Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 27 of 27
prev
1 2

shorts 2009/8/21 04:32
As someone who just moved here, and is used to wearing shorts quite often back at home, here are my opinions.

Wearing shorts is fine, but you will not fit in. Very rarely do I see guys wear shorts in Tokyo, unless they are obviously not going to an office. Since I don't work the same hours/style as most people do in Japan, whenever I walk around with shorts I really do feel out of place. I know I stand out because I'm a foreigner anyways, but it does make you feel a bit self-conscious about the whole thing.

Light airy pants would probably be a better choice if you just want to fit in and still be cool. Wish I had more of them. Guess I need to grow up more.

That being said, shorts are fine around the house, and even walking around the neighborhood after dark, say if you're walking the dog. But during normal business hours, it seems like people are far more formal in their dress, even if they aren't going to work. Pants, shoes, collared shirt (polo is fine). Shorts, tshirt, and sandals as I'm used to in hot weather is acceptable, but just not the norm.
by desertmover rate this post as useful

shorts again 2009/8/21 08:30
There has been a big surge in the number of people wearing shorts this summer in Tokyo. For guys they tend to be close to knee-length and they wear them with sneakers rather than sandals, but even in Ginza this summer I saw quite a number of guys of varying ages wearing shorts- it seems to be a new fashion.

Women wear them as well, but only very young women wear the really short ones.

In short, provided the shorts are at least mid-thigh, wear them if you like- Japanese people do too.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

/ 2009/9/17 18:09
I have seen some guys in shorts this summer...
buut not really the short-short ones, at least knee-lenght... As for women, well, until 20-25, Ive seen a lot wearing very short ones...
by Tatum rate this post as useful

Shorts are fine! 2009/9/17 22:31
I've just come back from 11 days in hot humid Japan, and wore shorts every day. I felt more out of place as a red headed foreigner than I did wearing shorts.

There were plenty of Japanese guys wearing shorts, but yes, less in the busy office areas and its clear that those who were wearing them simply weren't office workers.

They were of course the closer to knee length type and I did not feel any of the 'locals' would have thought I was rude/strange or otherwise. Go for it, you will be more comfortable in shorts and if you are doing any amount of walking and sightseeing you will regret wearing long pants simply to try and 'fit in'.

Have fun!
by meandher (guest) rate this post as useful

shorts in temple, castle and shrines 2009/9/19 02:20
I am also wondering about this, my bf wears shorts all year round (even during winter) and we are thinking of going this November. Can he wear shorts in temples and shrines?
by kamille (guest) rate this post as useful

ok 2009/9/19 05:59
I wear shorts year round also, no problems going anyplace. He'll get strange looks from people, coz most the Japanese are always bundled up with long coats, scarfs, & gloves if the weather hits 70 degrees. Tell you BF to dress in layers coz he'll most likey cook to death going in-doors if he's wearing too heavy of clothes.
by Daz88 rate this post as useful

Manors ? 2009/9/19 17:28
Yes, i think respect is for other cultures is very important. Im learning Japanese and a great deal of the course is on etiquette and manors. Also learning kanji and katakana.

I hope it helps.

by Rithy

You'd be better off dropping big houses and learning Hiragana.
by RodW rate this post as useful

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 27 of 27
prev
1 2

reply to this thread