Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 4: Posts 21 - 40 of 78
prev
1 2 3 4
next

Re: Completely lost.... 2005/8/24 12:04
I would have your BF check with the command that he'll be going to in order to determine the best way to bring you over long-term. As you guys aren't yet married, you aren't considered a dependant (ie spouse) of his, so there will probably be long-term visa issues to contend with. Not sure exactly what you guys will have to do, but I'm sure there is some method to addressing it (as I can only imagine this situation has come up before). Most important thing is to have him check NOW, as there'll likely be all kinds of hoops to jump through (more with regard to Japanese immigration/visa requirements than with the Navy itself).

Alan
by Tatonka_usn rate this post as useful

everything seem complex 2005/8/25 01:16
thanks for the help. everything seem so complex. i wish things could be easier.
by wow everything seem so complicated rate this post as useful

>60 days housing for Navy spouse? 2005/8/26 07:33
My daughter will be marrying a great guy stationed at Yokosuka early next summer and wants to spend the rest of the summer there with him and return to college in the fall. I don't think they would qualify for married housing because it is less than 9 months. Money will be tight. Any ideas?
by Cindy rate this post as useful

question 2005/8/26 11:38
hi! my husband and I thinking of going to japan for new billet, we are not sure if what will happen once we choose it, please give us an insight on what are the things to do and expect and disadvantages and advantages of choosing japan;
regarding to:

housing
car
pay
rents
life
and job for wife

thanks alot

sweetcandl
by sweetcandl rate this post as useful

My apologies for my recent absence 2005/9/15 18:06
Cindy. First let me congratulate you and your daughter on her engagement and marriage. May the future hold nothing but happiness for the both of them. First, I am not an expert so take what I say with a grain of salt. There should be a couple of ways to address your daughter's visit. First, married individuals who are unaccompanied are eligible for accomodations on a space available basis.
There are many Geographical bachelor's - (military term no my own terms) here and the base does all it can to accomodate base lodging at a resonable rate when stateside family members visit. I am not sure the entire summer can be arranged but hopefully an amiable compromise can be achieved.
Regards, Zathras
by Zathras rate this post as useful

sweetcandl 2005/9/15 18:15
Sweet, First, congratulations on your assignment to Japan if you decide to take it. I hope you will find it an enjoyable experience. Some of the questions you have asked have been previously addressed if you have specific questions or need further clarification please let me know.

Regards, Zathras

Also moving, have many questions 2005/9/19 03:11
I am also moving to Yokosuka, Japan this November. I have read much of the related websites from CNFJ etc. about housing in the area. As I am getting ready to ship my household goods I was wondering about the average kitchen size/cabinet space/appliances/countertop/etc. I am an avid cook and so I have acquired many kitchen appliances, pots, pans dishes, but I do not want to take too much, and I want room to add some Asian appliances/utensils/pots etc to my collection. Please advise.

Also, I've read some places that queen size box springs may be too big, is this really true? If too big how feasible all alternatives(futons, etc.) upon arrival for purchase/delivery/etc?

Thanks!
by Victoria rate this post as useful

NEED HELP PLEASE 2005/9/23 23:01
hi everyone, i have read all your post. i have just been married to a navy guy and he's moving to yokosuka in a couple of weeks. i plan on moving there in Feb. because it is the best time for me to move. i wonder if he can get housing of base before i move in? do i have to be there physically until feb. inorder for him to find housing first? Can he find housing for us in a couple of months in advance without me physically there?
is there a form or anything i need to fill out?

any answer would help,
you can email me at npmaus@aol.com.
thanks....
by NEEH HELP PLEASE rate this post as useful

Negishi Housing vs. Yokosuka 2005/10/5 22:54
Hi, I wanted to add to Shelly's comment about Negishi Housing. We're definately alot like a family here, and yes everyone does know everyone. ( Shelly and i just attended a baby shower together a few weeks ago, then i found her post here, such a small world! ) The commute can be a bit tiresome, especially if your spouse is stationed with a shore command, like mine. An hour + in the worst of traffic, like on Sundays and Japanese holidays. But don't let that deter you from considering it. Housing will immediately offer you a home in Negishi or Ikego, and will give you the opportunity to come look. Take that opportunity. If not, you may end up in Ikego or Yokosuka Towers. Crowded, small.. tile floors, people on top of people, litterally. There is a home to work bus, that travels between Negishi and Yokosuka, so that your spouse does not have to drive every day, and they're working to make the times for it even more convient every day. We have our own mini- Nex, Gas station, All-Hands Club, and pool. Also, Negishi is located in the city of Yokohama, japans second largest city and has a lot of cultural experiences, shopping etc to offer. alot of it is litterally just down the road! The train from here to Yokosuka is not that diffucult to take, and is actually much quicker and more effecient than driving. ( about equal in cost as well ) As for sponsers, well my husband didnt have one when we came out here either. To be truthful his command just never contacted him. I had to do a search of the net, and go out of my way to find out the information we needed. But we were definately flying blind. For that matter, we weren't even sure how to get to the base from the airport! Now, on the otherside of the coin, living on or off base in the Yokosuka area can be more convient, IF and thats a big IF you can find a place on base, consider yourself lucky. Housing there is tight and overcrowded. When there's alot of ships in port, the base itself can be crowded, traffic can get to be a pain, especially if they're doing any kind of construction. Thankfully there is a base bus, that works like a city bus in the states and will transport you around the base easily and quickly ( unless it's 5pm, then it's the rush for the gate and every man for himself! ^.^ ) For the first few months we lived here, i wanted to move to Yokosuka. I didn't like the idea of being so far away from the main base if anything happened. But i've come to love my community and neighbors, and the opportunities to be had here. If you have any questions, at all, about life here, getting around, the base, the housing areas, any of it.. please feel free to contact me. ( Or Shelly, she's the sweetest person you could ever meet )

Sincerely,
Anjil
LvnMyNavyGuy@aol.com
AnjilRae@hotmail.com
by Anjil rate this post as useful

Atsugi vs. Yokosuka 2005/10/6 04:21
I just found out that we were moving to Atsugi instead of Yokosuka. We will be transfering in Jan, does anyone have info on Atsugi? I have been on the website, however I am looking for anyone who can tell me about the housing, elem schools, buying cars, shopping and anything else helpful? I did all my research on Yokosuka, and then found that we will actually be at Atsugi, now I am lost. Any info would be nice. Thanks in advance.
by I Smith rate this post as useful

Re: Concerning Calling the states 2005/12/12 04:17
Kris, The information you provided on calling the US from the computer is great. I'm a contractor and will be traveling between the US and Yokosuka for the next year and this information is extremely helpful. Thank you!
by Kat rate this post as useful

Train help? 2006/1/1 19:04
Hi.
I've been living in Yokosuka for almost 2 and a half years and I still don't know how to use the train. Sometimes, I feel like im going to get lost, but my friends say that it's very easy. I live in Ikego so it's hard for me to get home if I stay in Yokosuka since my school is over there. I found a helpful website by the Navy that shows me how to get to Ikego by train, but I can't find a website that shows me how to get to Yokosuka by train. Does anybody have a useful website that shows me how to get to YOKOSUKA CHUO station from JIMMUJI station or any specific directions? It would really help me. Thanks in advance.
by In need of help. rate this post as useful

Train Help for "by In need of help." 2006/1/12 19:20
In response to your question concerning taking the train from JIMMUJI to Yokosuka chuo
The CFAY website has instructions for taking the train from Yokosuka to JIMMUJI at the following website
http://www.cfay.navy.mil/fscyoko/maps/mapframe.htm click the link in the left column labled "Ikego by Train".
Another helpful tool can be found at http://www.jorudan.co.jp/english/norikae/ Input the station you will depart and arrive and the time which you wish to travel. It provides detailed schedules based on most direct or cost effective route.

Hope this helps =)
Zathras

another thread with the same-ish name 2006/1/20 04:48
I just discovered that there are two threads identically named except for a single capital letter: ''moving to yokosuka'' and ''moving to Yokosuka''. Anyone who is still looking for answers might want to check both.
by watagei rate this post as useful

Moving to Japan 2006/1/23 23:32
My son married shortly after boot camp to a remarkable young lady who is also in the navy. They both had orders to go to Japan. My son was discharged due to a medical condition. Now she is in Japan and he is home. She is only an E1. Any ideas on how I can help them reunite. They have only been married 3 months. Thanks
by Hodges rate this post as useful

New to Yokosuka 2006/1/25 18:09
Hello, we are new to the Yokosuka area, but I have learned a few things while we've been here... first of all, if you live out in town, don't plan on having kids, the places are extremely small. I visited my friend's house (lived out in town) it was very very small, and in order to move in, he had to put up front about $6,000. Another friend of mine had to put up $9,000. Housing on base is very nice, the place we just moved into (last friday) was recently renovated, real wood floors downstairs, new carpet on the stairs and upstairs, very roomy, lots of storage, new appliances, no utility bills to worry about. The waiting list for housing really isn't that bad, we were here for 10 days before we moved into our house. Once you get here you will need to go through two housing briefs and fill out your application while there. At first you won't be able to drive, until you obtain your driver's license here. Make sure you schedule yourself for the AOB/ICR class ASAP in order to obtain that license. It seems like a very nice place to live and so far we are really enjoying it. However, one more piece of advice.... More than likely your husband's pay will not be straight right away, it will take some time to get it caught up, but it will get caught up and all that back pay is really nice. Once your pay is caught up, I know you will enjoy everything even more than at first, so for the time being, make sure you are setting some money back, just to plan for the "shortage" at first. Anyhow, take care and get ready to enjoy Japan.
by Chris rate this post as useful

moving to Yokosuka 2006/1/29 13:10
My husband and I will be moving to Japan for a 3 year tour in April. If there is any advice anyone could give us as far as housing, purchasing vehicles, cell phone service, and any other information that may help prepare us for what's in store it would be greatly appreciated.
by Tabitha rate this post as useful

Reply to Tabitha 2006/2/10 15:38
Tabitha... If I knew which branch of the military and which base you are relocating to myself or others in this community might be better able to assist you.
Regards, Zathras

http://www.cfay.navy.mil/ 2006/2/10 16:06
The Commander Fleet Activities Yokosuka Website has been revised and includes more information than before that may answer some of your questions. In addition, this revised website may make some of my previous postings obsolete
=(
Anyway, Check out the new site it may answer all your questions.... and leave me with nothing to do HA HA!!!!

Housing waiting list 2006/2/10 22:28
Hi everyone. We are moving to Yokosuka this summer with 2 school-age kids and a dog. I see on the cfay website that the list for townhouses on Yokosuka is 10-12 months, but I just read a posting on this site that says a house was obtained in about 10 days. Was this a townhouse or apt? Because of the dog, we aren't eligible for the high rises, and I'd love to know if the waiting list is considerably shorter than what the official version is. My husband will be in Japan in early May and I won't arrive with the children until July. We are hopeful that he will have found a house either in town or on the base by then so we can avoid TLA. Do you all think this is possible? I am not totally opposed to living off base, but I don't want to spend my life driving kids to and from school (they are very nervous about taking a bus since we walk to school here, so I need to be prepared to drive them). I am also concerned about having the dog in town. I don't want our daily lives to be miserable, but getting rid of the pet and kids (just kidding) are not an option. Is living out in town that bad? I've read about tatami mites, freezing temperatures, and myriad other bad things. It's strange because everyone I know who has lived in Japan loves it, but when you try to find things out, there is an awful lot of doom and gloom. we are excited about the move, but also very apprehensive...
by Charlie rate this post as useful

Page 2 of 4: Posts 21 - 40 of 78
prev
1 2 3 4
next

reply to this thread