Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

daily life in Meiji Japan 2013/2/21 09:16
Hello,

I'm a writer working on a novel set in Meiji Japan (more specifically mid 1870s-1880s) and I'm having trouble finding resources documenting daily life in the period. I've found lots of overviews of the government changes and infrastructure changes (rail, post, things of that nature) but am looking for things like diaries (particularly those of お雇い外国人/foreigners visiting Japan during the period or of Japanese women), information on what resources the average house would have, the most common names, etc.

If anyone can suggest any websites or books I would appreciate it! English is preferred but Japanese references are fine as well.

Thanks in advance! I hope there are some history buffs on here who can steer me in the right direction!
by MK (guest)  

Re: daily life in Meiji Japan 2013/2/21 16:47
Lafcadio Hearn (aka Koizumi Yakumo) was an English teacher in Matsue and Kumamoto during the Meiji era and wrote highly detailed accounts of his travels and daily life--as well as the lives of the people around him. I suggest "Glimpes of Unfamiliar Japan" for the kinds of descriptions you're looking for. If you have a Kindle, it should be free.
by Buri0110 rate this post as useful

Re: daily life in Meiji Japan 2013/2/21 17:40
MK,

Look up Isabella Bird. Her writings from Japan during the late 19th century are fascinatingly detailed, and should be just what you are looking for. They are all available free on Project Gutenberg.
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: daily life in Meiji Japan 2013/2/22 06:52
Thank you very much for your suggestions!
by MK (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread