Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 3 of 5: Posts 41 - 60 of 93
prev
1 2 3 4 5
next

there are many eaast asians 2007/9/21 13:06
Some body said they were falf j and half c and that their kid was a quarter of those and half korean. The kid came out with blue eyes which would mean they would have to have those genes on their korean side? Does anyone know anything about that? I know about tibetans, mongols and turkick peoples having light eyes (and hair) but this japanese thing is new to me.
by Trevor rate this post as useful

hopet it clarify a little 2007/9/21 22:47
Brown eyes can have alleles such as :
- I i (one dominant brown, and recessive blue) and
- I I (both dominant brown)
Blue eyes need to have: ii (both recessive alleles to be blue), only combination with brown eyes consisting Ii( one dominant and one recessive allel)can give blue eyes
Possible combinations:
Brown-eyed (Ii) + brown-eyed (Ii) can give: brown eyes(II) , brown eyes(Ii) and blue eyes (ii)
Brown-eyed (II) + brown eyed (Ii) can give : brown eyes(II) and brown eyes(Ii) sorry, no blue eyes here
Brown-eyed (II) + blue eyed(ii) = Brown eyes(Ii)
Brown-eyed (Ii)+ blue eyed (ii) = Brown eyes (Ii) and blue eyes(ii)
The worst thing is that we never know what kind of alleles we have, and so our partner ;P
by Maaya rate this post as useful

Ainu 2007/11/8 01:31
I may have an answer. Maybe people like you have some Ainu among your ancestors. As much as I know, Ainu are the aboriginal people of Japan, but, ironicly, many of them pretty much look like Europeans. So, you see, maybe you don't have to look far in the world, but actually in your own backyard. I hope that this will elucidate your doubts.
by Tom rate this post as useful

something-to-add 2007/12/22 11:19
My husband is half Japanese (Scottish & Japanese) and I'm caucasian (mixed Irish/English/Scottish). We have two children who are a 1/4 Japanese. One has gold/brown eyes & light brown hair and the other blue eyes & blond hair.

My husband has dark brown eyes & hair. I have hazel eyes & blond hair (my siblings have blue.) My husbands mom has hazel eyes but his maternal grandmother had blue eyes. So you never know.

(However, I do know I feel like I get suspicious looks sometimes when they look at our blue eyed son. lol! For the most part I just shrug it off. I also secretely smile when one of his asian looking half'n'half female cousins had a baby with a caucasian guy and it's blond. *grin* Keep those mixies coming!!)

My friends husband is 1/4 Japanese & looks like a young Ron Howard! Red hair, light eyes & freakles.
by something-to-add rate this post as useful

Ainu? 2008/1/10 11:57
I wonder if any of the light characteristics come from Ainu genes among the Japanese. I really don't know. Just an idea.
by Mr. Egg rate this post as useful

Not from Ainu 2008/1/11 18:59
An Ainu people have light color skin. But they have not other light characteristics. For example they have black hair and brown eyes. Many European and American persons reported about Ainu at 19th century. But no one had reported that Ainu had blond hair or blue eyes.

About genes of Japanese:
Famous anthropologist Kazurou Hanihara ûŒ´˜a˜Y(professors emeritus of Tokyo university)wrote that Japanese have two types of genes. One is Jomonfs (original habitants) other is Yayoies (mass migrant from Korean peninsula or continental Asia, in 5th century B.C.). And these were mixed, but Yayoifs overwhelmed Jomonfs. Also professor Hanihara wrote that an Ainu people and an Okinawa people might be direct descent of Jomon people. (Reference book: gorigin of Japanese(people)h, published by The Asahi Shimbun ’©“úV•·u“ú–{l‚Ì‹NŒ¹v)
by Inhabitant of Honshu rate this post as useful

eye color determination 2008/2/4 10:17
Since it all comes down to genes, the genetic make-up and ancestry of the parents needs to be looked at from a genetic standpoint and not just from looking at the physical characteristics of the parents and grandparents. The regions that the genes came from/adapted in has a very strong influence on the characteristics of any future generation.
In this case, we’re speaking of one parent being Japanese and the other being Caucasian (European). Both are broad ethnicities when one thinks about where the Japanese originally came to Japan from, and what part of Europe the Caucasian’s ancestors came from.
When speaking of eye color, there are three genes that play the major roles in determining eye color. The genes that give rise to brown eyes are dominant, while the genes that give rise to blue eyes are recessive. To have blue eyes, you need two recessive genes. Most Japanese have two dominant genes and one recessive: a combination that usually yields brown eyes and occasionally hazel to green eyes. There have been accounts, however, of blue-eyed people who are of pure Asian decent in China, Korea, Japan, Laos, and Thailand.
Assuming the Caucasian parent is blue-eyed, that parent may either have two or three recessive genes: which depends on which region of Europe the genes in that parent came from/adapted in. In the Scandinavian/Baltic regions, the triple-recessive combination is far more common, while in the more southern regions the double-recessive combination is predominate.
The example I like to use to illustrate how this combination works comes is that of two friends of mine who are now married and have two children. The mother is Japanese (fair-skinned, medium brown eyes, dark brown hair) and the father is Caucasian (Scandinavian ancestry Esteel blue eyes, blonde hair). This suggests that the mother has 2 dominant genes and 1 recessive gene, and that the father has the triple-recessive combination. Their oldest child (a very intelligent, active, funny boy) has brown hair and dark blue eyes Ea recipient of one of the recessive genes from the father and of the only recessive gene from the mother. Their second child (a very intelligent, artistically-inclined, and very sweet little girl) has brown hair and hazel eyes Ea recipient of one of the recessive genes from the father and of a dominant gene from the mother.
A child receives one of the three genes from each parent, and depending on the combination of those inherited genes, the eye color of the child is determined. Two dominant genes: brown eyes. One dominant gene, one recessive gene: variable. Two recessive: blue eyes
With one dominant gene and one recessive gene, other factors start to play a more important role, particularly the amounts of amounts of melanin and pigment that both parents have. If both parents are fair-skinned, the chances of lighter eyes in a child are greater; if one of both of the parents are darker, the chances of darker eyes in a child are greater.
The third gene that plays a factor in determining eye color, which I didn’t really elaborate on, has to do with ancestry going back beyond the parentsEhat’s where things get a little complicated.
by hapa rate this post as useful

The great debate... 2008/7/14 04:54
This is such an interesting thread to read as this has been a lifelong topic of discussion in my family due to my eye color! I am Hapa- Dad is Caucasian and Mom is "full-Japanese". I came out with green eyes and caused a bit of an uproar. Both parents are doctors and very familiar with how genetics work, so they knew right away that something was a mystery. My mother has said she thinks someone "jumped" the fence somewhere in our Japanese lineage, causing the recessive gene to be passed down generations until it was finally realized in my eyes. My grandmother, being the proud descendant of Samurai lineage (both she and my grandfather came from Samurai lineage), insisted that that could not have happened because our Japanese heritage was "pure"; instead, she insisted that there were rare Japanese tribes that lived in the mountains who were lighter skinned and light-eyed. I have never really known what to think; I wondered if my grandma was just being overly invested in "pure ancestry" and made up the story about the rare lighter-colored Japanese people. I'm very curious about any documentation that provides evidence for "light colored" Japanese as that could adequately explain my eye coloring. In high school Biology class, when I shared my story during our study of genetics, my teacher called me a "genetic anomaly." I'd like a better explanation than that!!
by Michelle rate this post as useful

Not unusual 2008/7/14 09:23
I'm not sure why it caused such an uproar- wouldn't the lighter coloured eyes have come from your father's side? Even if he doesn't have green eyes he may carry the gene for it somewhere.

I know lots of half-Japanese people (there are so many in Tokyo these days), and many of them have hazel/ greenish eyes- in fact relatively few of them have dark brown eyes.
The TV personality Becky, who is half-British, half-Japanese has greenish eyes.
by Sira rate this post as useful

genetics 2008/7/15 06:07
I have known a few African-Americans with light brown skin and green eyes yet both their parents had black eyes and medium brown skin. Quite a few Brazilians also have dark skin and green eyes. The wife of my former boss was born in Northern France from Italian parents both born in Northern Italy. Both she and her mom had very light brown hair and blue eyes.
by Auntie Bert rate this post as useful

same data, normal english 2008/12/3 12:32
Go to

http://www.thetech.org/genetics/index.php

and click on the what eyecolor will your children have. It gives the same data as the Professor but in 'normal'english.
by Valerie rate this post as useful

Can have blue eyes 2009/11/6 23:36
I am half Japanese (dad) and half English (mom). I have blue eyes and light brown hair. When I was a child, I had blonde hair. It got darker as I aged. People think I'm white but I do have high cheek bones and am more receptive to sun exposure than other whites.
by Blue eyed Japanese (guest) rate this post as useful

Pretty rare but not that rare 2009/11/7 12:42
I know black people with dark skin and hazel, green, grey and blue eyes. Middle brown skin and blue eyes. That guy from CSI is a good example. I went to school with a guy who was middle brown and he, his mother and sister had blue green eyes. It comes down to who your ancestors were. If anyone in your family has colored eyes, it is because they have a Caucasian ancestor.
by futuregirl (guest) rate this post as useful

huh? 2009/12/28 01:48
I thought I was told in a biology class that there are something like 20 loci that determine eye colour..

if true, that means it's not just 1 pair of dominant/recessive.. but many more that interact to produce any one persons eye colour.

I didn't see this mentioned in any other posts so I that could mean I've got it all wrong.
by cissehands rate this post as useful

... 2010/1/3 20:55
Yes cissehands, I remember learning the same thing in my Biology class. We were taught that you should think of eye colour as a spectrum rather than only having a few options determined by one gene from each parent.
by AusEz rate this post as useful

genes 2010/1/6 06:37
blue eyes are recessive. you have to have the gene on both sides for it to show up, normally.
by amber carey (guest) rate this post as useful

my Eyes 2010/1/21 22:36
In my family, all of my Mothers family have really DARK BROWN hair and DARK BROWN eyes, but my Dads family all have LIGHT hair (in the case of my cousins and my Uncle, BLONDE) and BLUE eyes, yet both my brothers and my self have BLUE eyes, and BROWN hair.

My older brother has light blue eyes flecked with gold and he has the blonde-brown hair colouring of my Dad.

While
My younger brother has navy blue eyes with dark green and the darker hair colouring of my Mum.

I have bright blue eyes flecked with black and my hair is really dark hair, with blonde and red highlights, a complete mixture of both.

I think this means that despite how dark my mothers family are, they have the recessive light gene, otherwise my cousins colouring(given that their mother is Indian) aswel as our own would be impossible.
by Hami (guest) rate this post as useful

hmmm 2010/2/24 04:49
well ye ive seen this too. it is possible. it depends if the western parents genes are stronger than the japanese parents genes. my dads(british) genes are very strong and so i used to be very pale and had grey eyes. now im tanned and have greeny amber eyes. most japanese mistake me for being fully western, when i am fully half and approach me in english(i hate this).
also, completely off topic, my mum said it is very for two half japanese to marry - is this true?
by Half Henry (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks guys! 2010/3/26 03:09
Wow, I'm the one who started this thread initially back in 2006, and I almost forgot about it until I googled "blue eyed half asian" and found it again. :) Glad to know that my question has stimulated such interesting discussion!

I was dating a Japanese guy at the time I wrote this question (I'm Chinese-American), but I've since broken up with him and am now seriously dating a white guy. He has blond hair and pale blue/gray eyes. I am curious about how our children will turn out!

I don't think green eyes are uncommon in half-white, half-Asian children. One of my friends who has a white dad and Chinese mom actually has green eyes and brown hair.

Now that this question has become personally relevant, I'll be checking in again on occasion to read the feedback! :)
by angela (guest) rate this post as useful

Thai-girl with golden/hazel brown eyes . 2010/4/6 10:55
Hello,I was adopted from Thailand by Swedish parents and I have black hair with a brown tint in it and golden-brown/hazel eyes with golden tints in them.I have pale/olive skin.My birth-mum was from northern Thailand and my birth-dad I know nothing about,
by Annika (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 3 of 5: Posts 41 - 60 of 93
prev
1 2 3 4 5
next

reply to this thread