Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Docomo vs Soft Bank 2013/3/20 13:29
When comparing Docomo and Soft Bank (for regular 2-year contracts), what's the main difference between the two? Who's got the better call quality, faster 3/4g, lower rates, etc.? And which one would you recommend?

If it makes any difference, I'll be using one or the other in Kyushu.

Thanks in advance!
by Amai Umeboshi  

Re: Docomo vs Soft Bank 2013/3/21 09:09
Hey,

I don't know it personally, but a friend, who lives in Japan told be (to put it in short) that SoftBank is cheaper, but Docomo has better reception.

He has SoftBank and his internet is really slow during peak hours (morning) - they even put limits on it!, and sometimes the reception is messy, but it's cheaper than Docomo.
by yuenpl rate this post as useful

Re: Docomo vs Soft Bank 2013/3/24 16:07
I see. I wonder if it differs upon region as well (reception, I mean)?

Thank you for your answer!
by Amai Umeboshi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Docomo vs Soft Bank 2013/3/25 09:54
As suggested, Softbank users can text each other free of charge at any time and can phone each other free during 1am to 9pm.

But Softbank has poor reception, and it has little to do with regions. For example, you would sit in your room talking and suddenly your line is cut off.

Also, Softbank is not necessarily cheap if you're mostly communicating with non-Softbank users.

So it depends on how you are using your phone. If you are constantly moving around while doing serious business, I would suggest you invest on using Docomo.

Meanwhile, if you're a student and a lot of your friends are Softbank users, I would suggest Softbank.

But a lot of stylistic people prefer AU.

If you already know your friends and colleagues you'll be dealing with in Japan, you should discuss with them.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Docomo vs Soft Bank 2013/3/25 12:10
DoCoMo has better service and far better reception.

Also if you're talking about smartphones, anyone can text anyone else for free.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Docomo vs Soft Bank 2013/4/4 11:48
Docomo generally has better reception but is more expensive and they don't have the iphone.

Softbank is a little cheaper and has the iphone. Their reception in Kyushu is not particularly good, and my data speeds were terrible the other day when I was travelling through there so I probably wouldn't recommend softbank if you will be living in Kyushu.

I'd also look into au as their reception tends to be on par or better than docomo in some areas and their prices similar to softbank. They also have the iphone.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Docomo vs Soft Bank 2013/4/7 00:27
Thank you for all of your responses. A couple more questions:

Does anyone know anything about emobile? I heard about it for the first time recently and am also considering that as an option.

Also, any tips for getting a cell phone without a long-term visa or residency card?
by Amai Umeboshi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Docomo vs Soft Bank 2013/4/9 11:12
Does anyone know anything about emobile?

Its a low cost option that operates on Docomo's network.

Also, any tips for getting a cell phone without a long-term visa or residency card?

Non-residents cannot enter into cellphone contracts, so the options are limited. The easiest solution would be to get a prepaid phone.

Re: Docomo vs Soft Bank 2013/4/9 11:16
Emobile is not a low cost operation that operates from the DoCoMo network (that is Bmobile)

Emobile is another carrier that specializes in data only, both 3G & 4G(LTE). It was bought out by Softbank about 6 months ago, but still operates as Emobile/Eaccess.
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Docomo vs Soft Bank 2013/4/9 11:20
The easiest option for voice only is a Softbank Prepaid phone.
It looks like you can now get these from Don Quijote (DonKi), which were offering phone, prepaid SIM & 3000yen prepaid card fro only 3980 yen. This may have been a special March deal, but it seems that they only need passport, address & telephone number. (like at Narita airport & Softbank Roppongi)

Re: Docomo vs Soft Bank 2013/4/9 14:15
I've been able to buy SoftBank prepaid phones, with just a tourist visa, at company stores in Osaka, and Tokyo Station. Previously they weren't available at the airport, but it looks like now they are. You buy the phone, plus a mandatory load card. While the web site shows lots of models, the stores I went to only had 1 or 2.

Just make sure you go to a company store, and not a franchise dealer (like a display counter in a store or mall).
by Susan Wolf (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Docomo vs Soft Bank 2013/4/9 16:17
Seems my info is a little dated. So to clarify, Emobile USED to operate their voice services on Docomo, but have since rolled out their own 3g and LTE networks. As of January 1, 2013 they were bought by Softbank where they continue to offer low cost alternatives to the big 3 carriers.

Re: Docomo vs Soft Bank 2013/4/10 08:13
I'll clarify about Emobile/Eaccess....

They operate some voice services with DoCoMo, but their primary business is still 3G/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA/4G/LTE data services.

Re: Docomo vs Soft Bank 2013/4/11 07:52
I have the same question I want a phone for calling and looking up maps on my trip. If emobile is cheaper is thata good option? The rental sims are too much. Or should I get a donki perepaid instead? Or is a softbank roppongi prepaid better?
by lisak (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Docomo vs Soft Bank 2013/4/11 16:04
I have the same question I want a phone for calling and looking up maps on my trip. If emobile is cheaper is thata good option?

Emobile is cheap, but like the other providers can't sell contract phones to non-residents. So they aren't really an option for you. If you need voice and data then you a rental sim is probably the only option.

Or should I get a donki perepaid instead? Or is a softbank roppongi prepaid better?

Softbank (the carrier) is behind the prepaids sold at Softbank Roppongi (the store) and Don Quixote (the store). So they are essentially the same. The difference is that Don Quixote sometimes has sales where you might be able to get a discount on the phone.

Re: Docomo vs Soft Bank 2013/10/10 10:16
As of October 2013 Docomo now has iPhone as well.

Also, aU's iPhone cannot do voice and data at the same time, which could be a deal breaker if you want to receive phone calls while tethering your laptop.
by shinsaku.ai (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread