Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Raising a kid in Japan or England 2013/3/11 06:48
As the title suggests, the question is maybe broad but I am curious that if you were given a choice, where would you give birth and raise a kid and why? Japan or England.
by Jackee5  

Re: Raising a kid in Japan or England 2013/3/12 06:26
Reading your other thread, I hope you are just doing casual analysis. Anyway, there is no right answer, but I want to give you a few things to think about.

1) Which country will have better opportunities in the future (for your child)?
2) How will you support the family if you move to a foreign country?

Perhaps being flexible to where you live will be the best approach, but if you don't speak Japanese it will be a challenge starting a life there.
by ChicagoMike rate this post as useful

Re: Raising a kid in Japan or England 2013/3/12 12:25
Your question is so broad that an Airbus A380 can fly right through.
It helps if you tabulate the pros and cons of UK environment in raising a kid in UK (I assume you are from UK), then respondents can offer suggestions and counterpoints.

By virtue of English instruction, your kid has better mobility into other EU countries and USA.
That may be the biggest + factor.
Moreover mastering the Japanese language is not a walk in Hyde Park in London.

Apparently Japan educational system focuses on rote memorisation so that is a minus factor.
by epsilon8 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Raising a kid in Japan or England 2013/3/12 12:38
Critical thinking is lacking in Japanese education along with Show & Tell or think and talk at the same time. Besides, if you have to send to bi-lingual school, the cost will be prohibitive unless paid by your employer in the work contract.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Raising a kid in Japan or England 2013/3/13 08:03
One is hardly given a choice about where to raise a child.
If the mother is living and working in North America, or in France, Italy, Germany etc. etc. she couldn't move to Japan or the UK that easily!

Staying in a foreign country long term is not easy at all. One needs a visa, and either a job or be able to support oneself and the child financially ...

Then there is the question of culture.
The UK culture is quite different from the US culture for example..

I am originally from continental Europe and, while the Japanese language is a big problem, I feel more at home in Japan than in the US, as the Europeans and the Japanese do many things in a similar way.

If one gets a full time job abroad for X years then one go where the job is..so no much choice.
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Raising a kid in Japan or England 2013/3/13 12:06
I'd say Japan in the early years where everything is all lovely fun and games and there's no pressure on kids to stop being kids but then England once they enter their teenage years and in Japan life becomes all about 24/7 studying for rote memorisation tests, sleep being a hobby, etc...
by takeda's ghost (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Raising a kid in Japan or England 2013/3/13 12:46
The UK culture is quite different from the US culture for example..
I'm suprised to hear your assessment.
George Bernard Shaw once said :'' US and UK are divided by a common language''
I have read about UK citizens moving to US especially Florida and fit in like fish to water.

... as the Europeans and the Japanese do many things in a similar way.

I think the Chinese and Japanese have more in common that European and Japanese.
by epsilon8i (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Raising a kid in Japan or England 2013/3/14 13:34
epsilon8i, I am not an expert, but I am quite familiar with the UK, USA and Japan.

I have both UK (Caucasians ) colleagues and mainland Chinese colleagues in North America (we have worked together for over 25 years) and have friends in North America that were born in Japan. Not just a few people from each nationality but at least a dozen, coming from different areas in their native countries.

So I know that people in the UK and USA have different cultures, and so do the Japanese and the Chinese.

I am talking about the day to day culture, not what happened in history 300 years ago (UK/USA) or over 1000 years ago (Japan/China).

What happened to the original poster?
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread