Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to eat ikameshi? 2013/4/1 00:03
On my last trip to Japan, I bought some vacuum packed ikameshi: http://i.imgur.com/8erH0Ja.jpg

However, I forgot to ask how to eat it, and since I can't read Japanese the label isn't very helpful either. I also Googled it, but while I did find numerous recipes how to make them myself, I can't find if you're supposed to eat them cold or have to heat them up somehow.

I tried it just as it is, but that way it doesn't have much taste at, basically just rather dry rice, while you hardly even taste the squid. After that, I also tried to heat it up just a bit in the microwave, but that way the squid starts to smell rather nasty, while the rice doesn't improve either.

Since it would be waste to use all I have experimenting, does someone know how to eat this? Or maybe someone can tell if there are any instructions on the label?
by WizardOfOss  

Re: How to eat ikameshi? 2013/4/1 07:01
Hello!(^-^)/

Make some holes at the packing
and microwave it about 3 minutes.
Or boil water in a pan,
and put it into boiling water,
(Don't take ikameshi out from the packing then!)
10 minutes later you can eat it.

That's on the label.
Excuse my poor English!(x_x;)
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: How to eat ikameshi? 2013/4/1 08:01
Thanks! I'll give the boiling method a try, see how that works out.

And no need at all to apologize for your English, after all I'm the one that should learn Japanese...
by WizardOfOss rate this post as useful

Re: How to eat ikameshi? 2013/4/2 03:36
Well, I tried it again today, now as specified by putting it in boiling water for 10 minutes. And while still not my favorite Japanese food, that way it actually is pretty good!
by WizardOfOss rate this post as useful

Re: How to eat ikameshi? 2013/4/3 02:23
Great, please try some Japanese sweets someday.
I heard they were produced on a large scale in Edo period because of sugar imported by Dutch traders who were the only European trading partner with Japan at that time.
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

reply to this thread