Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 27 of 27
prev
1 2

Re: Getting a credit card in Japan 2017/3/2 17:51
Hi,

When I applied for a credit card I got declined the first time because I was not longer than a year in Japan at that time.

After one year I have tried again and got a credit card from Rakuten.
In that same year I have applied for another credit card from USC.

It is true that credit card companies are more strict against foreigners who wish to apply, because we are not an citizen from Japan.

My best advise is if you apply is someone who is a guarantee.

Good luck
by Albert (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Getting a credit card in Japan 2017/3/3 10:51
my first credit card i got it when i was a student.
you dont need to be married or speak japanese .

as you have a job , just go nearest ANNA airline office around your city pick the forms . fill it . attarch prove of your employment, ID, health insurance card, jumihyo to prove your address . you most get .
by chike20 rate this post as useful

Re: Getting a credit card in Japan 2017/3/3 12:35
@chike20
well you must be lucky then. From your profile it seems like you also have the Japanese nationality, maybe that's why it was easy for you.
Unfortunately not all foreigners easily obtain a credit card. I did all what you mentioned (prove of your employment, ID, health insurance card, jumihyo) but still got rejected. The other credit cards I applied online to didn't even give me the chance to prove my status. Straight out rejection after filing the application form online.

My best advise is if you apply is someone who is a guarantee.

@ DQ28
Yeah looking at my current situation I should focus on getting any Japanese card for now.
I can try to apply for the JCB credit card later.
However Rakuten offers VISA DEBIT cards and JCB DEBIT cards not CREDIT cards. There is no Rž or anything close to that. So it's 100% guaranteed that I'll get it. The catch is that I'll have to open a bank account in Rakuten.
So I was wondering if it's better to go with the VISA debit card. Perhaps it might make it easier to apply for Rakuten's credit card in the future. Or should I go with the Rakuten's JCB debit card because I can get more points and there is no annual fee.
Annual fee for Rakuten's VISA debit card is about 1500 and 3500 for the normal and gold cards respectively.

by mkab rate this post as useful

Re: Getting a credit card in Japan 2017/3/3 13:15
However Rakuten offers VISA DEBIT cards and JCB DEBIT cards not CREDIT cards.

Oh right, my mistake, on your previous posts I just skimmed the JCB and VISA parts cause they`re in big letters lol, I missed the debit part, sorry.

Yes you should make a DEBIT card wherever you find convenient, I would go for the one without annual fee because DEBIT card because to my surprise DEBIT card is a new and not commonly used thing here in Japan (so much so they need TV commercials here to promote DEBIT).

Back home all ATM cards also act as DEBIT cards from the start, but here unless you ask for the new DEBIT you only get a CASH card. While improving, the number of stores accepting DEBIT here in Japan is not as good.

On Student credit cards, I forgot to mention the friend who failed getting an SMBC card in the end applied for a new credit card collaborating with our university, got it in one go. Student cards probably have more lenient reviewing process as long as you can finance your study and all.

Unfortunately most student cards have 100,000 yen usage limit until graduation, and since OP is working it`s not an option anyway.
by DQ28 rate this post as useful

Re: Getting a credit card in Japan 2017/3/3 14:13
It is strange.
I applied last week for ANA card and got the result today almost in a week. I have ANA visa card now.
I guess these are the advantages:
-I work with a big Japanese company (part timer for over two years)
-Live in Japan for over 4 years
One more thing that might be a factor:
-The owner of the house is the father in law. This might be a plus.
-I have another CC for MAL card.
They did not know that I am married to a Japanese.

After failing for over 4 years to get a Japanese credit card, in last two months I got 3 CC and next week I guess I will receive the 4th one.
I am not sure why I was always refused in the past and why now I can easily get a CC.

I understand how you feel about the situation. I was not feeling comfortable when I was being denied in the past.

I hope the above information helps you somehow.

by kika (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Getting a credit card in Japan 2017/3/3 21:15
Oh right, my mistake, on your previous posts I just skimmed the JCB and VISA parts cause they`re in big letters lol, I missed the debit part, sorry.
Haha, I thought as much lol. Thanks for the info! I'll go with the debit card then.

Just to be sure, do you think JCB and VISA share the same information about candidates they previously rejected? My guess is that they don't.

@kika
I see. But you've been living in Japan for 4 years and you also have Japanese family ties, so you've got that for you.
But wow failing to get a card over 4 years, is kind of hard! How did you manage to survive? lol
I hope I don't have to wait that long to get one :'(
by mkab rate this post as useful

Re: Getting a credit card in Japan 2017/3/6 16:41

Alright then, fetched from somewhere else is a list here of credit cards that are reported to be open to foreign customers. Might help to know these ones.

Promise (JCB Card)

Promise is a well known consumer financial service for short-term loans for a relatively high interest. After applying for a checking account, there is a high probabilty you will be deemed suitable to qualify for a credit card.

Citigroupfs Citi Card

A high rate of approval. Annual fees exist. Applicable only with an annual salary more than 2 million yen.

SBI (MasterCard)

The approval system is known to be relatively lenient. The card comes with many benefits in terms of their point system. With a lot of points and travel insurance, there is annual fee. Recommended for those with a good and beneficial credit card.

TSUTAYA W Card / Famima Credit (JCB Card)

One of the leading consumer credit cards in Japan, there is no annual fees and users earn accumulated points each time money is spent on the card. These points can then be redeemed at Family Mart convenience stores, restaurants, and many other retail outlets.

Saison Card (American Express / Visa / MasterCard)

Department store credit card. Has an annual fee of 1,575yen.

by cc (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 27 of 27
prev
1 2

reply to this thread