Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 26 of 26
prev
1 2

P.S. 2014/9/28 21:08
But I'm truly glad that Ken came back in hope to clarify. ずっと気になっていました。ご説明をお待ちしています。
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Use of English words in Japanese 2014/9/29 00:03
clarify ? for what.

I already told there is NO relationship among WW2,USA and English words use in Japanese.

English is originally UK language. not restricted to USA. USA was one of the UK colonies. USA language is one of local dialects of UK language.
I was born AFTER WW2. English I learned in schools was UK language, colour, theatre, etc.
According to your opinion, school should change to US language after WW2, as soon as possible.

please escape from WW2.

each language has been developed with absorbing other languages. "cash card"キャッシュカード is not English, it is Japanese, as you know.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Use of English words in Japanese 2014/9/29 18:45
According to your opinion, school should change to US language after WW2, as soon as possible.

Not at all. Why did you think that that was my opinion? Again, I'm sorry for being mis-leading.

戦後の学校教育は英語でおこなうべきだと私が考えたと思っておられるのですよね? それはまったくの誤解です。なぜそうお思いになったのか見当もつきませんが、誤解を与えてしまい、本当に申し訳ありませんでした。そんなとんでもない理屈に触れたら、確かに私も不快に感じるでしょう。

繰り返しますが、2014/9/18 01:11 付けでトピ主さんが「(母国)フランスでは政治も絡んで英語を排斥する運動があったが、日本でそれがなかったのが不思議」と書いておられたので、私が「日本でもそれは戦時中にあった。しかし今は政治的にはない」と書いただけのつもりだったのですが。

correction 2014/9/30 09:30
訂正です。戦後の学校教育は英語でおこなうべきだと私が考えたとお思いになったのではなく、戦後の学校における英語教育は英国式ではなく米国式に替えるべきだと私が考えたと思っておられるのですね。それも誤解ですし、なぜそういう論理になるのかわかりません。なににせよ、早く誤解が解けるといいです。

I figured you thought that I thought Japan should switch from British English to American English after the war. But that is a misunderstanding as well. I've never thought of it that way, and I don't know why this misunderstanding occured. I hope everything could be settled soon.

Re: Use of English words in Japanese 2014/10/3 21:10
Two points. Briefly: Uco, I understood everything you wrote in your several responses, and everything you said accorded with my experience and study. You wrote clearly and informatively.

The other point is that there IS an Académie française (French Academy), which keeps strict control over the content and usage of the French language and frowns--deeply--upon the invasion of French by any other language, particularly, I think, the ubiquitous American English. (I do think French folks sneak in an "okay" now and then. I don't know what the French call a tsunami, or sashimi, or tatami, or any other commonly used Japanese word. Perhaps our French contributor can say.)

Anyhow, I do not know of any other nation that keeps such rigid control over its language as do the French with their official Academy. Even the languages that are being revived (such as native languages in the United States and Canada) seem to adapt English terms rather than trying to create Navajo or Cree or Cheyenne words for "new technology" as somebody described above.

Now, if I may express what is purely an opinion on the question of Japanese cultural traditionalism: It is precisely because Japan has been so accommodating to Chinese, Dutch, Portuguese, and English words and so willing to adopt new concepts and even customs that Japan has been able to survive largely intact over centuries. "Bend, don't break" could be the description of this process.
by wata geiru rate this post as useful

Re: Use of English words in Japanese 2014/10/3 22:07
Wata geiru, nice to hear from you again, and thank you for your support and contribution. I too understand what you mean when you say that Japan is about "bend, don't break". Japan has been extremely flexible when it comes to trying out new words.

Slightly off-topic, whenever I read about the French and its language, I can't help but remembering the story "Saigo No Jugyo" (La Derni鑽e Classe). I think a lot of Japanese people have read it in their Japanese Reader (kokugo) text books in grade school just as I did.

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 26 of 26
prev
1 2

reply to this thread