Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Converting US dollars to Yen 2013/3/25 06:52
Hello!
What is the best way (cheapest) to convert US dollars to Yen in Japan?
Is it better to bring traveller checks?
Thank you very much
Adva
by Ga2013  

Re: Converting US dollars to Yen 2013/3/26 01:25
Go to a Post Office or a 7-11 and get cash from their ATM. Use your bank debit card, not a credit card.

Tell your bank and your credit card company (You need a credit card for hotels and bigger expenses) that are you going to Japan, where, for how long.
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Converting US dollars to Yen 2013/3/26 09:43
keep in mind that the rate you get at the ATM is lower than the actual exchange rate.

For example the rate for $1 USD is currently 94.19 yen, but you will probably only get ~91 yen per USD at the ATM.
by sss (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Converting US dollars to Yen 2013/3/26 17:08
Hello!

Is there any site to see what kind of rates do 7-11 ATMs and Post Office ATMs offer?
Pondering if I should change my EUROs here in my homecountry or at KIX or just withdraw the money from ATM at Japan.

The current rate my exchange company is offering is 1euro = 116 yen.
by kukko (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Converting US dollars to Yen 2013/3/27 00:52
I believe the conversion is done by your home bank, not by the withdrawal atm's bank. In any case, most people's travel budget for cash purchases is somewhat low, so I think convenience should be the biggest factor. In which case, ATM's win handily. Sometimes I take US$ cash to Okinawa as they don't have 7-11's, and the banks often take 30 minutes for an exchange transaction.
by ChicagoMike rate this post as useful

Re: Converting US dollars to Yen 2013/3/27 12:11
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Converting US dollars to Yen 2013/3/28 09:37
Amazingly, yes, bring traveler's checks! For some reason traveler's checks get a better exchange rate even than cash in Japan. You can change money at the airport, but if you're staying at at least a nice-ish hotel they can probably change money for you there as well.
by Harimogura (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread