Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 22 of 22
prev
1 2

Japan wedding 2009/10/28 08:39
You were brave to embark on that kind of undertaking in August in Kyoto- for anyone thinking of getting married in Japan wearing the kimono and wig etc, I recommend avoiding the very hot and humid summer. Also as mentioned above, the people you deal with outside of places most tourists go are unlikely to speak much English, so it's probably better to arrange an interpreter.

I know what you mean about the rings- my wedding ring gets very snug in the summer here to the point where I sometimes can't get it off, and in winter it's quite loose- I don't get that in my home country, which has a much milder climate.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

It's true about the heat 2009/10/28 12:06
The only thing I would've changed is getting married in a cooler month. :) It was extremely hot, but we spent most of our time in the waiting room and the ceremony room which were both air conditioned. We were stuck in the heat for the outside photos, though.

I actually survived the heat better than I thought I would. I think it's like the way they wear full body covering in the desert to keep the sweat from evaporating, which actually makes you sweat less. I was hot, but there was a day in Mie that was probably the same temperature that I wore shorts and a t-shirt and I actually sweat more! It was so bad it kept dripping into my eyes even though I wiped it off with a handkerchief every minute. Still, if you can avoid August, you would be better off.

We knew August would be bad but we did it because we wanted to climb Fuji and see the fireworks in Miyajima. Turns out we didn't get to do either of those things because my husband got sick, though.

I wished we still had our interpreter for the ward office! I read on the boards that getting married in Tokyo wasn't very hard, so I thought Kyoto would be okay since it's still a large city. Definitely be prepared with some one who can help you. Most ryokans or hotels that have English speaking staff are very helpful. Besides having one owner sign our certificate, we also had another staff member help us translate the information on one of the forms we needed.
The two ryokans that helped us also gave us a wedding gift! That was so kind of them. :)
by mikazuki81 rate this post as useful

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 22 of 22
prev
1 2

reply to this thread