Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Honorifics in Japanese 2013/3/21 21:11
Hi all, One more quick and simple question for you all and probably a silly one at that

How do I call ladies and gentlemen sir and ma`am in japanese??
by yojimbo36  

Re: Honorifics in Japanese 2013/3/22 13:04
Are you trying to write it (as in a first-time letter you write to an organization without knowing any individual's name), or are you going to say it at the beginning of a speech to an audience?
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Honorifics in Japanese 2013/3/22 13:06
How do I call ladies and gentlemen sir and ma`am in japanese??

When you call a random person? What do you say in your country when you you do not know her/his name? Maybe excuse me? Or excuse me, sir/madame? (I learned English in the 7th year of education for the first time and "Yes, sir." was the first words we must say. But after that I have never used this phrase. Also, I have never used "I have a pen" :).

In Japan we say "sumimasen". Sir would be 旦那様 dan-na-sama, ご主人 goshu-jin and madame would be 奥様 oku-sama, but if I hear sumimasen, dan-na-sama, I should think I would be ripped off :).

In other situation when you know the person, there are sooooo many ways to say. Could you clarify the situation in detail?
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Honorifics in Japanese 2013/3/22 14:06
Thank you for the quick replies and sorry I wasnt too clear.

It is literally for use in everyday general talking context very much like what Frog was saying about, Just as I have a tendency to say Excuse me sir/ma`am when I have to go through crowded places or get someones attention :)
by yojimbo36 rate this post as useful

Re: Honorifics in Japanese 2013/3/22 14:13
If you are talking about getting through a crowd, or calling on someone walking by so that you can ask them directions, the phrase to use would be "Sumimasen" (excuse me). "Danna-sama," "go-shujin," or "oku-dama" are all expressions intended to refer to your master or madam that you work for, so it is not for general use.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Honorifics in Japanese 2013/3/22 16:19
When you call at somebody's house, you can address "goshujin" and "oku-san".
"oku-sama" is very formal, if you are a salesperson or something on your business.

BTW, when you leave a tip at restaurant, probably the staff chase after you and cry "okyaku-sama!" to return your money.
kyaku(客; customer/guest)
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

reply to this thread