked it out and (finally) the advice of the FCO is changed:

'This advice has been updated. We are no longer advising against non-essential travel to Tokyo. We continue to advise against all but essential travel to those areas north east of Tokyo most directly affected by the earthquake and the tsunami. We urge British nationals in Tokyo and the areas to the north east of Tokyo to follow the precautionary measures in connection with the situation at the Fukushima nuclear plant.'

Which means that we can travel (17th arriving 25th for one week). The possible lack of insurance was the only thing holding us back.

We can now start packing in earnest, print out addresses and maps and all the stuff we need.

Thanks to those who have posted and blogged and helped us get perspectives on what is happening in Tokyo currently. Pictures really help momel. Thank you.

Chris

by Chris and family (guest) rate this post as useful

Chris and family 2011/4/7 15:47
It sounds like you decided the trip.I was born in Tokyo, I live in Tokyo. Tokyo is safe, and nearly restored.

In Tokyo, to conserve power because they may be a little dark lighting of the town.Once or twice a day there are small earthquakes.But no problem.

Pls. enjoy your Tokyo.

UPDATE FROM TOKYO 2011/4/7 18:55
Hi from Tokyo again!!
I've been updating in both of the big threads about Japan and trips!

Today we went to Mitaka to Ghibli museum. Even on a weekday the place was packed! We went to the 2pm time and there was still a full house as you could say! We missed the time for the zoo just around the corner back the other way. They close at 16:00. Oh well! We took a nice walk around the park right next to Ghibli and wandered around the neighborhoods. Seemed fancy with a lot of Lexus cars in the drive way :)
*heart*

Come come to Tokyo :)
by Momel rate this post as useful

unsure still 2011/4/7 19:43
We're due to arrive in tokyo on 3rd May but are still unsure. The travel advisories mention only two issues about Tokyo:
- disruption to transport
- power cuts

From what I've read, trains seems to be pretty much back to normal and the power cuts have stopped. So why do they still have the "do not travel" advisories in place?
by 4040 (guest) rate this post as useful

Rethinking part of my trip 2011/4/7 21:22
Are you still planning on going:
Definitely.

Original travel dates:
20/04/2011 - 5/05/2011

Have you had to reschedule & to when: N/A

What areas:
Tokyo, Osaka, Nara, Kyoto, Kanazawa, Hirosaki

Concerns you have/had:
Hirosaki may be affected. Not sure whether I should reschedule that part of my trip or not.

Benefits of still going:
Don't have two wasted weeks of leave from work, getting to see the cherry blossoms (provided I can still go to Hirosaki), a few others.

Other key decision factors:
The risk isn't that great.

If you're undecided, when will you decide:
Will decide on Hirosaki in the next two weeks.

I'm wondering if I should re-plan the trip to Hirosaki. I was planning on taking an overnight train up the western coast to get there and that should still be ok, but I'd hate to be a burden or insensitive to anyone in the region. Anyone have any thoughts?
by Dan (guest) rate this post as useful

Had a shake 2011/4/8 00:31
We felt a bit of a shake near midnight, due to the 7.4 that hit off the coast of Sendai. Poor Sendai! A few people were awake already. It only lasted 30sec - 1min. I wasn't too worried because the shakes weren't too hard, but it was extremely disturbing to the other people? So be aware you could feel some shakes.

Thankyou 2011/4/8 01:00
Momel - Appreciate the update. I arrived in Osaka tomorrow and then Tokyo after 7 days. I am still going. Hopefully this last shake will settle things down perhaps. let's hope
by RR (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2011/4/8 01:17
Not a violent shake here in Tokyo, but it did last quite a while. Quite the welcome for me - just arrived here from the South this afternoon. Tsunami warning has been lifted, the nuclear plants seem to be unaffected and no reports of heavy damage or injuries up North. Biggest concern at the moment seems to be getting the power back on up there.
by Deeg67 (guest) rate this post as useful

o yes 2011/4/8 04:15
Are you still planning on going:Yes
Original travel dates: April 12th
Have you had to reschedule & to when: Yes. to May 3rd
What areas: Yamaguchi
Concerns you have/had: Radiation, Power cuts, Availability of clean food, water.Going alone so parents, hubby and kids are worried.
Benefits of still going: Going for a Postdoc Position for two years, will get excellent research experience.
Other key decision factors: Feels horrible to back out just when Japan is having a hard time.
If you're undecided, when will you decide:N/A
Where will you be updating us of your time, if at all:
by linda (guest) rate this post as useful

Yup 2011/4/8 09:20
Yah the shake only supposedly lasted less than a minute here in Tokyo. They said there wasn't more damage to the nuclear plant. The Tsunami warning was lifted 80mins after it was issued, which is great news. The magnitude reported keeps changing. I keep seeing 6- or 7.4.

I wasn't too disturbed by the shaking, but I know some other people were very very disturbed by it. Just a warning to people who might be disturbed by it. The earthquake wasn't here but off the coast of Sendai again.

hmm... 2011/4/8 10:14
..the large aftershock kind of shaken my confidence a lil' bit about going ahead (no pun intended)...
by SL Ong (guest) rate this post as useful

Magnitude vs intensity 2011/4/8 10:32
Momel wrote:

The magnitude reported keeps changing. I keep seeing 6- or 7.4.

You are probably confusing magnitude with intensity.
The earthquake last night off the coast of Miyagi Prefecture was magnitude 7.something. In Sendai, the intensity was reportedly 6+ on the Japanese "shindo" scale, and in Tokyo and Saitama it was shindo 4.
You'll find that Japanese new reports generally use the shindo intensity scale, as it is a more relevant indicator of the strength of the tremors people are actually experiencing at different locations rather than what is happening deep down in the bowels of the earth.
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2011/4/8 14:18
TEPCO announced that the future of rolling blackouts do not implement the rule. The prospect of non-implementation period for now until early June. The government announced yesterday that "power supply protection" measures to curb demand by companies and individuals, the principle does not aim to continue implementing rolling blackouts in summer electricity demand increases.

Were affected by thermal and nuclear power plants each with East earthquake, TEPCO conducted March 14 from rolling blackouts. The penetration of corporate and personal saving cooperation, improved supply-demand balance was expected to exceed the supply capacity that can ensure maximum power from June 3 through April 9. However, the possibility of implementing rolling blackouts Hazama Kono sudden weather changes such as, "In nothing is not" (Vice President Huzimoto Taka) has said

Ah 2011/4/8 17:32
Ah that is it probably. I've seen on the news its 7.4, so intensity must be those other numbers. So windy today! We went out shopping a bit and found an awesome stationary store and saw Shakey's pizza advertising marshmallow pizza.. ;p heh. Tomorrow hopefully sunshine city.

in Japan at the moment 2011/4/8 20:46
I arrived on 29/3 and still travelling. Started in Kyushu; Beppu, Kumamoto, Fukuoka, then Osaka, Kyoto and now in Takayama. Not many foreign and japanese turists.Also Japanese people I talked to are really worried that lack of turism will only make things worse. In Takayama where there is festival on 14/4 I am one of two guests in hostel where normally would be around 60 people in. Worried owner told me that he had around 200 cancelletions for april. Everywhere I have been assured it is OK to travel. Some hostels in Kyoto are empty even though it is high season - cherry blossom. You will not see crowds in most popular spots. Although I do not plan to go to Tokyo I have met people who live there or traveled there few days ago, everyone was saying it is fine.
And one last thing; I also have had dillema to go or not but after seeing cherry blossom in Kyoto I must say it was worth making that decision and come.
by poncho (guest) rate this post as useful

Are you still going? 2011/4/8 23:51
Are you still planning on going: Yes

Original travel dates: 14/05/2011 - 29/05/2011

Have you had to reschedule & to when: No

What areas: Tokyo, Osaka, Hiroshima

Concerns you have/had: None, just that Hyperdia does not reflect the adjusted schedules so I can't "microplan" now

Benefits of still going: The best way how to help Japan is to go there and spend money there.

Other key decision factors: We planned to go there this May and go we will

If you're undecided, when will you decide: N/A

Where will you be updating us of your time, if at all: during the trip.

by Jaroslav (guest) rate this post as useful

In Japan 2011/4/9 06:02
We arrived in Osaka Japan yesterday! Had a great dinner, people going about their business but will drop everything to help you with directions...Today we're off to Hiroshima, tomorrow Tokyo, then Kyoto, then Kobe, then back to Osaka. I'll try to post our blog later :)
by checky (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 13 of 20: Posts 241 - 260 of 395
prev
1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 20
next

reply to this thread