Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 4 of 20: Posts 61 - 80 of 395
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 20
next

.... 2011/3/19 13:34
Are you still planning on going: probably
Original travel dates: 1st april-4april
Have you had to reschedule & to when: no.
What areas: Tokyo, Shinjuku, Shibuya, Ginza, Harajuku, Tokyo disney
Concerns you have/had: Radiation
Benefits of still going: Refreshment! i'm so stressful at my country
Other key decision factors: spend time with my family
If you're undecided, when will you decide:
Where will you be updating us of your time, if at all:

by devitad rate this post as useful

Thanks Uji & Momel 2011/3/19 14:45
I thought the reports about people leaving Tokyo were sensationalised as the TV stations kept on showing the same people boarding trains over and over!! It really is horrendous reporting. Even today, the Sydney Morning Herald has misreported the Federal Government's advise to not travel to the affected parts of Japan and have said that Australians have been told to 'not travel to Japan'. There is no media outlet in Australia that is giving factual information.
We have based our decision to still travel on the 28th on facts and are happy with this decision.
Thank you both for you advice.
by Emily (guest) rate this post as useful

Still going 2011/3/19 15:10
Due in Tokyo late April, and despite some earlier concerns I wouldn't miss it for the world :)
by Simmo29 rate this post as useful

Still going as of now 2011/3/19 15:25
Are you still planning on going: YES
Original travel dates: 4th - 21st April
Have you had to reschedule & to when: None as of yet
What areas: Fukuoka, Nagasaki, Nagoya, Osaka, Tokyo, Kyoto, Matsumoto, Mt Fuji, Hiroshima, Kanazawa, Miyajima, Kobe, Aomori, Hakodate, Sapporo (North by domestic Flight) etc
Concerns you have/had: Not really apart from the radiation developments (little to be honest)
Benefits of still going: Friends, meet new people, Cherry Blossoms, supporting Japan.
Other key decision factors: GF up in Aomori and getting the chance to finally visit North of Japan for once.
If you're undecided, when will you decide: 30th March.
Where will you be updating us of your time, if at all: If i get time, then yes.
by SSLM26 rate this post as useful

Emily 2011/3/19 17:01
@Emily
You Welcome! Have fun :)
by Momel rate this post as useful

Still going? 2011/3/19 21:39
The trip is still on the card unless the nuclear situation gets out of hand in the next couple of days. My wife has been working hard for the past six months to plan this trip just to be at Kyoto (April10-18) simply to view the cherry blossom during this spring and many more. Will be a great disappointment if we choose to back out at this moment.

by YL Tay (guest) rate this post as useful

Probably, but traveling in July 2011/3/20 00:19
I'm so glad I found this forum. I have been planning my trip for more than year now, saving for the last three and dreaming of seeing Japan since I tasted my first sushi 30 years ago. I am planning a four-week trip in July and August. I know that's a long way off, but I am concerned still:

Are you still planning on going:
Original travel dates:July-August
Have you had to reschedule & to when: no, still going
What areas: all over!
Concerns you have/had: visiting a crisis instead of a country, radiation, $ to Yen exchange,
Benefits of still going: Excellent timing. If I delay it may be two or more years before I can take this month again.
Other key decision factors:transportation and power, esp. in the summer when demands on electricity are (I imagine) very high
If you're undecided, when will you decide: I had planned to buy my plane ticket in April. I may wait a bit.
Where will you be updating us of your time, if at all: I'll check back in here
by michelle415 (guest) rate this post as useful

Cancelled.. 2011/3/20 02:05
Decided to cancel my trip, but will be planning to visit Japan next spring..
by Zixap rate this post as useful

Trying to get there! 2011/3/20 06:31
Still going - YES! 1-15 April
(only if Australia lifts the DO NOT TRAVEL warning - hoping they do this by March 28 when my travel insurance will update on cover.)
by DebrobAdelaide (guest) rate this post as useful

Looking good 2011/3/20 07:20
hey it's looking good, even the level alert being raised, did not mean that it would spread beyond the original 30km. UK and USA still say for it's citizens to stay 80km which is still not as far as TOkyo.. Check out the latest:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12789749

"The worst-case scenario would be where you have the fission products in stored canisters or in the reactors being released," said Professor Malcolm Sperrin, director of medical physics and clinical engineering at Royal Berkshire Hospital, UK.

"Radiation levels would then be very high around the plant, which is not to say they'd reach the general public.

"And we're definitely not in the situation where we're going to see another Chernobyl - that possibility has long gone."

Unfortunately a lot of attractions are still closed but they are up for review around Monday of next week. Then I can do some more definitive planning of how long we'll spend in Tokyo and Kyoto.

As of now me and my travel companion are set to go to Japan without qualms now. We just have to battle the panick of our friends and coworkers who are still thinking the most drastic thing possible.
by Momel rate this post as useful

Battle the panicking friends. 2011/3/20 10:01
I ended up telling everyone I canceled my trip, just to stop all of their annoying negativity.

I will now be able to make my own decision, and they won't know until I'm boarding the plane.

Only my close family knows the truth, and they're supportive.
by OhhSoAlyse rate this post as useful

@ Alyse 2011/3/20 10:05
Good on you, it's your choice to make after all!
by jochembakker (guest) rate this post as useful

Good for you, Alyse. 2011/3/20 10:51
I'm in the same situation as you. While I have my family and friends convinced that I won't die a horrible, radioactive death while I'm over there, my co-workers and regular customers are pretty sure I'm going to be coming back from Japan glowing green. One of them even said to me, and I quote "I know how bad it is over there, my husband is a power engineer and knows about radiation."

O RLY?

Anyways, let the haters hate. At the end of the day, it's your choice. As for me, the only thing that will prevent me from going is if the airports start turning away people for health and safety reasons.
by Soris rate this post as useful

@momel and others 2011/3/20 19:46
I collected all sources of information I partly found because of all your hard work. Thank you very much! I have 20 pages now which should convince my school it's safe for me to go to Nagoya.
Reading the previous post from ohhsoalyse and soris I almost share the same thoughts. It's sad if I would go without their support, but on the other hand I'm too tired to bother anymore.
by estheryana rate this post as useful

YA RLY 2011/3/20 20:58
Soris, I hate people who think that just because their husband is a "power engineer" that makes them a power engineer, too. xD Have fun on your trip! I'm in the same mode of thinking: if they aren't turning tourists away, then I am still going!

Jochembakker, thanks. :)

Estheryana, while it is sad to go without the support of my coworkers, I can still go with the support of my closest family and friends. Only a handful of people know that I have not yet decided to cancel my trip.
by OhhSoAlyse rate this post as useful

still going 2011/3/20 22:43
Thanks to all your answer guys. I have finally made up my mind. Coworker are all very negative about me going there, which is very fustrating to hear everyday '' If I were you I wouldn't go.'' '' Oh yell you can't go with all that radiation, you will come back with a third eye and 3 arms''. But since there not me. I decided I will GO, since I REALLY doubt (unless the situation at the nuclear plant worsen) I will comme back with 3 arms. So

Are you still planning on going:YES!!
Original travel dates:24 april to 24 may
Have you had to reschedule & to when:No
What areas:Osaka, Kyoto, Nara, Tokyo, Nikko, Okinawa
Concerns you have/had:Radiation, and people mood being depressed
Benefits of still going:Experience of once in a life time and fear that if I don't go Now I will never have the chance to go again(with work and all)
Other key decision factors:Dream about that trip for 7 years.
If you're undecided, when will you decide:Keeping me up to date with the situation at the nuclear plant, if nothing worsen, I'm decided
Where will you be updating us of your time, if at all:I will try to find some time to give you news.
by Sophie (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2011/3/20 23:06
Are you still planning on going: undecided, probably not going
Original travel dates: 7/28 - 8/16
Have you had to reschedule & to when: rescheduling not possible
What areas: mainly Tohoku and Tokyo
Concerns you have/had: radiation
Benefits of still going: Obon festivities
Other key decision factors: availability of hotel room in Akita (Kanto matsuri)
If you're undecided, when will you decide: depends on Fukushima
by Tokaido 2007 rate this post as useful

Not decide yet 2011/3/21 03:48
Are you still planning on going: Not sure
Original travel dates: 4/7-4/26 (arriving at Narita on 4/8)
Have you had to reschedule & to when: Not yet
What areas: Tokyo, kyoto, Osaka, Mount Koya, Hiroshima, Kagoshima, Takayama, Nikko, Kamukara, Fuji Five Likes
Concerns you have/had: they don't need foreigners eating up their food supply, aftershocks, being looked down on for going, less of an experience due to the inconveniences.
Benefits of still going: Not having to wait another year for cherry blossoms.
Other key decision factors: What will come of the nuclear situation? Will the lack of timely trains/subways ruin our days' plans?
If you're undecided, when will you decide: Wait more on week (till 27 march)
Where will you be updating us of your time, if at all: On this forums
by alpol rate this post as useful

undecided 2011/3/21 11:32
Are you still planning on going: Undecided (Maybe yes)
Original travel dates: March 31
Have you had to reschedule & to when: April 14
What areas: Land in Tokyo, Bus to Akita
Concerns you have/had: Radiation, Food shortage
Benefits of still going: Japanese education, making new friends, experiencing Japanese culture, Cherry Blossoms
Other key decision factors: If the improvements in Nuclear situation will continue, if parents still allow me to
If you're undecided, when will you decide:March 26
Where will you be updating us of your time, if at all:Here :)
by lastmockingbird rate this post as useful

what to do 2011/3/21 15:08
Are you still planning on going: undecided, was going to be a group of 3. 2 people pulled out leaving me alone to travel. Not sure if that would be the same or as fun....
Original travel dates: 07/04~27/04
Have you had to reschedule & to when: no.
What areas: Tokyo and Okinawa
Concerns you have/had: Radiation and blackouts
Benefits of still going: Need the holiday. Fulfill my yearly holiday trip to Japan.
Other key decision factors: Meet up with some friends in Japan. Never been to Okinawa before
If you're undecided, when will you decide: If I can get someone to go with me.
Where will you be updating us of your time, if at all: Probably in this thread.
by chopob0 rate this post as useful

Page 4 of 20: Posts 61 - 80 of 395
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 20
next

reply to this thread