Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 26 of 26
prev
1 2

Hatred? 2007/2/21 22:49
Yellow is often used as a color for hatred, in some western countries. Giving someone yellow roses means you don't like them.

???

Which western countries are you talking about?
by frenchy rate this post as useful

flowers 2007/2/21 23:52
You sound so surprised??

The Netherlands is a good example. I should now I live there. Yellow roses : hatred/jealousy/envy.

I probably forgot to mention this goes mostly for flowers haha.
by wolley rate this post as useful

Sorry... 2007/2/22 00:47
Sorry, i didn't mean to be agressive...
It's only because i never heard about hatred in color code. Neither in flower language.

* except if you offer, say, a cactus to your worst enemy !! ;-)

...but i'm digressing... :-#
by frenchy rate this post as useful

. 2007/2/22 12:41
Question has to do with Japanese culture, my friend is Japanese and likes Yellow sunflowers, I don't think the color means or symbolized hatred, not at least for the Japanese.

For example "red" *could symbolize "death" but people still love red roses.
by John rate this post as useful

Meanings of yellow 2007/2/22 22:03
In the UK, yellow is used for cowardice but only in spoken English. Likewise, "green with envy", but then again green can mean to feel ill or to be inexperienced. Many different meanings, so very ambiguous.

In China I notice that yellow is very popular but most people consider yellow to be a version of gold.

In Thailand yellow is very popular, especially people wear yellow T-shirts on Monday because it is the kings colour and last year his birthday was on a Monday.

Buddhist monks wear yellow/orange because they try to emulate the clothes that the Buddha wore: when he reached enlightenment he wandered into the forest and took bandages used to wrap dead people and used them to make clothes. Presumably they were originally white but yellowed due to age/decomposing bodies.

I don't believe Japan has any less ambiguous meanings for yellow.
by koan rate this post as useful

australia 2007/8/7 14:48
in australia, yellow means happiness, green means envy, read means anger or love, as does pink, blue means sadness. It is very interesting how colours have different meanings in different countries!
by craZyaNgel rate this post as useful

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 26 of 26
prev
1 2

reply to this thread