Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 171 of 233: Posts 3401 - 3420 of 4655
prev
1 ... 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 ... 233
next

bus schedule fro Kishine 2012/11/27 03:57
Walkingfool
T0 answer your original question.
There was bus service between Kishine, running to various bases in the Kanto area, including the Navy Exchange Yokohama, Atsugi, Camp Zama ect.
The buses ran on a regular schedule. They were
"school buses" but painted the military olive drab.[green] I would assume that they made a stop at Yokohama Station or Sakaragacho, but as i never personally rode the buses I couldn't rightly say, but it is a fair assumption.
As I indicated, I would be willing to fill in any details of military life in that area that might be outstanding.
Hope this helps.
by Peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2012/11/28 03:19
Thank you, Peter. That was very helpful. Let me know if you ever make it to NZ and I will give you a personalized tour of Christchurch.
by Walkingfool rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2012/11/28 03:40
Thanks..your on!
I don't suspect that it will be anytime soon.
Im sure you'll be easy to find..there can't be too many Walkingfools in the phone book.
I presume your a gentleman, because if its otherwise, i'm not sure my wife would quite approve.
Need a trip on one of those dreamliners..
Be sure to let us know where we can read the story.

Desertions in Japan & Sandy & Thanksgiving 2012/11/28 06:05
Barbara-san - Glad you enjoyed the Sandy pictures. You can get local images anywhere by goggling the name of the place & Sandy and selecting images. The Jersey shore and many other places will never be the same.
Thanksgiving was great this year. Young stepson & wife cooked and had us over. Life is good when the younger generation starts hosting the holiday meals.
Walkingfool - Welcome to our discussion of all things Yokohama and whatever else grabs our interest. The Vietnam War was the most derisive period in US history during my lifetime followed closely by the civil rights movement. I was a twenty-year US Marine during much of the time and got a chance to observe both in many different places. I did three Vietnam tours and probably share Wally's feelings to some extent but I'm also interested in the research you are doing. I'm looking forward to reading your book.
I never got too wrapped up in worrying about the anti-war movement. I saw it mainly as a bunch of spoiled kids being worried about being drafted and sent to Vietnam and a bunch of politicians and do-gooders egging them on. We did suffer a lot more casualties because of the anti-war movement but that is the price we pay for freedom. Some good people die to protect the right of others to act like fools. I had a liberal aunt in Arizona who was a big peace activist. It was always fun visiting when I was passing through Tucson.
I don't think desertion was as big a problem in the Marine Corps as it was in the Army and Navy. People who were going to desert didn't join the Marine Corps and if they did we usually screened them out during initial training.
I got to meet a few soldiers from New Zealand toward the end of my second Vietnam tour when I was attached to a US Army command for a couple of months. Your soldiers were a great credit to your country. Professional , motivated and competent.
by Dave-san (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2012/11/29 03:11
I was never aware of a bus from Yokohama Station to the Navy Exchange. If I had been aware of it I would surely have ridden it, rather than spending money on taxis and/or the trolley that ran down the middle of the street!
by wata geiru rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2012/11/29 08:31
In my 3 1/2 years in Japan i must have gone through Yokohama Station dozens of times. I remember a complex of multi layered shops beneath it, where I bought my Seiko watch. I never saw a military bus there either, but with the trolly running every few minutes, why wait. The ride was 10 yen, cheap enough and who cared if it ran through the middle of the street, it was a wealth of local culture.
Question, where does the handle Weta Geiru come from ?

Yokohama Navy Exchange Bus 2012/11/29 08:51
During 1953 - 1954 when I lived in Yokohama as an Army dependant, the Yokohama Navy Exchange was the Yokohama Army PX. Army buses ran from in front f the PX to all of the Army facilities in the area. These Army buses and the Japanese streetcars and trains were my main means of transportation in and around Yokohama as a dependant too young to drive.
When I returned to Yokohama as a Marine stationed at NAS Atsugi in late 1964 the Yokohama Army PX had become the Yokohama Navy Exchange. I visited the Yokohama Exchange one time to see if the buses still ran and found out they didn't. If the Navy had bus routes in Yokohama in 1964 - 1965, I didn't know about them. When I traveled to Yokohama I took the train from Yamato to Yokohama and then took taxis from the train station to places around Yokohama. I left Atsugi mid 1965.

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2012/11/29 09:17
Yokohama Taxis
I must havetaken a thousand of them, never drove, vlaued my life too much..there is a book here..any writers around ?
by peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Taxis 2012/11/29 11:11
In the 1950s, there were three varieties of taxis working in front of the PX. They included tiny rear engine Renault sedans with fares starting at 60 yen. A little larger Datsun sedan's fare began at 70 yen. A larger and more comfortable Toyota's fare began at 80 yen.
In my pre-teen travels around Yokohama, I found the streetcar quite reliable and vastly cheaper. A round trip ticket cost 25 yen, less than a dime in US money. And in a collision with a cab, it was the streetcar that came out a winner.
by Eric (guest) rate this post as useful

80 Yen Taxis 2012/11/29 14:07
I remember the taxis with the sticker in back with 60 or 80 yen. What most Americans didn't understand was that this was the price for the first zone only. The cost went up if you went further. I remember the loud excited arguments ignorant Americans would get into with taxi drivers over an extra twenty or thirty yen at their destination when the charge was more than the sticker, usually about ten of fifteen cents. These were the same people who were clueless when they really were getting ripped off somewhere else.
Yokohama taxis, like taxis everywhere, were an adventure to be enjoyed with your eyes closed. The Japanese taxis were a bargain then and relatively safe in spite of us calling them kamikaze taxis. The one time I've been involved in a taxi wreck was in Thailand when a drunk US Air Force guy from Udorn crashed into my taxi while it was stopped at an intersection. Taxis are only unsafe when they slow down or stop or when you open your eyes.

Taxis in the P. I. 2012/11/29 22:53
My folks and I visited the Philippine Islands back in 1959 or 60 and were in a cab near the airport. As we came to a stop in traffic, another cabby crashed into the back of our cab.
Our driver stepped out, produced a .45 auto pistol and fired four or five rounds at the offending driver.
The other driver pulled his pistol and let go with three or four shots in our direction, while my dad forced mom and I down on the floor of our cab.
The insult resolved, both drivers got back in their cabs and continued on. Neither of the cabs were hit in the exchange of gunfire.
by Eric (guest) rate this post as useful

Military Bus Schedule 2012/11/29 23:23
So much to say, so little time! First of all, Peter is right, there was military bus service connecting all the U.S. military bases in the Kanto Plains area, and they were school buses painted military colors, some were Army OD, some were Navy gray and some were Air Force blue. There were at least two buses every day of the week making the rounds, one bus went clockwise and the other counterclockwise. I know this for a fact, because I used to take the bus to Atsugi and back to Kishine about once a month to pick up my eight bottle booze ration. I also went to Camp Zama a couple of times. It was a slow means of transportation, because you hit every base and housing area, but you knew you would eventually get to your destination. I think I have a copy of the bus schedule 1967-68 somewhere in my mementos, but it would be an all-day job to find it.

Taxis. I would take taxi rides right after payday, when I was rich. They all had plastic covers on the rear seats, and I would slide from one side to the other during the trip. Taxis were more dangerous to pedestrians than to the passengers. I remember late one night when the driver left a little old lady spinning around in the street over in Peterfs neighborhood. Come to think of it, that might have been Peter in drag.
by Wally (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2012/11/30 05:21
Taxis were still 60, 70, or 80 yen for the first [something--kilometer or 1/2, perhaps] in 1961-63, again depending on the size and make of the car. We owned an ex-60 yen cab for a while. Pieces would fall off it mid-ride or scrape along the street.

Peter, wata geiru is my name. First name (surname), translate from J to E. Second name (given name), sound out.

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2012/11/30 13:16
Wata Geiru
Thank you for helping me understand your name.
help me more..Wata is your first name and Geiru is your second name. Is this right ?
Don't wish to pry,you are Japanese right ? Your english is so perfect.

Wata Geiru? 2012/11/30 21:12
Gail Cotton?

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2012/12/1 00:03
Hi Dave-san
Yes maybe. I have the Weta as cotton or wool.
[fabric] but didn't make the Geiru . Gale ?
[storm ?] I love translating names. We did this around the "office" one day. The transliteration and interperation is very cool.

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2012/12/1 06:00
Dave-san
did a little more research..you nailed it
I've got ..Gail Cotton.. as you did.
This Japanese name translates very nicely to English.

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2012/12/2 18:28
Yes, that is correct, Dave-san and Peter. :-)

Geiru-san 2012/12/3 02:06
Very clever! I should have thought of doing that with my name. Dave translates very nicely to Dabu but Horne might be a problem. I suspect I would get an entirely different meaning with Horne than with Horn. I started using Dave-san to distinguish myself from someone who had earlier posted as Dave.
You are an American who lived in Japan at some point as a military dependant, ne?

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2012/12/3 09:40
Dave-san

Your last name is not a problem..

Horn= tsuno

the problem comes with ne..ne?
as in Horn-ne.

sorry..im tired tonight.

Page 171 of 233: Posts 3401 - 3420 of 4655
prev
1 ... 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 ... 233