Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What is this, and how do I eat it? 2013/3/31 05:13
Hello,

I bought some fish from the Japanese Market in San Francisco today, but I'm not sure how I'm supposed to prepare or eat it.

Here's a photo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24690977@N05/8604313870/

Any suggestions?
Cheers,
- Bret
by Bret (guest)  

Re: What is this, and how do I eat it? 2013/3/31 10:55
It's fillets of fish (it doesn't say what fish) that has been marinated in seaweed soup stock mixed with soy sauce (so it's fully seasoned) and semi-dried. Grill it on fish grill on medium heat and enjoy.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: What is this, and how do I eat it? 2013/3/31 12:21
It looks like a mackarel.
I hope you have a good ventilation to outdoor or you will stink up the entire house or your neighbors will complain the fishy smell from grilling.
Make sure you debone well before taking a bite. Perhaps it is not worthwhile for you to buy this type of uncooked package, if you don't know what they are. Buy ready to eat sashimi/sushi/bento box/canned fish/grilled eel/etc.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What is this, and how do I eat it? 2013/3/31 22:50
Just pan-fry it to brown on both side. Do not add salt or anything before you taste it. It can be already salty enough.

It does not look like a mackerel to me, but same sort.

Usually we eat this kind of fish to go with rice and miso siru.
by JayKay (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What is this, and how do I eat it? 2013/4/1 04:46
Thanks for the responses, everyone! I'll cook it like you suggest. Hopefully it won't be too stinky. I'll open all the windows just in case. :-)
by Bret Truchan (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread