Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 183 of 233: Posts 3641 - 3660 of 4653
prev
1 ... 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 ... 233
next

BB painting 2013/12/14 01:29
Kaoru san:
I'm guessing the battleship picture was painted after we left Yokohama in 1961. I remember the Seaside Club but not the pix.

My guess would be the Missouri (BB-63) now on duty as a tourist attraction in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.

Curiously, the "63" designation is now also on the Guided Missile Cruiser Cowpens (involved in the recent confrontation with a Red Chinese Navy ship.)
I didn't know the US Navy was reusing numbers from recent history...
by Eric (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2013/12/14 20:05
Thank you Peter and Eric-san

Maybe pic of Seaside Club someone will answer in the near future.
I am anxious about the peace of Asia.
They were approaching carrier, purge and other...

by Kaoru (guest) rate this post as useful

Peter's question 2013/12/14 23:53
I've told this story before but as Christmas approaches, it's worth retelling.

Back in the 1950s, there were orphanages for old folks in Japan, sponsored to a limited extent by the Japanese government. Most of the seniors were the remaining parents of sons lost in the war. They were broke and had no family to look after them.

The orphanages, as I remember them, were away from the city, built to a long house, apartment style with sliding doors and tatami floors.

My dad's Masonic Lodge found out about the orphanages and adopted one of them. The lodge supplied groceries from the PX & Commissary, rice and charcoal--the little rooms were freezing cold.

By the day before Christmas, lodge members had gift wrapped "presentos," gloves and clothing items, for each of the old timers.

The gifts were delivered by lodge member "Tiny" Alford, a 300 pound guy in a Santa suit, who sang "Shina No Yoru," at the top of his lungs.

The Japanese didn't quite know what to make of Tiny but all had a good laugh and were grateful someone had remembered them on a cold winter's day.

USN Ship Numbers 2013/12/15 15:09
Eric - Each class of USN ships is numbered sequentially after the Alphabetic class designation. USS Missouri (BB-63) is a United States Navy Iowa-class battleship. USS Cowpens (CG-63) is a Ticonderoga-class guided missile cruiser. Every class that has at least 63 ships will have one numbered 63. If all USN ships had a unique number they would all be at least six digits now. See explanation at http://www.navweaps.com/index_tech/index_ships_list.htm
by Dave-san (guest) rate this post as useful

USN #s 2013/12/15 23:53
Thanks for the clarification, Dave.

It was interesting to read that early BBs were designated just "B." I should have guessed the Navy would reuse ship numbers since there have been three "Iowa" and two "Missouri" battleshps.

btw, my grandfather served on the the BB-03, USS Oregon while the ship participated in the Siberian expedition to Russia in 1917.

Naval Aircraft Numbers 2013/12/16 00:55
Eric-san - Interestingly, naval aircraft are numbered sequentially with the result that all aircraft currently have six digit numbers. http://www.joebaugher.com/navy_serials/navyserials.html
Lots of neat old pictures of BB-03 USS Oregon here: http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/03c.htm
by Dave-san (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2013/12/18 00:16
Here is the story I promised.

Sometime around New Years we were walking in downtown Yokohama. We stumbled upon a street fair. There were brightly lit booths selling basically one item. A bamboo rake with all kinds of good luck trinkets attached, things like gold colored coins and the waiving cat.
The booths were maned by groups of people like some club or other we didn't know.
I approached one booth with young men and asked how much one of the rakes were. They said they were something like 5 thousand yen. Way to much for my humble budget. So we turned to walk away when they started yelling for us to come back. We just kept walking. Another booth, same thing. Finally we found a booth with some nice little old ladies and we bought one of the rakes as a souviner. It was 200 yen.

Now in Japan we were told that merchants have a fixed price system and that haggleing or bargening is not good form.

After this street fair encounter we learned that the ONE exception to the bargening rule is this one fair where you are encouraged to haggle your hearts out. Apparently this was a celebration of commerce, where civic groups put up these booths as a fund raiser, and part of the fun is to see how cheaply you can get one of these decorated bamboo rakes. Had we known we would have loved to play with the young men. I don't know what they thought of us for walking away. Stupid Gijin.

I kept this rake for many years until it fell apart. It was a reminder to not assume that things were the way they seemed.

I have one other story but I would like to hear someone elses first. Any Takers ?

Oh, Kaoru-san What is the name of this festival, and the name of the rake ? I would like to learn more.
by Peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2013/12/18 06:03
Hello, Peter-san and all

Today's Yokoham has bad weather,
probably snow will fall from night.
Well, This festival is called "Tori-no-ichi(“Ñ‚ÌŽs)". It is a festival of "Ootori shrine(‘å˜h_ŽÐ)." The Ootori shrine has deified God of good fortune in battle, betterluck, and thriving business. The rake has a meaning collects many happiness. I think that you bought rake in the shrine of Magane-Chou Yokohama.
This link and movie clip are Tori-no-Ichi of Ootori shrine.
http://www.otorisama.or.jp/english.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSvN5QwY8dY&feature=watch_response_rev

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2013/12/18 08:56
I do not remember a shrine but there well could have been one. It was dark and the booths were very brightly lit.

In Video at 1;57 there is a booth that has the "look and feel of the evening. It was magic.

OK Kaoru-san please explain the bargaining for the price business.

OK guys, the next "stupid foreighner" story.

My next it a doozy.

U.S. Sailors claim cancer from Fukushima 2013/12/21 07:57
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/12/20/sickened-by-service-more-us-sailo...

When the USS Ronald Reagan responded to the tsunami that struck Japan in March 2011, Navy sailors including Quartermaster Maurice Enis gladly pitched in with rescue efforts.

But months later, while still serving aboard the aircraft carrier, he began to notice strange lumps all over his body. Testing revealed he'd been poisoned with radiation, and his illness would get worse. And his fiance and fellow Reagan quartermaster, Jamie Plym, who also spent several months helping near the Fukushima nuclear power plant, also began to develop frightening symptoms, including chronic bronchitis and hemorrhaging.

gI get so angry. They said as long as the plume was avoided we would be fine."
- Navy sailor Jamie Plym

They and 49 other U.S. Navy members who served aboard the Reagan and sister ship the USS Essex now trace illnesses including thyroid and testicular cancers, leukemia and brain tumors to the time spent aboard the massive ship, whose desalination system pulled in seawater that was used for drinking, cooking and bathing. In a lawsuit filed against Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO), the plaintiffs claim the power company delayed telling the U.S. Navy the tsunami had caused a nuclear meltdown, sending huge amounts of contaminated water into the sea and, ultimately, into the ship's water system.

gAt our level, we werenft told anything,h Plym told FoxNews.com. gWe were told everything was OK.h

Now, Plym, Enis and dozens of others wonder if their service to their country and to Japan has left them doomed.

gI get so angry," Plym said. "They said as long as the plume was avoided we would be fine. But we knew then that something was going to happen. Common sense tells you that the wind would blow it everywhere. You donft need to be a nuclear scientist to figure that out.h

San Francisco Attorney Charles Bonner,who is representing allegedly cancer-stricken sailors, initially filed a federal suit in the Southern District of California more than a year ago on behalf of a dozen sailors. The lawsuit was initially dismissed, when the court ruled that any ruling would hinge on interpreting communication between the Japanese and U.S. governments, which could violate the separation of powers. But Bonner is amending the suit to add new allegations that would fall under the court's jurisdiction. And the number of plaintives has more than quadrupled as more service members come forward with radiation-related illnesses, he said.

gThey went in to help with rescue efforts," said Bonner, who plans to refile the suit on Jan. 6. "They did not go in prepared to deal with radiation containment.h

The plaintiffs don't blame the U.S. Navy, which they believe acted in good faith, Bonner said. It was the plant's operators who sat on the meltdown information during the crucial hours following the March 11, 2011 disaster, he said.

gTEPCO pursued a policy which caused rescuers, including the plaintiffs, to rush into an unsafe area which was too close to the [Fukushima nuclear power plant] that had been damaged,h Bonner charged in an April filing now being updated to add more plaintiffs. gRelying upon the misrepresentation regarding health and safety made by TEPCO, upon information and belief, the U.S. Navy was lulled into a false sense of security.

gThe officers and crew of the U.S.S. Reagan (CVN-76) and other vessels believed that it was safe to operate within the waters adjacent to the FNPP, without doing the kinds of research and testing that would have verified the problems known to the defendant TEPCO at the time.h

Nathan Piekutoski, 22, who served aboard the USS Essex, which was in the same deployment as the Reagan, said sailors had no choice but to trust what they were told.

gThey did say it was safe at the time,h Piekutoski said. gWe had to take their word for it.h

Piekutowski says he suffered from leukemia and, while he is currently in remission, Doctors have told him that he may need a bone marrow transplant.

gWithin a few months I started getting all these weird symptoms," he recalled of the months following the disaster response. "Night sweats. Not sleeping. I started losing a lot of weight.

gItfs one of those things," he added. "Youfre angry that it happens but we had to go. It was our duty. I joined the military to help people in need.h

A spokesperson for the Department of Defense declined to comment on the pending lawsuit, but told FoxNews.com the Pentagon has been monitoring and collecting data on radiation exposure in the region.

TEPCO officials did not respond to requests for comment. But a recent admission before members of the Japanese press on Dec. 12 during a meeting at the Tokyo Press Club, former Prime Minister Naoto Jan said the first meltdown occurred five hours after the tsunami, not the next day as reported at the time.

Bonner alleges that the statement means that the Japanese government knew radiation was being leaked and did not inform the U.S. Navy.

gThey knew there was an active meltdown and they deliberately hid it from the public as well as the Navy,h Bonner said. gThose sailors went in there totally unaware and they were contaminated as a result.h

Plym says she is prepared to have her symptoms question in court, should the case go to trial. But with so many U.S. sailors coming forward, she believes justice will prevail.

gPeople will say that out lawsuit is fake and that we are doing this for money, but itfs really about getting the correct information out there,h Plym said.
by Joe G (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Sailors claim cancer from Fukushima 2013/12/21 10:22
We appreciate rescue by US and other countries northeast great earthquake very much.

I commiserate with sailors and their family greatly.

As for Fukushima, it is actual that the radioactive material is leaking still now.
The staff of TEPCO is working hard.

There are some causes about the accident of a nuclear power plant.
It had too large tsunami.
It did not have experience of massive tsunami like this in TEPCO.
Response of the governmental big earthquake was too bad.

Now, does not have compensatory capability in TEPCO.
I think that the Japanese government is examining it.

TEPCO 2013/12/21 12:41
TEPCO is ultimately at fault for building the nuclear power plant and its back up power system (to keep the nuclear core under control) too close to the sea in a known earthquake zone.

The national government in Tokyo had the obligation to critically inspect the location, design and operation of the TEPCO plant but didn't do it's job.

Based on news reports and editorials, it appears the agency charged with oversight and the utility are both as guilty as BP (after its oil spill) in the US.

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2013/12/23 11:43
Konnichiwa, Merry Christmas !

This PDF is the pictures of postwar Yokohama-Yokosuka exhibited in Kanagawa Prefectural Museum of Cultural History.

The girl's poster and bronze statue are Hibari Misora of a famous singer in Japan.

Yokohama History pictures are Bashamichi after air raid, Zaki, Octagon theater, MacArthur theater, and others.

"Chigusa" was a coffee shop Noge, Yokohama. There storekeeper very loved modern jazz and was always able to hear the good sound.

http://www.t-walkers.com/Yokohama-Yokosuka-Story.pdf

Merri Christmas 2013/12/24 23:32
I would like to take this opportunity to wish
all of my good friends here at the J-P Guide forum a very Merry Christmas.

May the light of the season shine brightly
on all of you, bring you prosperity and peace.

Christmas eve long ago 2013/12/25 23:31
55 years ago on Christmas eve, I listened to the Far East Network, Tokyo, radio station cover Santa's arrival in Japan. U.S. Army radar had picked up the silhouette of flying reindeer which my mom assured me was Santa's signature.

There was commentary between the half dozen FEN stations up and down the Japanese islands, each equipped with an amazing array of monitors, reporters on the ground, play-by-play from someone in an airplane and another guy in a helicopter.

The first confirmed touchdown was for the kids in far north Hokkaido, which made sense. Santa was coming in from the North Pole and there was no reason to double back.

An hour later, almost 9 pm, FEN still had Santa covering the kids up north and as I drifted off to sleep it occurred to me that Santa was spending an inordinate amount of time in Hokkaido.
by Eri (guest) rate this post as useful

Christmas Eve 1967 2013/12/27 05:42
I will never forget Christmas Eve 1967 at the 106th Army Hospital, Yokohama, Japan. We had a contest and the wards were decorated to try to make them nice for all the wounded soldiers. The Chief Nurse volunteered me to help the Red Cross girls distribute "ditty bags" to the patients, and I am glad she "volunteered" me because it was a very rewarding experience. It was wonderful and had such a profound effect on me that I volunteered on other Christmas Eves at other bases, such as Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri. I went with the Red Cross girls, some nurses, corpsmen and doctors around to all the wards to deliver little bags of necessary items to the patients. The bags contained socks, toothpaste and brushes, nail clippers, combs and all sorts of things that people sent from Red Cross offices all over the United States. It was a tradition, and I hope that it is still going on today!
by Wally (guest) rate this post as useful

Christmas 2013/12/27 23:29
Hey Wally
I hope they continue the tradition also.

Not to be too cynical but they probably call them "holiday" gift bags now.

Did you win the big powerball in Missouri ?
If it was you, I can pack my bags in 20 minutes. Rising Sun..here we come.

Yasukuni 2013/12/28 12:27
Hello, Everyone

Did you have wonderful Christmas night?
I hope it !!

The other day, Japan's Prime Minister worshipped at Yasukuni Shrine

Several nations did big criticism about it. Many countries have national war dead cemetery.

And head of the state of the countries go to visit to pray. Several war criminals of World War II are enshrined together by Yasukuni.

I think this is a big mistake. I think that should make the system separation of worship war criminals at Yasukuni Shrine.

We are apologizing for the big crime of World War II. Do we need to apologize even after 1000 years?

What do you think about this problem?

War shrines 2013/12/28 23:16
Kaoru san makes a good point. Every nation holds the tradition of honoring those lost in war.

In the US, we honor the battlefields and heros from both sides dating back to our Civil War.

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2013/12/29 00:23
I read a brief article on this and it said the US was "disappointed" to have the prime minister visit this most sacred shrine.

What was the point in that ? These war dead served their country and paid the price. I see nothing wrong whatsoever in honoring the fallen soldiers.

War is not a pretty thing. So-called "crimes" are committed by both sides.
This is not to excuse the holocost, which was against civilians. These interned In Yakasuni are soldiers. And it has been one generation.

This is not about justice. This is about control and influence. How quickly some "criminals" are forgiven when it suits our purpose. Perhaps there is something more to this [there often is] but I don't see it.

I recall that there was a dust-up over Ronald Regan visiting a cemetery in Europe that held some Nazi SS soldiers. perhaps he was unaware that they were there. Perhaps the same applies here and the intent was to
to honor ALL of the war dead.

We need to respect the sensitivies here and
let people, even government officials pray in their own way. I thought we stood for religious tolerance.

I suggest that this might be a stupid move by the new US Ambassador. If so, this will not be the last.

Page 183 of 233: Posts 3641 - 3660 of 4653
prev
1 ... 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 ... 233
next

reply to this thread