Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What to learn in Japanese? 2013/3/25 04:49
Hi everyone!
I learned Hiragana+Katakana. I know some basic words like some animal,fruit names,colors,numbers,hours etc. I know the tenses, I know how to say my,mine,here,there etc. Basic questions and daily conversation.
Now what to do? I want to learn the language fully... Should I learn verb conjugations first? If I should do you think that I should learn all verbs without suffix, then present tense and then past tense, or learn a verb in all conjugated ways, and go on like that??
What else can I learn except some new words?
Adjectives and what else? Which grammar topic?
I know the basic differences about formal and normal conversations, but I would like to learn more.
When should I start learning Kanji, I know some and how much do you suggest me to learn. Im planning to live in Japan in future so... I know Kanji is not that important at the moment but in the future I should learn it too.
Please help out so that I can start learning more as soon as possible. I did a lot of research and bought some books but ,please tell me websites and suggest me what to do. I have Japanese friends to practice so thats not a problem. Thanks ^_^
by larissa oz  

Re: What to learn in Japanese? 2013/3/25 13:12
I cannot quite tell from your description how much you know, but I recommend that you enroll in/study along a structured course in grammar and expressions.

I know that beginner students "can" converse with friends using only verbs in the casual form and in "-ru" and "-ta" form, but that would not get anyone far. You should get structured instructions on things like:

How to make requests: If you want to ask someone to "please come over here," for example, you would say:
- Kochira ni kite kudasai.

The structure you use is "te-form of the verb + kudasai."

The examples would get more complicated over time, so that you learn the verb forms AND expand vocabulary gradually.

Nihongo no kyokasho wo motte imasu ka?

by AK rate this post as useful

Re: What to learn in Japanese? 2013/3/26 02:01
Arigatou gozaimasu AK.
Well you are helpful. I know the kudasai strucure. It will be difficult for me to tell what I know and what I dont know. Tell me whatever you know. ^_^
Iie, kyokasho wo motte ikenai desu. I have some kind of grammar book and I have two small books for basic daily language.

I have the problem about verbs. I will be able to talk if I know the verbs, but I dont know their conjugations thats why its difficult to talk. I would like to know that is it smarter to learn this way:
First -ru forms of all verbs
Then for example learn past conjugations of all etc.
Or is it better to learn verb by verb, like first miru,mimasu (all conjugations), then ikimasu,ikite etc.
Which is better?
Thanks again, Im waiting for more answers.
by larissa oz rate this post as useful

Re: What to learn in Japanese? 2013/3/26 08:00
I don't think you need to go through verb form by verb form, or by verb by verb. As you learn the different expressions, like "making requests" (te-form + kudasai), "doing something now (te-form + imasu), "when you do something (ru-form + toki), etc., you begin to need to use those forms, and you will pick those up as you use them and familiarize yourself with the form.

Iie, kyokasho wo motte ikenai desu.
If you want to say you don't have a textbook, the way to go is "Iie, (kyokasho wa) motte imasen" or "Iie, (kyokasho wa) motte inai desu."

Structured lesson books would be helpful in gradually introducing the different expressions and the required verb forms to you :)
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: What to learn in Japanese? 2013/3/27 04:52
Arigatou, wakarimashita. I got it its better to learn phrases etc. the verbs will naturally enter into my mind like before. I will start studying then. If there are more suggestions please tell me I will be happy. Im waiting for more answers... ^_^
by larissa oz rate this post as useful

Re: What to learn in Japanese? 2013/3/29 07:27
Lang-8 is the good website for learning and practicing foreign languages for free.
http://lang-8.com/

What is Lang-8 ?
http://blog.lang-8.com/post/23919260868/tips-for-beginner

Many native japanese use this site to learn english.Always native english speaker is shortage,so you can get review easily.
by english learner (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread