Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese morphemes 2013/3/4 00:26
Hello everyone! I've been stuck on one of my linguistics exercises for a long time now, cause basically Japenese is irrelevant to mu studies, but one of my classes actually has to do with a lot of different languages (linguistics).
Anyway, I would be so grateful if somebody actually helped me with morphemes.
The task is to divide the words into morphemes (based on the data we have). I will also provide my assumptions and I will mark them with '*' sign.

katai - 'hard' - *[kata-i]
katameru - 'harden [something]' - *[kata-me-ru]
katameta - 'hardened [something]' - *[kata-me-ta]

kiyoi - 'pure' - *[kiyo-i]
kiyomeru - 'purify [something]' - *[kiyo-me-ru]
kiyometa - 'purified [something]'- *[kiyo-me-ta]

hiroi - 'wide' - *[hiro-i]
hiromeru - 'widen [something]' - *[hiro-me-ru]
hirometa - 'widened [something]' - *[hiro-me-ta]

Can somebody tell me am I right with my assumptions? Also, based on the data, can somebody tell me if I'm right with assuming that '-ru' is a morpheme which is a nontense aspect [I mean, that it's 'an infinitive]. Then '-ta' means past time aspect, and that '-me-' is an indication of [something]? And the morpheme '-i' - is it always included in words which are adjectives?

I would be very grateful if someone actually told me whether I'm right or not.
by studentinneed (guest)  

Re: Japanese morphemes 2013/3/4 09:13
The breakdown into morphemes is correct, though I'm not too sure about "-me-ru" (I mean the breakdown into these individual words.)

Verb form ending in "-ru" is called "dictionary form," as it is the form found in dictionaries, so in a sense it is an infinitive. However, you cannot really say so as it also serves as the present/future aspect.
And yes "-ta" is the past aspect.
"-i" ending is for (one of the two types of) adjectives. But actually this "-i" conjugates, interestingly.

"-meru" means "to make (something) (into certain condition)," but cannot be used with all adjectives consistently. And you cannot really break down "me" + "ru" and say that "me" (by itself) has that meaning.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese morphemes 2013/3/5 00:47
AK: And you cannot really break down "me" + "ru" and say that "me" (by itself) has that meaning.

I agree.

If you have learned that when a Japanese simple word or suffix has its stem and the rest they are always morphemes, logically "~meru" in this dictionary form is divided, as in your assumption, into "~" + "me" + "ru." (This way is adopted in kana-kanji conversion software for a computer to analyze Japanese words.)

However, my understanding is that a morpheme refers to a fundamental semantic unit, i.e. a unit which does not include a smaller element which can convey a certain meaning.
I feel that an adjective "katai" or a suffix "meru" in this dictionary form is not divided, because here I do not see a certain meaning in "i" or "ru."
I take S "katameta" something as S did "katameru" something, not as S did "katame" something. I consider that here a morpheme "ta" is added to the stem of "katameru," not replacing a morpheme "ru."

We have another "me," which works as a morpheme meaning {relatively} when added to a stem of an adjective.
When we say "katame" it sometimes may be a noun for a verb "katameru" but in many cases it is a combination of the stem of "katai" and the morpheme "me." For example, "tamago o katameni yuderu" means {to boil egg relatively hard}.
On the other hand, when we say "kiyome" it is always a noun for a verb "kiyomeru."

By the way, we use "kiyomeru" and "kiyome" usually for a cultural meaning. For example, "kiyome no gishiki" means {purification rite}. We do not say "te o kiyomeru" if the main purpose is to prevent us from getting infected with certain viruses, in which case we may say "te o arau" {to wash hands} or "te o shoudokusuru" {to sanitize hands}.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese morphemes 2013/3/5 07:45
omotenashi,

There are linguistic discussions on this topic, but there are linguists who classify the "-i" ending of "i-adjectives" as a morphone indicating/marking that the word is an adjective, while the part that comes before the "-i" ("taka" in this case) conveys the meaning of "high." If you think about it, "i-adjectives" ("keiyoushi" in Japanese, as against "keiyou doushi") conjugate themselves, as "taka-i", "taka-kunai," "taka-katta," and "taka-kunakatta."

But actually I am not that fully familiar with the different schools of thought here to discuss this topic more, or to compare, for example, Japanese grammar vs. English grammar.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread