Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Wedding in Japan 2013/4/7 23:42
I am going to Japan for a wedding between my niece and a japaneese boy. Will his parents be expecting a gift from me? Would a book with pictures from Sweden be apropriate in that case?
by Astrid Råberg (guest)  

Re: Wedding in Japan 2013/4/8 21:28
Will his parents be expecting a gift from me?
Never.

BTW, maybe you give money about 70,000yen in goShugi-bukuro at reception desk of wedding place when you arrive there.
"goShugi-bukuro" http://goo.gl/CsuRg
You might want to ask your niece or her parents in advance?
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: Wedding in Japan 2013/4/8 22:14
Astrid Råberg,

Well, I wouldn't at all say "never" about the parents.

Are you representing the family of the bride? If so, it would be a nice gesture to bring a long a small something from your country. I once attended a Japanese friend's wedding in England on behalf of her parents. I was the only person coming from Japan and I brought along some small dishware for the English bride groom's parents.

But if someone closer to your niece is attending the wedding, discuss with that person. I don't think you have to actually shower the Japanese parents with gifts from the whole family.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Wedding in Japan 2013/4/9 12:40
Would a book with pictures from Sweden be apropriate in that case?

As a gift, that would be a nice gesture :)

If you are invited to attend the banquet along with other Japanese guests, the custom of "go-shugi" (money gift) might apply. But I have no idea where the first poster came up with that amount, which I consider too much in any case...

As Uco-san rightly suggested, I would discuss the matter with any other family member attending from your country, and also possibly talk to your niece about what kind of wedding it will be as well.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread