Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Translate this tattoo 2013/2/23 00:47
A friend of mine recently got a tattoo, but she said she wasn't sure if the translation was correct (eek!).
I don't know much about Japanese, so I thought I'd ask here...

What does it mean (if anything)?
And is it written correctly?

http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/481611_496885010351189_1262474569_n.jpg
by Tania (guest)  

Re: Translate this tattoo 2013/2/23 09:44
It means "My Family is my Everything"
by MAROGAO rate this post as useful

Re: Translate this tattoo 2013/2/23 09:59
It's 2 phrases without a punctuation like "My FAMILYMy everything".
Not so funny but a bit illegible.
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: Translate this tattoo 2013/2/28 15:28
Ah, ok. It's good to hear that it's not just something she randomly picked out of a book, and that it does have meaning. I was a bit iffy about the way it was written (because the characters seemed a bit squashed) but didn't have the heart to tell her it might be wrong.

So I'm glad it turned out to be a (mostly) correct tattoo. :)
by Tania (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Translate this tattoo 2013/2/28 16:02
A question for native Japanese speakers: would you consider this to be an English expression translated directly into Japanese, or is it a proper Japanese expression that Japanese people would use regularly?
by Jon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Translate this tattoo 2013/2/28 16:28
Definitely an English expression translated directly into Japanese.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Translate this tattoo 2013/3/1 23:55
Oh, dear. This looks like she was stamped with a Japanese typewriter. Very charmingly foreign-looking from a Japanese point of view. Foreign Japanese tattoos are always so entertaining. It does make sense, though.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Translate this tattoo 2013/3/2 12:43
by Kyle S (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Translate this tattoo 2013/3/2 12:51
Kyle S,
家族誉

I guess it is a strung-up 家族 誉, "family" and "honor."

But there is no such single word in Japanese, and I'm sorry to say but the font looks like... the tatooist just looked at the shape of the kanji and copied it, without knowing how the individual strokes in kanji work.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Translate this tattoo 2013/3/2 23:36
Kyle S,

I agree with AK, but since all three characters are kanji, originally Chinese characters, there is a possibility that this is not Japanese and could be Chinese or perhaps even Korean or other languages.

As for the font, I can say that it has a more artistic twist compared to the OP's. But..... yeah, the tattooist did miss one part of what we call the "ukanmuri."
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread