Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Smart Phones use in Japan 2013/3/12 00:15
Is it possible and recommended to buy a local SIM for an IPhone 4, for a 2 week trip in Japan? What is the price approx. and where can I buy it.(We startin Kyoto).
Thanks, Amir
by Amir (guest)  

Re: Smart Phones use in Japan 2013/3/12 10:57
Yes, but it depends on what services you need. They come in voice only , data only, and voice+data. Both prepaid and rental options are available.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Smart Phones use in Japan 2013/3/22 11:31
I'm interested in this too. Would you be able to direct to towards more information? I.e. rates and where to buy? Thanks!
by vo1ts rate this post as useful

Re: Smart Phones use in Japan 2013/4/4 11:49
Sure, but can you post what your needs are, because there are a lot of options.

Re: Smart Phones use in Japan 2013/4/5 14:47
Hi! I am having the same question. I'm gonna need data+voice plan (for overseas calls and texts). Does anyone have more info about the rates (for both prepaid and rental)and where to get those in Tokyo? I will be using it for 2 weeks. Thanks in advance! :)
by Chitten rate this post as useful

Re: Smart Phones use in Japan 2013/4/7 11:48
To the best of my knowledge, you cannot buy a voice capable SIM card without a residence card. So for temporary visitors there's only the option of either renting a SIM card (with or without phone) or to buy or rent a data-only card. To my knowledge there are data-only prepaid cards for around 3k to 4k yen a month.
Even for residents, to the best of my knowledge, there are no prepaid voice-capable offers on the market that include data capability. Prepaid offers (which all come bundled with simple phones) are voice + sometimes SMS + sometimes email messaging only.
In order to get a smartphone-capable voice-capable SIM (probably sold only as a bundle with a smart phone) you'll need to make a contract, and that requires you to have a Japanese bank account.
Please correct me if I got that wrong.
by gs (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Smart Phones use in Japan 2013/4/9 11:09
As the previous poster mentioned, prepaid voice+data sim cards are not available to non-residents. You can rent them however, but they are relatively expensive:

http://jcrcorp.com/mobile/mobile_rental_simcard.htm

A few comments:

To the best of my knowledge, you cannot buy a voice capable SIM card without a residence card.

Non-residents can get prepaid phones with a prepaid voice only sim cards at major Softbank outlets. These cards do not include data. Here are some of the English speaking outlets in Tokyo where people have reported getting phones.

http://mb.softbank.jp/en/customer_support/shops.html

Even for residents, to the best of my knowledge, there are no prepaid voice-capable offers on the market that include data capability.

There are, and half of b-mobile's line are voice+data prepaid sims. But you are correct in that there are not wholely prepaid offerings on the market as the voice portion of these SIMs is handled on a postpaid basis.

In order to get a smartphone-capable voice-capable SIM (probably sold only as a bundle with a smart phone) you'll need to make a contract, and that requires you to have a Japanese bank account.

Non-residents can also rent them and they are available as standalone sim cards without a handset.

reply to this thread