Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

3G access 2013/3/15 12:18
Hi people, I will be in Japan for 10 days but I will only require 3G access for my Iphone and Ipad for 3 days. I need the internet to use google map, whatsapp, viber and some other apps.

I'm wondering if there is any cheaper alternatives, like getting a Prepaid SIM card (Tourist card) at Kansai airport?

I have been browsing this forum and online alot, however the prices are really high for sim card rental or wifi device rental.

Can some kind soul out there advice me what I can do?

Appreciate it much! Thank you!
by bebegurl  

Re: 3G access 2013/3/15 14:34
If you need to use maps and utilize your GPS capabilities on your iPhone/iPad then look up some "offline maps" applications. You just pre-load the areas you will be visiting in Japan before you leave and you will have access to them without needing 3G.

It's a much cheaper alternative, and that's how I navigate new areas when I visit. The apps I use are oMaps (iPhone) and MapsWithMe (Android Tablet).

Also, I've noticed many wireless hotspots in the more populated areas so if you need to use the internet, head over to a cafe.

Good luck!
by Serkits rate this post as useful

Re: 3G access 2013/3/15 16:54
A two week sim card costs 4000 yen. That's gonna be about as cheap as it gets. If that is still to expensive then you may be able to get by with free wifi hotspots. More and more have opened up this year, so its becoming more of a viable option for those that can't afford or don't want to pay for mobile data. But the downside is that you have to be near one of the hotspots, so they take a little bit more planning and awareness to fully utilize.

See these pages for more info:
http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/english/index.html
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2279.html
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: 3G access 2013/3/16 01:12
Hi Serkits

I tried searching for Omaps using Iphone but unable to find it. The search results came out 2 other maps.

Sorry but I didn't quite get you about having the pre-loaded maps in the app first. Would you mind to explain further?

It will be my first time going to Japan. And honestly, I have a hard time confirming the train stations found on Hyperdia. Cos their train map is so complex and the station names are so small (sometimes in Romanji and sometimes in Kanji).

Is there a better way to make sure that the train pass I buy goes to all the train stations?

by bebegurl rate this post as useful

Re: 3G access 2013/3/16 01:16
Hi yllwsmrf

I clicked on your link to look at the sim cards. However I need to get it shipped to me before I reach Japan? Is there any shop that I can collect it from?

Is the sim card cheapest at b-mobile website?

Also to use WiFi in Starbucks, they require advance registration. May I know how do I do that? Via online or?

Re: 3G access 2013/3/16 08:18
Why not rent a wifi hotspot? I guess not the cheapest, but most convinient I think.

http://www.globaladvancedcomm.com/pocketwifi.html
Y4800 for 3days unlimited internet. You can use both iphone and ipad at as time. Would need 2 sims(or tethering) if you get sim cards.

I've used them on my last trip. They deliver to your hotel on a day you choose and you return it in a provided paid envelope. If you want you can drop it off at hotel reception.
by Obake (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 3G access 2013/3/17 10:31
If you use an offline map application, you simply use your phone via wifi at home and navigate to the locations you will be traveling in (some offline maps will download all of Japan for you instead). If you download them (or as I call it preload) before leaving you will be prepared as they will be saved to your phone/device.

As for rail passes, I usually get a JR Rail Pass since I travel from Tokyo to Kyoto and Osaka, it really depends on where you are planning on visiting as to what rail pass will be the best option for you.

This gives you some great information
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361.html

Here are the different kinds
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2357.html

Hyperdia is my favorite website to use to get train information. Many trains will have english announcements and for those that don't there are usually large signs that specify the name of the stop.

I must agree with Obake, if you rent a hotspot it will save you the trouble of finding wifi but it comes at a cost.

I was worried like you were when I first went to Japan, but I found that I never used wifi (unless I was in the hotel) and just utilized offline map apps, printed maps and some train time tables from hyperdia.

As long as you prepare ahead of time you should do just fine.
by Serkits rate this post as useful

Re: 3G access 2013/3/17 12:19
Hi Obake

Actually if I get a micro sim card, I will get only one and use my Ipad to ride on the Iphone's hotspot.

But I don't know if the Japan sim cards will work on both my devices as I read somewhere that you have to get them "unlocked" first?

Can someone please advice me?

Re: 3G access 2013/3/17 13:20
Hi Serkits

Thanks for the preload bit. But I'm still unable to find "Omap" in my Iphone. I wonder why.

I read your links. However I'm not sure if I should get a Kansai Thru Pass, Kansai Wide Pass or JR West Rail Pass? I checked with a local agent and she said I should get both a Kansai Thru and Kansai Wide Pass. However, they seem to overlap each other.

I only require the pass for a period of 3 days, at most 4 only. I know with Kansai Thru Pass, I won't be able to ride on JR Trains. But how do I know the train that I'm gonna board falls under which company?

This is taking a huge chuck of my time and I cannot seem to get it sorted out. And my trip is just next month.

I have screenshot all my itinerary on Hyperdia. The train lines are as follow:

Ltd Express Haruka 48 (Which company?)
Kintetsu Minami-Osaka Line Semi-Exp/Yoshino Line Exp (Kintetsu Thru or Wide Pass?)
Kintetsu Gose Line (Kintetsu Thru or Wide Pass?)
JR Wakayama Line (JR West Rail Pass?)
Kintetsu Limited Exp (Kintetsu Thru or Wide Pass?)
Osaka City Subway Midosuji Line (Which company?)
JR Special Rapid Service (JR West Rail Pass?)

Appreciate your kind advice. Thank you.

Re: 3G access 2013/3/17 13:29
One more thing

For Kansai Thru Pass, does it include reserved seating? Or the seats are on "First-come-first-served" basis? Can I just sit whenever there are unoccupied seats?

How about for Kansai Wide Pass?

I know for JR Trains, they have Ordinary and Green Cars' price difference.

Re: 3G access 2013/3/18 18:20
I clicked on your link to look at the sim cards. However I need to get it shipped to me before I reach Japan? Is there any shop that I can collect it from?

Yes, it can be delivered to the airport:

http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/english/aps_top.html

Is the sim card cheapest at b-mobile website?

There are cheaper (in terms of cost/day) but the visitor sims are the cheapest available that covers a two week period.

Also to use WiFi in Starbucks, they require advance registration. May I know how do I do that? Via online or?

Online here:

http://starbucks.wi2.co.jp/pc/index_en.html

Re: 3G access 2013/3/18 18:28
But I don't know if the Japan sim cards will work on both my devices as I read somewhere that you have to get them "unlocked" first?

Yes, your iphone will need to be unlocked first. You will have to ask your carrier about that. Or jailbreak.

If your iphone can't be unlocked (or is difficult to unlock) then put the sim in your ipad (3g/4g version v3 or later) and personal hotspot to your phone instead.

Thanks for the preload bit. But I'm still unable to find "Omap" in my Iphone. I wonder why.

Omap doesn't seem to be avaialable anymore (at least not on the US store). Try searching for other "offline map" applications.

reply to this thread