Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 4 of 5: Posts 61 - 80 of 98
prev
1 2 3 4 5
next

using another verb 2004/11/2 18:22
thanks for your quick replay
can i use ukagau instead of okikisuru ahile talking humbly.
by ramya rate this post as useful

about の 2004/11/4 11:30
あのひとは ほんとうに( )のですか

1)がくせい 2)がくせいだ 3)がくせいな 4)がくせいと

for what reson in the above they give the answer as 3 is there any rule befor no the na adjective have to take na at the end .please give me your idea about it.

re 2004/11/4 21:33
Please concider witout なの
あのひとは ほんとうに がくせい ですか
Is that person really a student?

When u have any doubt, u add "I wonder", don't you?
In japanese, we add "なの"

あのひとは ほんとうに がくせい なの ですか
I wonder if that person is really a student.

by HATCH rate this post as useful

re 2004/11/4 21:48
Please post a new question as new article.
I think it is difficult to understand whether (an) answer(s) have been posted already or not.
by HATCH rate this post as useful

to HATCH 2004/11/4 22:08
i too want create new questions and at first i posted 2 questions like that before 4 days itself but still they are not appearing i dont know the reason i just clik the ask question and put my message in that .

when i send mail to admin he replaie it. in that he said that several hours will take to appear the question .

but iam in away to clear my doubts as early as possible because iam preparing for jlpt3 .

if i send replay post then it get posted immediatly so i followed this way.

any how sorry for the trouble.

An attempt to answer 2004/11/4 22:26
In the same sentence pattern, "... ???? no desuka" (= Is it really that ????), "...no desuka" is used for emphasis, I'd say.
I'm listing the same patten as follows, first with a sentence WITHOUT the "...no desuka," then followed by another one with the same meaning using that phrase. Note how the verb, adjective, or "desu/da" changes their forms.

With a verb:
(It is really going to shine = be sunny = tomorrow?)
- Ashita wa hontouni haremasu ka.
- Ashita wa hontouni hareru no desuka.

With a i-adjective:
(Is "youkan" - sweet bean cake - really tasty?)
- Youkan wa hontouni oishii desuka.
- Youkan wa hontouni oishii no desuka.

With a na- adjective:
(Is. Mt. Fuji really beautiful?)
- Fuji-san wa hontouni kirei desuka.
- Fuji-san wa hontouni kireina no desuka.

With a noun + desu/da
(Is that person really an American?)
- Ano hito wa hontouni Amerika-jin desuka.
- Ano hito wa hontouni Amerika-jin na no desuka.

You will see that in case of "na- adjective" and "da/desu," the "na" is there... actually the "desu/da" portion changes its form to "na." In case of "i-adjective," the last "i" already serves the same function as "na," so you do not change the form. Please compare those sentences and see if this helps at all..

by AK rate this post as useful

What does "made" mean in this context? 2004/11/7 10:20
あには まいにち くらくなる ( )テニスを します。
A. しか B. など C. だけ D. まで
Ans: D. まで
Does this mean "Everyday my brother plays tennis WHEN he gets depressed" or "Everyday my brother plays tennis UNTIL he gets depressed"?
by Mark rate this post as useful

... 2004/11/7 10:26
This means "until it gets dark" meaning "until late in the afternoon."

Oh, I see 2004/11/7 18:48
I don't know why I thought kuraku was depressed. Now it makes sense.
Thanks.

Two possible answers 2004/11/9 00:02
この へんで いちばん たかい たてものは ( )ですか。
A. どこ B. どれ C. だれ D. どう
Ans. B. どれ
Although the given answer is "B. どれ" which I fully understand, but I don't understand why the answer cannot be "A. どこ"
i.e. On this side, where is the tallest building?

an attempt 2004/11/9 09:06
この へんで いちばん たかい たてものは ( )ですか。
A. どこ B. どれ C. だれ D. どう
Ans. B. どれ
the answer is only dore .
doko cannot be applicable.
the meaning of the sentence is;
in this area which one is tallest building(correct)
see in case of doko the meaning will be
in this area where is the tallest building(wrong)
because ichiban means among certain things which is most
i think it will help u

??? 2004/11/9 10:56
Thank you for your attempt, ramya, but my original question remains unanswered. Also, if I want to ask "where is the tallest building in this area?" I don't see why I can't use ichiban takai in the question.

answer 2004/11/9 21:27
when you're in place, and you see a particular side of the road with the buildings and ask which/where is the tallest building, if you'd ask where is the tallest building it isn't very 'exact' in a sense because you know where it is, like around the area, but WHICH is the tallest building... bleh ...

like in english, when i give you a few buildings to choose from, i'd ask WHICH is the tallest building, and not where right?
its sort of like a either this? this? or that? sort of thing, where is this building is when you know what you are going to find but don't know where it is, but in this case you know where it is... my explanatory skills are lousy! ;_;
by ノヴィックス rate this post as useful

ahh another idea 2004/11/9 22:23
if you asked where is the tallest building, it could be like in this picture, in that picture? sorta thing ...
if you asked which is the tallest building you'd be given a choice from where to choose from! ^-^
頑張りなさいね〜☆
by ノヴィックス rate this post as useful

Still ??? 2004/11/9 23:45
Thank you for your attempt. However, it again you are only explaining why "dore" is correct, which I already know. But you still don't explain why "doko" is incorrect.
First of all, let me make this perfectly clear. To say "Where is the tallest building?" is 100% grammatically correct and can make perfect sense. When you said:
"like in english, when i give you a few buildings to choose from, i'd ask WHICH is the tallest building, and not where right?"
this shows you don't understand my question. In your example, I would use "Which" because I want to know whichone and I expect the answer to be the name of the building. But I would not use "which" if I don't want to know the name of the building, I just want to know "where" because I want to know the location so I can go there.
So I must repeat my question once again: Why can't I ask: "この へんで いちばん たかい たてものは (どこ)ですか。

An attempt 2004/11/13 16:08
Try to think in terms of exactly what you want to ask in the sentence.

- If you know that XYZ building is the tallest in Tokyo, and you want to find it, then you can say "doko desu ka," because you are asking about the location (= "where") of something that you know is there.

- But if you don't know which building is the tallest, (you are looking for "a" building that happens to be the tallest) so you want to know WHICH ONE is the tallest, then the only logical choice would be "dore" = identification.

And the original sentence in your question, "kono hen de ichiban takai tatemono wa ..." suggests that the speaker is looking for "a" building that is the tallest around here (= the speaker does not know which one it is), so in this case "dore" would be the right answer.

Thank you 2004/11/13 16:30
At last. AK, I have been waiting for your answer for a few days.
As I said, I understand why the answer should be "dore" but I also wanted to know why "doko" is incorrect because I don't think it is incorrect.
Since there is no context in the question, my argument was that both can be correct. Thank you for confirming this. Of course, if this is really a question in an exam, I will know to choose "dore" because it seems more likely. However, I think a good question should not have more than one possible answer.
I am also a teacher and I always warn my colleagues about this and when I review their draft questions for examinations I often instruct them to amend their questions in cases like this.

te imasu and te arimasu 2004/11/15 11:57
I got this in 1 of the past papers..

Q.そこの つくえに ボールペンが
Choices:1. おきます 2.おきて あります  3.おいて います  4.おいて あります。

Answer: 4.おいて あります。

My question is : can we not say そこの つくえに ボールペンが おいて います - meaning the ballpen is on the table there, instead of the given answer そこの つくえに ボールペンが おいて あります- which i think means the ballpen has been kept on the table there.

I get really confused of choosing between imasu and arimasu for a present progressive state..

can someone help?

by Baishakhi rate this post as useful

... 2004/11/15 19:51
"okimasu/oku" means "to place," so "oite imasu" would be "(someone) is in the act of placing (something)." The subject of the sentence would have to be a PERSON, not the thing that is placed there. It is impossible for the PEN to place something.

In this case, what you want to say is that "the pen is on the table" = "pen HAS BEEN PLACED (by someone) on the table," the only possibility is "oite ariimasu."

Compare:
Watashi wa tomodachi ni tegami wo kaite imasu. = I am writing a letter to a friend. (present progressive)

Ashita tomodachi ni okuru tegami wa mou kaite arimasu. = The letter that I will send to a friend tomorrow has been written already (I have already written the letter...).

thank you 2004/11/16 07:58
thanks AK. The 2 sentences you included at the end help clear things up a lot.. Let me see if I can apply this to other sentences I come across. Else will get back..
by baishakhi rate this post as useful

Page 4 of 5: Posts 61 - 80 of 98
prev
1 2 3 4 5
next

reply to this thread