There are more than a thousand Fuji Sengen shrines across Japan, dedicated to Princess Konohanasakuya, the Shinto deity associated with Mount Fuji. Fujiyoshida Sengen Shrine, formally known as Kitaguchi Hongū Fuji Sengen Jinja (北口本宮冨士浅間神社, "North Entrance Fuji Sengen Shrine"), is the main Sengen Shrine on the north side of the mountain. The head shrine of them all is the Fujisan Hongu Sengen Taisha on the opposite side of the mountain in Fujinomiya.
Fujiyoshida Sengen Shrine stands in a dense forest and is set off from the road by a long approach lined by stone lanterns and shaded by tall cedar trees. The shrine's red painted buildings include a main hall dating from 1615, a dancing stage and a few auxiliary buildings.
In the past, Fujiyoshida's Sengen Shrine used to be the common starting point for climbing Mount Fuji from the north. The trailhead is still located directly behind the right side of the shrine's main hall, and some traditionalist hikers still begin their ascent with a prayer at the shrine before passing through the wooden torii gate in the back of the shrine grounds.
These days, however, most climbers forego the shrine and start their ascent from Fuji Subaru Line 5th Station halfway up the mountain. This effectively halves the distance to the summit and shortens the climb by more than five hours.