Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 33 of 33
prev
1 2

sky city 2006/3/9 00:00
I saw a documentary on sky City only the thing was it said the the one in Japan will be cool but the one in Hong Kong will be bigger. So that got me confused a little cause I thought Tokyo is thec only city with this project.
by NO MAN 0 rate this post as useful

Tokyo needs sky city. 2006/5/16 00:59
With Tokyo the largest city in the world, they should have the largest building. I want to know when will it start, and when is the deadline?
by Peter from the US rate this post as useful

.. 2006/5/16 01:28
Again its a CONCEPT, not an actual project.

Ever been to a car show? They have concept cars, while the actual cars are not put into production, concepts used in developing and researching are used in building other cars.

Thats what Sky City 1000 is, its a concept, while it probably won't be built, concepts used in its research and development would probably be used in future projects.

As for Hong Kong, each city always vie for the biggest and largest buildings, its history and will continue that way.
by .. rate this post as useful

above high 2006/5/21 15:27
ugh ,yes, it does sound so nice one or two bedroom, I would so move in japan to live up there above clouds and all, alone . Lets get going I am saving my pennies .
by sender rate this post as useful

Sky City Possibiliy? 2006/6/23 18:15
I think their is a good chance that a tower like sky city could be built in the very near future. With the advancement of new technology the threat of global warming and urban sprawl causing lack of space it actually could be an alternative.
Although only a vision now it won't be long for a tower like this to be realized.

Other mega-tall projects are:
Burj Dubai which is expected to be 700meters - 850 meters (160-189floors) tall and to be completed late 2008 is under construction and already 50 floors and 190meters.

Al burj a proposal in dubai that could possibly be 200 floors.

There is also the proposal "Silk City" in Kuwait which has a tower planned to be 1001 meters tall.
by Jon rate this post as useful

... 2006/6/24 04:21
Its not about how "tall" something can be, you have have a tall tower or building with little floor space.

The concept in Sky City is a large wide and tall building. A building thats wide with 10 floors would probably be more useful than a narrow building with 20 floors.
by .. rate this post as useful

Concept? 2007/2/19 02:49
The government's behind it all. They just need to find a way to make the loose soil in Tokyo abl to support the weight of the structure. Once they find out how to do that they're good to start. Apparently, a lot of companies in Japan and around the world are working on tests to figure out the structure itself and, of course, the foundation isssues.
by SkyCity rate this post as useful

O well... 2007/4/24 02:27
i was planing to move to japan later in my years, and to some people they say that it wont be built for the next 20-40 years, heck, ill still be alive and live in it, besides, i love the hight and the concept of livivng in the sky is just sci-fi come real.
by James rate this post as useful

earthquakes?! 2007/4/24 14:01
I have lived in Tokyo for many years and no way would I want to live that high up in this extremely earthquake prone city.

I'm sure they will have all kinds of engineering in place that will theoretically help it to withstand an earthquake but no building is 100% earthquake proof.

10 storey high buildings sway enough here in relatively small earthquakes, I have no idea why anybody would want to live so many floors up while we are waiting for the next great Kanto earthquake to happen!

As others have said though, no work on it yet that I know of.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Bigger is more earthquake-resistent 2007/9/30 06:44
Ever been in a small airplane? The turbulence throws you around, you have to hang on just to stay in your seat. In a very large commercial passenger plane, however, turbulence is rarely even noticeable.

A building of this magnitude will hardly flinch at most earthquakes, even ones that crumble the nearby skyscrapers. In fact, the Sky City 1000 would probably be the safest place to live on the planet.
by Jon Davis rate this post as useful

tall building 2007/9/30 08:55
I have been in some very noticeable turbulence in large commercial planes- people hanging on to seats, unable to stand otherwise, drinks and food going everywhere- you've never experienced that?

I have also been in tall buildings in Tokyo and Yokohama during many small and one medium sized earthquake- they sway hugely, things fall over a lot. Effective firefighting is almost impossible in such a large building as well.

We'll just have to wait and see though- maybe it will become a reality. Taiwan, whcih is also earthquake-prone, has a pretty high building now, although nothing like a kilometre high.

I don't think it will happen any time soon- there would be a lot of people in Tokyo opposed to knocking down parts of the city for such a project for one thing, and I doubt it can be built on reclaimed land, which tends to liquefy during earthquakes as we saw in Kobe.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Why in Japan 2008/1/17 08:55
Who says Sky City has to go in Japan. There are a lot of other countries that could use a building like this. I think it would fit nice in Houston Texas.
by Dave rate this post as useful

sky city firefighting problem 2008/10/13 10:25
The sky city potential firefighting problem is being worked on. I saw something on the Science channel that metioned they have a fire-helicopter either in the making or already made. They planned to use that, as well as a bunch of high-tech fire alarms, office-style ceiling sprinklers, fire-resistent building materials, and whatever else they can to keep sky city from going up in flames.
by junebug rate this post as useful

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 33 of 33
prev
1 2

reply to this thread