Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 25 of 25
prev
1 2

Re: Becoming a seiyuu in Japan as a foreigner 2016/5/9 12:09
I'm fluent enough in Japanese to get by in the studio and with day-to-day conversation, not fluent enough to be a newscaster. As for immigration matters, I consulted with an immigration lawyer and an accountant to prepare the paperwork.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Becoming a seiyuu in Japan as a foreigner 2016/5/9 23:37
I'm sorry if you took my post to mean you should give up on your dream, I was just a little concerned because it seemed like you were focusing too much on trying to get into seiyuu school right now and it seemed like you wanted to drop out of university, go to Japan and hope for the best. I think that would be a poor decision. I think it really does help as a foreigner to have a degree.

I know enough people who have gotten "dream" type jobs that I know it is possible for you. But I think you need a degree and a stronger knowledge of Japanese and you need to be happy living in what could be a very different culture than your own. The two people I know who left their "dream" jobs had a difficult time living within the expectations of Japanese culture. I am not saying Japanese cultural expectations are bad or that your possible cultural expectations are bad, but they can be different and some people find it hard to resolve the two.

I think planning to study in Japan is a great way to go about your plan. It will also give you a chance to see what life in Japan is really like. If you become fluent enough by the end of your stay you could contact a seiyuu school. Sometimes, it actually helps to be foreign. I have sometimes gotten special treatment or interest because of it.

There is nothing wrong with teaching English. There are better teaching positions than others, but I know a lot of people who do that in Japan and enjoy it. It is the easiest way to get a work Visa for Japan. The quality of the places that employ people vary. If you can get into the program, 2 of the people I know who ended up with "dream" jobs and love being in Japan started out in the JET Program through the Japanese government. Generally, it is easier to move around jobs within Japan once you are already have a job in Japan.

If you're interested in getting involved in light novels, once you're able to write in Japanese I would recommend trying to sell doujinshi at an event. Professionals have been known to have tables at larger events (I met Kouga Yun at a Haru Comic City) and some circles have become professional thanks to being found at events. It's also fun and a way to meet people and make connections. It's very hard to get a spot in Comiket, but outside Comiket it's just applying for an event on time. You do need a Japanese mailing address and to be able to pay for your space. But for many big and small events once you are in Japan, it's not that hard. Some friends of friends became rather successful as a Naruto circle.

I also just think you don't really need to worry about PR/Naturalization just yet. Live in Japan for at least 3 years under a work visa and then start thinking about it. It just seems like a bit of a rush to worry about it now, when you've not even ever lived in Japan. The only people I know who have had an easy time getting PR are married to Japanese people. However, not having PR will not keep you from staying in Japan long term. I have good friend who will have lived in Japan 13 years in October and my friend who tried to get PR and couldn't has been there for more than 13 years. You are really only in danger if you have no one to sponsor you, which after you've been there a while is once every 3 years I think?

by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Becoming a seiyuu in Japan as a foreigner 2016/5/10 05:46
@rkold
Don't worry about that! I didn't take your post the wrong way, but it did provide a nice piece of insight for me. I'm not necessarily against being told my dream is near impossible to achieve, but the whole point of this thread is to gather ideas so I know where to start and what to do before launching a plan into action.

In any case, no, I do plan on finishing my years in university and getting a degree so I can become an English teacher in Japan. In the event the plan fails or I become uninterested in teaching English, at least I'll have a degree to back me up. For sure, I will try my best to sign up for a foreign exchange program though.

I would definitely love to try selling doujinshi if given the chance. I'm also super surprised that you would mention Kouga Yun, haha. But anyway, thank you for the long and detailed reply. I really appreciate it because it sparks more ideas in my head and gives me a bit more hope.

I would love to work in the anime industry and I'll try my best to get there, though I also don't want to be impulsive or impractical about it.
by Ai (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Becoming a seiyuu in Japan as a foreigner 2017/3/18 01:18
Hey Ai,
I might be quite slow knowing of this post but I looks like we're on the same route here. I'm currently residing in Thailand (and I AM THAI) also hoping to become a seiyuu in Japan. I've studied Japanese for 4 years of Japanese in the university (strangely in the US) and still working on it to go for N1 qualification (for the JLPT). If I can get my JLPT qualification I would aim for enrolling in a voice acting course in one of the seiyuu schools in Japan. The schools that accept foreigners are small in numbers, for example Tokyo School of Anime or something like that where they do accept foreginers with N2 qualification or above. Try check the home page of the school I mentioned first of all. Going to one of the seiyuu schools might help with the debut in Japan, and I think so too, just need the language qualification first.
by M1Ck Suzuki (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Becoming a seiyuu in Japan as a foreigner 2017/3/18 01:36
Hey Ai,
Looks like we have something in common over here. I also want to become a seiyuu in Japan and make a debut in the anime industry. Right now I'm trying to get the N1 JLPT qualification so I can go to one of the seiyuu schools that accept foreigners right now. I believe that going to the seiyuu school will help in entering the seiyuu industry.
by Suzuki M1Ck (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 25 of 25
prev
1 2

reply to this thread