Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Attire For Japan Late March- Mid April 2013/2/27 06:33
I will be visiting Japan from March 21 - April 17. I'm trying to pack light and don't want to pack anything that will add weight to my luggage. I want to know if I could wear my hoodie for my duration there or is a wool coat really needed. I didn't want to bring the coat, and the temperature really does not call for it. Thank you for your time.
by McDowell518  

Re: Attire For Japan Late March- Mid April 2013/2/27 13:17
It depends where you are going. We froze in Tokyo and Miyajima and Nikko in late March, but it got pretty mild at the beginning of April. A hoodie wouldn't cut it, I don't think.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Attire For Japan Late March- Mid April 2013/2/27 13:58
Thank you for your reply. I will be in Tokyo until March 31. Then Hiroshima, Osaka, Kyoto... And I didn't want to freeze my buns off, nor did I want some huge coat and roast. I'll have to find a happy medium.
by McDowell518 rate this post as useful

Re: Attire For Japan Late March- Mid April 2013/2/27 16:30
We have been 3 times now at that time of year.
Each time, we have had relatively cool to pleasantly mild weather, with one or two VERY wet days, and one year 2 days of mid-high 20C's in Tokyo: we boiled in our jeans, and got sunburnt! But that was apparently unusual.
Layers are the go: singlet, shirt (T-or Polo-or long sleeved that can be rolled up) and then an outer layer. And exceptionally comfortable walking shoes, preferably Gortex, and easily removed for temples and tatami etc: elastic laces etc or other easy system, and decent socks, as they will be on show a lot.....
I actually think a fleece hoodie would be enough, with a good waterproof jacket as well (NOT Just a spray jacket) that can double as your final warm layer.
It also depends what you are doing: we walk heaps, so get quite warm doing that, hence a day pack for all the layers not needed at that point.
But we start the day fully clad, and I always have a light cotton scarf and a cap as well, and turf them into the day pack when needed
Also, trains and hotels and shops etc are all VERY well heated.
For Koyasan, all bets are off...its at a higher elevation, so its COLD, especially Okunoin.
Good luck!!

by fmj rate this post as useful

Re: Attire For Japan Late March- Mid April 2013/2/28 06:10
Thank you for your input. Being from Louisiana, we don't get really cold here. So I'm a bit afraid I'd freeze there without the right coat. So I'll get something that's water resistant as well. And I live for a hood on my coats so that will come in handy as well. Just not trying to be too bulky.

Re: Attire For Japan Late March- Mid April 2013/2/28 06:39
If you look at average temps, it can warm up quite a bit between the beginning and the end of your trip - http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2273.html . Since your from a warm place and I'm used to cold, you might do something similar to what I brought for early February: no sweaters, only t-shirts. Wore a water-proof Columbia coat that has a removable liner (looks like a sweatshirt). Both thwe coat and inner lining zip down - a nice feature considering when I walked into any building I would immediately get hot.
by ChicagoMike rate this post as useful

Re: Attire For Japan Late March- Mid April 2013/2/28 06:47
I was just looking at coats like that. They have a liner and then a waterproof jacket as well. So that if one day is warm I can wear one or the other. Or if its freezing I can bundle up with both. :-)

Re: Attire For Japan Late March- Mid April 2013/2/28 08:01
Uniqlo in japan has cheap options for men and women. Most of it is very lightweight as well
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread