Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 22 of 22
prev
1 2

Re: Kiyomizudera renovations 2015/10/24 11:18
Wow, it's been a while since I've regularly participated in this forum and this thread shocked me. I agree with koohii2wii. How about everyone takes a deep breath and we start over?

OP: I've read there'll be construction at kiyomizudera during my trip. As it's the thing I most want to see, will it still be worthwhile at that time? I'd hate to miss out on a place I've read so many positive things about.

Response: Don't worry, OP, it won't impact too heavily on your visit. By the way, I'd also recommend you visit x, y and z if you have a chance. Enjoy your trip!

OP: Great, thanks! I appreciate the suggestions too.

There we go. Harmony is much nicer.

By the way, OP if you haven't left us my personal recommendation would be to also have a wander around Higashiyama while you're nearby.
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: Kiyomizudera renovations 2015/10/24 22:36
The reason I asked if you had researched Kyoto much beyond Kiyomizu Temple is because if you had said that you actually hadn't done much research, my suggestion would have been to have a look at other places to see if you are interested. But since you said you HAVE done research, it leads to the question: Did anything aside from Kiyomizu Temple interest you?

If you DID find other places of interest, did they make you feel that it'd be worth visiting them in spite of the Kiyomizu Temple renovations? If you were left thinking, "They look nice, but I REALLY want to visit Kiyomizu Temple" then I would suggest postponing the trip, because the work WILL affect your experience. It continues to have greater and greater affect.

I'm not sure what to say about your idea that "people who like Japan are jerks". I've met rude and obnoxious people with interests in Japan, as well. I've also met rude people with interests in China, Korea, Europe, Africa, Latin America... It has never crossed my mind to avoid all travel because of it.

The person you met who told you your ignorance will be bad for Japan is not be worth any greater thought. ALL travelers are ignorant; Experience helps rid ignorance, after all. (And what exactly does he think HE contributed?)

You are right, of course, that planning a trip to Vietnam, Ethiopia, etc. could be equally or more rewarding. They are not Japan, though. It is your trip and you can cancel it for whatever reason you like, whether it be a distasteful internet comment, horoscope, etc. No one can force you to go.

For what it's worth though, there are plenty of people who love Japan AND Europe. There are also tons of Europeans who travel to Japan every year who go home happy with treasured memories. The internet community will not be in Kyoto with you if you go. The internet community will not know of your travels whether you go to Kyoto or Kathmandu. Your travels are your own experience.
by Rabbityama (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 22 of 22
prev
1 2

reply to this thread