Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Converting US dollars to Yen 2013/3/25 06:52
United States
Hello!
What is the best way (cheapest) to convert US dollars to Yen in Japan?
Is it better to bring traveller checks?
Thank you very much
Adva
by Ga2013  

Re: Converting US dollars to Yen 2013/3/26 01:25
Go to a Post Office or a 7-11 and get cash from their ATM. Use your bank debit card, not a credit card.

Tell your bank and your credit card company (You need a credit card for hotels and bigger expenses) that are you going to Japan, where, for how long.
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Converting US dollars to Yen 2013/3/26 09:43
keep in mind that the rate you get at the ATM is lower than the actual exchange rate.

For example the rate for $1 USD is currently 94.19 yen, but you will probably only get ~91 yen per USD at the ATM.
by sss (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Converting US dollars to Yen 2013/3/26 17:08
Hello!

Is there any site to see what kind of rates do 7-11 ATMs and Post Office ATMs offer?
Pondering if I should change my EUROs here in my homecountry or at KIX or just withdraw the money from ATM at Japan.

The current rate my exchange company is offering is 1euro = 116 yen.
by kukko (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Converting US dollars to Yen 2013/3/27 00:52
I believe the conversion is done by your home bank, not by the withdrawal atm's bank. In any case, most people's travel budget for cash purchases is somewhat low, so I think convenience should be the biggest factor. In which case, ATM's win handily. Sometimes I take US$ cash to Okinawa as they don't have 7-11's, and the banks often take 30 minutes for an exchange transaction.
by ChicagoMike rate this post as useful

Re: Converting US dollars to Yen 2013/3/27 12:11
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Converting US dollars to Yen 2013/3/28 09:37
Amazingly, yes, bring traveler's checks! For some reason traveler's checks get a better exchange rate even than cash in Japan. You can change money at the airport, but if you're staying at at least a nice-ish hotel they can probably change money for you there as well.
by Harimogura (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread